Any footage of NX5 using an external recorder? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old April 13th, 2012, 06:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Any footage of NX5 using an external recorder?

We are looking at either picking up an EX3 or an NX5+external recorder (Ninja or similar).
I have used the EX3 extensively and love it, but if I could get similar quality footage recording the HDMI out of the NX5, I would rather save the $$!

My challenge is finding any NX5 HDMI-out recorded footage.

Does anyone know of any such footage or maybe a review from a reputable source that has compared the quality of these 2 cameras?

I know the internally recorded footage is not as good as the EX series, I am specifically interested in the 4:2:2 output.

Thanks!

ps - I think this question has been asked about every 6 months for the last year or so, but I have not seen any replies.
Andrew Bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Any footage of NX5 using an external recorder?

Andrew...the Atomos Samurai actually lets you use the locking HD/SDI port from the 'NX5' (or any camera with an SDI connector) rather than fiddle with HDMI connector. Personally, I went with the SDI capable Samurai myself.

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi James,

I'm with you. I would be leaning towards the Samurai (Since I am such a Toshiro Mifune fan).
I have yet to see if the footage would compete with an EX1/3 recorded to SxS though.

I have done three camera shoots using an EX3 and two Z5s and the EX is so much better you can easily see it in the final standard def DVD.

I simply need to see some of recorded footage to see how good it really is (in comparison).

Do you know of any sample videos out there?

Andrew
Old April 13th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #4
Major Player

Take a look at this:

Atomos Samurai | XDCAM-USER.COM
Old April 14th, 2012, 03:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Great resource and article!

I still would really like to see a sample of the NX5 recorded at 4:2:2.
I just don't know if the NX5 is a good long-term investment. Both the EX3 and the NX5 + Samurai are a chunk of change and with all the new cameras coming out, we just are being a bit over analytical.

I'm sure they would both be great, but I can't help but mentally piece together features from a variety of Sony cameras to try to make my ultimate purchase.
1/2" new chips (x3)
50Mbs Solid state recording
HD-SDI output
Motorized zoom control (good for using studio kits, etc)
oh...and priced less than $10k!

So basically, I just need to get something over next the month or so. I really like the Z5 lens so I am sure I will like the NX5, but I have just had so much fun whenever I use the EX3.

My motto is that "Nothing new ever comes out until you buy something."

I just know that as soon as I buy something, BOOM, there's the new press release!
So given that I have accepted this as fact, I want to make doubly sure that whatever I buy will be good for a while. We are still using our VX2000 whenever SD quality is sufficient. It still looks and works like brand new.

Andrew
Old April 14th, 2012, 11:02 AM   #6
Major Player

Andrew...LMAO! Exactly! The moment I 'buy' something, you can guarantee, the next day it will be replaced by the 'Newest, latest & greatest!'. Chasing technology is a fools folly.

I like the Atomos Samurai because it delays the inevitable 'technology upgrade' for awhile. That is until 4:4:4 becomes the defacto standard.

Regards,

J.
Old April 16th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Oh my... it looks like JVC went ahead and designed the updated NX5!
JVC Professional Specifications page

XDCAM EX and AVCHD recording on one camera for $5500.
It will be interesting to see when it actually comes out.

I'm sad that there is a chance my next camera won't be a Sony. :(

Andrew
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #8
Inner Circle

There are now two updated competitors to the NX5U, the Panasonic AC160 and this new JVC. However both these are not completely up to date for my desires. AVCHD 2.0 with 1920x1080P60, full 10bit 422 output on HD/SDi and HDMI larger LCD with full touch controls like the consumer cams would do it for me to upgrade. Sony must have other views because they have all the bits to do this and I would rush out to buy just like I did for my NX5U. For now I will buy the NX30 to replace my CX700.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I am also curious to know how much the quality would be improved with the ninja on the NX5. I currently own the NX5 and the results are stunning as they are now, i couldn't imagine how much better the image would look with this external recorder. From what i read on the reviews for the unit on B&H it seems that it has greatly improved picture quality. i read that a user was about to get rid of his Z5 and he bought the ninja and labeled it as a whole new camera. Compression certainly does play a big role in picture quality, so it doesn't surprise me that the results are going to be better! whether its a night and day difference.. i don't know

Mike
Mike Butir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
...AVCHD 2.0 with 1920x1080P60, full 10bit 422 output on HD/SDi and HDMI larger LCD with full touch controls like the consumer cams would do it for me to upgrade.
Ron,
Isn't the HD-SDI output on the NX5 10bit at 4:2:2?

Andrew
Old April 25th, 2012, 06:28 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Yes I think it is 10 bit but I think the data is 8 bit so 2 bits are always 0. At least that is my understanding. Not sure if the present sensors warrant full 10bit output though. I think Sony would not need to do much to improve the product. As I said I would be happy to pay for a hardware upgrade as I like the layout etc.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I'm also wondering whether anyone has any test footage taken with an NX5 and external recorder they are willing to share. I recently did a very unscientific comparison between raw AVCHD footage shot directly from the NX5 and live footage being show over HDMI (of the same scene) and the difference was night and day - the live uncompressed footage was an order of magnitude sharper than the AVCHD material and had a noticeably more colour depth too (4:2:2 vs AVCHD 4:2:0). The results are so staggering, however, that I am not sure how much they are influenced between the two monitors I was using and the fact that the live footage was being streamed to the screen directly at uncompressed 1.5Gb/s (which an external recorder obviously does not record at).

If I were able to get the increase in quality that I've seen from my test in my recorded files though, I'd go out tomorrow and buy a Samurai or HyperDeck Shuttle. I don't want to do that unless I'm sure that there would be a large difference in quality, hence I'm looking for anyone who has footage of any external recordings from the NX5.
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I am getting more and more interested in this unit! The more i read up on it and consider the options you are exposed to with this unit, are a lot to offer at the price point of both units (nina and samurai) offer.

I would consider this unit killing 3 birds with 1 stone.. essentially you are getting a monitor, converting footage to pro res and of course the higher bit rate. if you consider the cost of a cheap monitor you are still forking out about 300-400 dollars, that right there saves money on a monitor down the road.. also this will save time when importing footage into FCP, no more having to wait for FC to convert AVCHD to pro res!! If i see a video taken with this unit compared to the AVCHD codec, and the footage blows away the old compression, i will jump on this unit!
Mike Butir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 05:18 PM   #14
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bower View Post
Great resource and article!

I still would really like to see a sample of the NX5 recorded at 4:2:2.
I just don't know if the NX5 is a good long-term investment. Both the EX3 and the NX5 + Samurai are a chunk of change and with all the new cameras coming out, we just are being a bit over analytical.

I'm sure they would both be great, but I can't help but mentally piece together features from a variety of Sony cameras to try to make my ultimate purchase.
1/2" new chips (x3)
50Mbs Solid state recording
HD-SDI output
Motorized zoom control (good for using studio kits, etc)
oh...and priced less than $10k!

So basically, I just need to get something over next the month or so. I really like the Z5 lens so I am sure I will like the NX5, but I have just had so much fun whenever I use the EX3.

My motto is that "Nothing new ever comes out until you buy something."

I just know that as soon as I buy something, BOOM, there's the new press release!
So given that I have accepted this as fact, I want to make doubly sure that whatever I buy will be good for a while. We are still using our VX2000 whenever SD quality is sufficient. It still looks and works like brand new.

Andrew
Check this footage recorded with the nx5 422

Armando Montoya is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders