DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Help me make a choice.. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/506768-help-me-make-choice.html)

David Dwyer April 8th, 2012 11:08 AM

Help me make a choice..

I'm still using my Z1E and have done for that last 6 years, I love the camera but think its time to upgrade. I'm using the MRC1K.

When I saw that the NX70 was dusty proof I thought it was perfect but reading into the specs I'm not sure.

Pros for NX70 is dust proof/Small and compact/internal storage/GPS
Cons for NX70 Single CMOS Chip/Bright conditions are issue?/No ND filters/Shorter Zoom that Z1

So I thought about the NX5

Pros Longer zoom that Z1/3 CMOS Chips/Built in ND filters/GPS/My batteries from Z1 would still work.
Cons Getting old now? If its replaced in the next 12 months I'd be upset/Not dust proof but still can use my raincover from the Z1/More expensive than NX70

My heart is telling me get the NX5 but I do like the dust proof of the NX70.

I film WRC events:

I could continue using my Z1 but I have the feeling that it's going to fail due to heavy inside the unit. Doesn't effect the image at the moment as I've had it cleaned once already.

John Rakis April 8th, 2012 10:08 PM

Re: Help me make a choice..

Overall, users appear to be more satisfied with the NX5 than the NX70. Some of the issues raised by NX70 users were addressed by a firmware update released last week. One of the biggest complaints was a poorly functioning zoom rocker switch which has been well-documented in this forum. The firmware update allows the user to select from two zoom speeds. I’ve installed the update and found that the rocker zoom switch now functions much better for me, but still not as well as my old camera, a VX2100.

What I like the best about the camera is its small form factor. It’s easy to hold and very inconspicuous. I’m much more likely to bring it with me wherever I go and when I use it, it does not attract any attention. The downside of the small form factor is the need to use a touch screen for making many adjustments. The firmware update allows the user to reassign several of the camera’s buttons which I have found useful. But, despite this change, many adjustments still need to be made using the touch screen, which I have never grown fully accustomed to.

I’ve been very pleased with the quality of the NX70’s video, especially when viewed on a large LCD screen. When shooting outdoor footage, I’ve found that the camera’s automatic mode function works very well. I’ve never experienced any difficulties shooting in bright light, even without the built-in ND filters.

I’ve never used the NX5, but my sense is that if you usually shoot from a tripod and don’t need the small form factor, you may be happier with that camera.

John Knight April 8th, 2012 10:15 PM

Completely agree with John. I own the Z7 as a main tripod camera and the NX70 as a secondary B-cam and run-gun cam. NX70 has a beautiful active steady shot and lovely wide lens. It does also work fantasically well on full auto. It would suck for a main tripod camera.

The NX5 is getting fairly old now - I was expecting it to be updated at NAB but it looks like they've only released a smaller EX line - the PMW-100. Might be worth looking into?

Paul Wood April 9th, 2012 01:30 AM

I have also concluded that the camera works best on full auto, and the image quality is excellent.
The form factor makes it easy to use in quick run and gun situations, and it is very inconspicuous for low key filming.
I also use it as a B cam for my FS100, and the footage cuts well together.

One thing to bear in mind, though, is that for the full dust and water proofing to be effective, the external XLR box needs to be disconnected, and the flap over the hot shoe closed.

Mike Beckett has commented on this below in the thread ¨Thoughts on the NX70's waterproofing¨

David Dwyer April 9th, 2012 11:03 AM

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm not going to buy the NX70/NX5 as I don't feel I would be happy with them as a replacement.

I will save my pennies and put the money towards EX1R or its replacement if out in the next 8 months?