New Sony HXR-NX30E Palmcorder with advanced Stabilization - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old June 14th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #46
Trustee

Re: New Sony HXR-NX30E Palmcorder with advanced Stabilization

As an aside, I've found the NX70's waterproofing to be of really limited value. It's only good if you want to have picture with no usable sound.

You have to take off the XLR unit, it's not waterproof. You can't use any of the jacks (lanc, mic, headphone). So you can't use a decent mic, monitor sound, or get reliable zoom in the rain. The built-in mic pics up too much rain noise.

Yes it has its uses in the rain... But I bought a Petrol raincover for mine!

I should stress that I do physically like the NX70, apart from one or two shortcomings. I'll probably buy a bigger camcorder with more manual controls later this year, but keep the '70 for times when Small is Good.

Last edited by Mike Beckett; June 14th, 2012 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Can't type on iPad!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:25 AM   #47
Inner Circle

It's nice to not worry about my 5DM2 and it's lens shooting at the beach, high humidity etc. I think the weather sealing on the MX70 is similar... it's convenient when you are out and caught in some rain or get splashed for various reasons. It makes one less thing to haul around or worry about.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 07:44 AM   #48
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
The complaint about the CX760 and NX30 was the lack of manual controls. While the cameras may share some internal chipsets, the NX70 package has a different lens with a ring that is absent from the others. Add the larger screen and weather sealing and you have a different camera with better manual functions. And maybe the menu wheel isn't as cheesy. Oh wait, is that a real eye cup on the NX70? And a LANC port too? You obviously never used an underwater case. Pity the zoom is awful.
I think that the lens is likely the same lens but controlled by the lens ring which has to be a servo to have the multiple controls. Lanc is on all the Sony's in the A/V connector and is something I use all the time. Have controls for the A/V connector and the normal jack connector. Things I like about the NX70 that I hope are on the NX30. Full manual control, data on the LCD showing whether parameter is in manual or auto just like the NX5U. Though Alister seems to say manual control is not there. Will wait and see what the production units are like as most of those features are firmware so could be put on the unit. Lets hope.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #49
Inner Circle

The NX30 has a Carl Zeiss lens. The NX70 is Sony G. LANC is not listed for the NX30 on B&H or Sony UK sites.
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #50
Inner Circle

LANC is called A/V remote on all the new Sony's that use the A/V connector for the remote connection but it is LANC as I use both the remote with the A/V connector and Manfrotto LANC control using an adapter cable on all my consumer Sony's. The NX30 is the same and is listed on the spec sheet if you download the brochure http://www.sony.co.uk/res/attachment...7485120781.pdf Top right hand corner of page 4.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #51
Inner Circle

That's good to know and I'm glad Sony is still putting it on cameras ... thanks
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #52
Major Player

I have the 760 and use the A/V connector with a LANC adapter but my varizooms don't work. Manfrotto LANC controlers work fine for some reason. One thing nobody is really talking about is the Balanced Optical Steadyshot, it is amazing how steady it is. You can get a glidecam shot by hand! Also the 760 does com with a hood.

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #53
Major Player

[QUOTE=Dan Asseff;1738403]One thing nobody is really talking about is the Balanced Optical Steadyshot, . . . . Also the 760 does com with a hood. [QUOTE]

1. Actually, a lot of us have mentioned the the Balanced OIS as a feature that makes both the CX/PJ 760 and NX30 tempting,

2. Mind telling us where did you bought a 760 with a Sony hood? Just asking because I've seen no references to a hood for either the CX or PJ 760 at Sony or B&H.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #54
Regular Crew

On the Sony webpage under "Specifications", if you scroll down to "Weights and Measurements" it lists the dimensions and adds "(Including lens hood)."

96GB Full HD Camcorder with Projector | HDR-PJ760V | Sony USA
Adam Palomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #55
Major Player

Thanks. The page also lists a "lenshood" as "in the box" for the HDR-PJ760v.
Old June 15th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #56
Trustee

[quote=Jay West;1738435][QUOTE=Dan Asseff;1738403]One thing nobody is really talking about is the Balanced Optical Steadyshot, . . . . Also the 760 does com with a hood.
Quote:

1. Actually, a lot of us have mentioned the the Balanced OIS as a feature that makes both the CX/PJ 760 and NX30 tempting,

2. Mind telling us where did you bought a 760 with a Sony hood? Just asking because I've seen no references to a hood for either the CX or PJ 760 at Sony or B&H.
I own a CX760. I does in fact have the same lens hood as the NX30 and it does also have AGC limiting like the NX30.

Ironically, the CX760 allows for auto gain limit yet it never displays any "gain" values while shooting. You can only see what your gain "was" after you watch it in playback mode...lol. (otherwise its called "exposure" during shooting)

This I'm sure will confuse all soccer moms, grandparents and any other "consumer Handycam" market Cx760 shooter everywhere. (oh wait,...and NX30 pro market shooters too!)

All NXCAM branded cameras should allow for the 3 most basic functions camera control: shutter, iris and gain. (extremely basic stuff)

And don't tell me "Handycams" just don't ever do that.....VG20 and AX200 do today!

This NXCAM crippling tactic is a bad marketing mistake on Sony's part. It screams: "NXCAM is not a serious "pro" brand if it has cams with locked BASIC functions"

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #57
Regular Crew

I don't think I have seen mentioned yet another possible difference between the NX30 and the CX/PJ760V and that is the "Fixed" mode of the balanced optical steady shot.

This is from a European Sony website I found in a Google search for the NX30:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
"To optimize the effect of Balanced Optical SteadyShot™, the HXR-NX30E features a FIXED SHOT mode. Press a button and this expands the movable range of the optical block to keep you locked on your subject. This is particularly convenient when you want to maintain the same shooting angle for an extended period."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't seen any mention of this mode for the 760 on websites or in the 760 manual I downloaded. I'm not exactly sure what Fixed Mode means, but it sounds like if you want to shoot something with no panning or other intentional camera movement, pressing the "Fixed" button will result in even better stabilization. I'm thinking that normally the stabilization feature must have to try to determine which camera movement is unwanted, and therefore should try to correct it, and which is intentional and it should not try to correct it. In the fixed mode it wouldn't have to make that determination and could perhaps know that it should try to hold the fixed scene as steady as possible.

Last edited by Dale McClelland; June 17th, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Dale McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #58
Major Player

"Fixed mode" appears to mean that the lens-sensor unit is locked down so it will not float or "eyeball" as somebody called it. Does Sony maybe call it something different in the PJ/CX manuals? Maybe you just switch the OIS to off in the menus for the PJ/CX cams?
Old June 17th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #59
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
I own a CX760. I does in fact have the same lens hood as the NX30 and it does also have AGC limiting like the NX30.
So, for the extra $400 to $600 over the PJ/CX cam, the NX30 brings you:
(a) the XLR audio pack with phantom power;
(b) an external mic that mounts to the XLR unit;
(c) probably an NPFV70 battery (versus NPFV50);
(d) the ability to shoot 720p: and
(e), maybe the ability to lock timecode with an NX5.
Old June 17th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #60
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay West View Post
"Fixed mode" appears to mean that the lens-sensor unit is locked down so it will not float or "eyeball" as somebody called it. Does Sony maybe call it something different in the PJ/CX manuals? Maybe you just switch the OIS to off in the menus for the PJ/CX cams?
The word "Fixed" does indeed imply what you described. My thinking that it improves the stabilization when not intentionally moving the camcorder was based on the phrase "this expands the movable range of the optical block to keep you locked on your subject". That could just be fuzzy wording on Sony's part.

If it meant what I originally thought, there would be no need to "expand the moveable range of the optical block". I think your explanation makes more sense.
Dale McClelland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders