DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   AX-2000 or Z5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/507406-ax-2000-z5.html)

Mark Chafe April 30th, 2012 09:02 AM

AX-2000 or Z5

Hello,

For the last few weeks I have been purchasing, renting and testing some camcorders and asking on the forums here about them. I have come from PD-170's and Z1U and still have some sony accessories and batteries. As i have not been completely happy with any of the purchases I have made with consumer camcorders, I am looking at biting the bullet and get either an AX2000 or Z5 or FX1000. The picture quality of the consumer cameras were impressive, however going down to those style of cameras is a bit crippling for me.

I know some of the differences compared to the AVCHD and HDV, however is one camera better in quality or features over the other? The AX2000 and Z5 are priced around the same so its more of an choice between tape or SD Card or is it as simple as that? Or is it a good time to buy one of these cameras?

Thanks
Mark

Rob Cantwell April 30th, 2012 04:01 PM

Re: AX-2000 or Z5

I guess it's really down to tape or card

remember you'll need to have good computer to deal with AVCHD if you decide to go with shooting to card.

R

Adam Gold April 30th, 2012 05:11 PM

And remember with the addition of the MRC recording unit to the FX1000 or its big brother the Z5, you can shoot to both tape and card and have the benefit of the easier-to-edit HDV format. And the MRC integrates seamlessly with the Z5 -- no shoe or cable required.

Also note that the AX is really more the equivalent of the FX than the Z5 in terms of what it can do, although it does have the XLRs that the FX lacks. The FX, AX, Z5 and NX5 all share the same chips and lens.

Mikel Arturo May 1st, 2012 02:12 PM

The AX-2000 is a great cam. But if the price is similar to NX-5, I will recomend you get it.

Remember that NX-5 have a MIC and a powerful battery, SDI-OUT, PCM recording, FMU dual recording option and 720p 50p recording mode.

In the other hand, AX-2000 and NX-5 are 3 years old cams. There will be a substitute near.

The "modern" NX-5 in the Panasonic AG-160a. Is the same as the NX-5, more or less, but:

- Full raster CMOS (1920x1080 x 3 cmos, more than NX-5).
- 1080p 50p recording mode (very useful for slow motion).
- Varicam speeds.
- x22 optical/mechanical zoom and a usable x1.5 digital zoom (or x2?).
- Dual recording mode to two SDCARDS, for backup.

There are two AG-160: the orignal and the new AG-160a.
Also, there are two AG-130, the "AX-2000" equivalent in the Panasonic world, less expensive with less options.

In general, go TAPELESS. With dual card or FMU recording backup... tape is doomed.