DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Sony NX5U firmware upgrade? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/506639-sony-nx5u-firmware-upgrade.html)

Mike Butir May 1st, 2012 03:25 PM

Re: Sony NX5U firmware upgrade?

unfortunately there will not be a firmware update for this camera. i got in touch with sony last week and there is no word of any update coming.. They are probably working on the next NX cam and simply feel there is no point.. Maybe theres a way to extract firmware from the Z5 to bring a histogram...? Or possibly someone can extract firmware from the NX5 for 720p recording on an AX-2000.... haha

Adam Gold May 1st, 2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikel Arturo (Post 1730816)
The AX-2000 is not a "domestic" cam (is a tapeless Z5), but is treated as if it were.

No, it is a tapeless FX1000 with the nice addition of XLRs. The NX5 is the tapeless Z5. I don't know if I would call either of the lower level cams a domestic cam but neither are they pro models like their more expensive brethren.

The reason the NX5 has 720p and the AX doesn't is obvious: so that those who needed this mode would have to spend more to buy the more expensive cam. This is done for Sony's benefit, not yours. There is no business reason at all why Sony would add this feature, and no chance they will. These always have been, and always will be, marketing, not design or engineering, decisions.

Every company in every business thinks this way (see: Apple, Disney). I used to fool myself into thinking that companies liked me and wanted me to like them in return. Now I know their only goal is to remove as much money from my pockets as is humanly possible without me hating them and vowing never to do business with them ever again, especially when it came time to buy a new product in their category. For each person this line is different. Obviously Sony has crossed this line with you. To date, they and Disney have not yet crossed this line with me, while Apple has.

Rob Cantwell May 2nd, 2012 03:51 AM

i think its a another case of wants or needs.

and on another note brand loyalty went out the door for me many years ago, I think Gateway was the last company i was suckered in by ;-)

Serggio Lamas August 23rd, 2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cristian Adrian Olariu (Post 1729794)
Thanks, Mauricio.
Mainly I use this profile:

black level: master black -15
gamma: cinematone1
black gamma: range middle, level -5
knee mode: manual (92,5 0)
color mode: type itu level8
color level: 2
color phase: 0
color depth: red -1
wb shift: lbcc
detail l level +2 (manual, -2, type 3, highlight -2)
skintone off

But I further modify the colors in post.
I use this profile only in good light, outside. Indoors I use the default profile.

Nice profile for day light with sharpness and crisp pic ,looking for night picture profile with the some sharpness and crisp picture,any one have to post the profile?

Giampaolo Carbonara September 29th, 2012 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Butir (Post 1730838)
unfortunately there will not be a firmware update for this camera. i got in touch with sony last week and there is no word of any update coming.. They are probably working on the next NX cam and simply feel there is no point.. Maybe theres a way to extract firmware from the Z5 to bring a histogram...? Or possibly someone can extract firmware from the NX5 for 720p recording on an AX-2000.... haha

Looking at the same price range it seems other producers are taking more care at the customers wishes.... Press Releases
Where are you Sony???

Ron Evans September 29th, 2012 07:00 AM

I would like AVCHD 2.0 on my NX5U but I expect the old sensors may not be up to the task. The new sensors in the PMW150 are likely the ones needed and that means a new camera. Sony will have to contend with the Panasonic AG-AC90 soon which does most of the functions at half the cost and is something I will look at when it comes out.

Ron Evans

Rob Cantwell November 20th, 2012 07:22 AM

I see that in PAL land theres a firmware update for the HXR-NX 5 E

Software : HXR-NX5E/NX5M : Firmware V4.00 : Software/Drivers : Sony Professional

is this worth installing?

Serggio Lamas November 21st, 2012 01:06 PM

Videoguys Australia Blog: SONY HXR-NX5 V4.00 Firware release

Ron Evans November 21st, 2012 03:07 PM

Don't understand this update. I bought my NX5U when they first came out. Updated to ver 2 to solve the FMU128 issue and from day one had 720P60 in my menus and have used from day one too. Is this an update for the AX2000 ?

Ron Evans

Justin Hewitt November 23rd, 2012 03:51 AM

the link from the Video Guys .. just says
"Folder is empty"

Rob Cantwell November 24th, 2012 12:20 PM

ah! this is for the HXR-NX5E (European model) sorry for the confusion!
I saw it on the Irish Sony support website theres a Firmware version 4 available for it, thats flagged as a 'NEW FEATURE: '720/50p HQ' for PAL version is selectable at the REC FORMAT on the MENU' I checked my NX5 and it already has this feature.

there was also a message about a potential error effecting HXR-NX5 it states 'Immediately after power-ON, the camera may vibrate and the error message E:62:10 may appear. The lens then shifts downwards, and the image vanishes gradually at the edges. If this symptom occurs, contact Sony for appropriate servicing.'
these are the serial numbers at risk;
HXR-NX5C 310,001–310,052
HXR-NX5E 210,001–214,380
HXR-NX5M 210,001–210,360
HXR-NX5N 410,001–413,120
HXR-NX5P 510,001–512,450
HXR-NX5U 110,001–115,970
thankfully mine isn't included in these blocks

Stelios Christofides December 2nd, 2012 06:23 AM

Just successfully updated my firmware to V4. I was so nervous during the process, because you never know what can go wrong.

stelios

Ron Evans December 2nd, 2012 08:48 AM

What did it add that you didn't have before?

Ron Evans

Stelios Christofides December 3rd, 2012 07:21 AM

Ron here is what is added:

NEW FEATURE:
'720/50p HQ' for PAL version is selectable at the REC FORMAT on the MENU.

stelios

Ron Evans December 3rd, 2012 08:13 AM

Didn't you have that before? My NX5U NTSC had 720 P60 from the day I got it several years ago. That is why I was puzzled by the firmware announcement. Did the PAL version not have that 720P50 from the start? Or are there different versions of the NX5U some that are more like the AX2000 but with the NX5 connections so would not have the 720P feature. Firmware has not been announced in NA presumably because all the NA models already had 720P60. I know of at least one person in UK with a NX5 that has 720P50 in his menus so he too is a little puzzled as to what the firmware is about.

Ron Evans