Manfrotto LANC problem - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old May 4th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: Manfrotto LANC problem

Quote: - After having a good look through the manual I've found the menu setting for the remote is only to turn on/off access to the supplied wireless remote (which is as useful as tits on a bull).

In the absence of Lanc: -

When I upgraded from a PD 150 with Lanc I ended up with 2 cameras that had IR remotes. Even worse both were designed to only receive the IR signal from the front. I found the IR remotes could be made more useful by using a simple reflector to direct the signal from some other direction into the sensor. It is also possible to buy TV remote extenders in either kit form or already made up. These have a sensor that picks up the signal from the remote, copies it and retransmits via an IR emitting diode that can be at the end of a lead at least several metres long. I have sited the emitters close to the camera’s sensor.

I would prefer Lanc but the IR remote is very useful, Jaycar sell an extender kit for about $25.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:01 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Chris was barking up the same tree I was... but because of the signal resistor used in the A/V jack, indeed the Sony schematics often show parallel injection points from what I've been able to suss out. Actually pretty carzy when you get the service manuals and you see how they've put I/O function interfaces in various places!

The IR remote on/off is actually handy - nothing like a stray IR signal turning your camera "off" or to standby in the middle of a live shoot! Thus the advantage of WIRED - no "strays"!

I still think might be worth contacting Manfrotto, maybe they can shed some light on the situation, but other than that, yep, probably time to buy another "new toy" to plug into that NX...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:10 AM   #33
Trustee

I do recall from elsewhere that there were problems with the more complex Manfrotto remotes on various cameras, and I'm sure they needed an update at one point. Hard to say if it's Sony's fault or Manfrotto's though.

As Dave says, do let Manfrotto know. They might be able to do something if it's not a one-off, and might be glad of the heads-up (and maybe make it a freebie for you!). The NX70 probably share the same gubbins as the NX30 and other compact Sonys that are coming onstream, so it may not be a minor problem. Who knows!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post

The IR remote on/off is actually handy - nothing like a stray IR signal turning your camera "off" or to standby in the middle of a live shoot! Thus the advantage of WIRED - no "strays"!
I agree that having the ability to switch it off it a great idea but it's been a rare occasion when I've actually used any of the remotes that have come with my Sony cameras (or any camera besides my DSLRs).

I'd rather they gave me the bigger battery than a remote. :)
Scott Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #35
Trustee

I know what you mean Scott... every time I have sold/exchanged a camera, the remote is still in its plastic bag and untouched. I've never had the need for them! I'm sure someone, somewhere in Sony-land likes them, but it's hardly a key feature.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #36
Major Player

From the NX70U manual, is this relevant?

18. REMOTE jack
The REMOTE jack is used for controlling playback, etc. on the video device and peripherals connected to it.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #37
Regular Crew

I read that, but it doesn't make much sense, and Sony don't actually make an attachment for that purpose.
Scott Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
Yeah It's a dedicated 2.5mm mini-jack. It's on the left in this photo, labelled as REMOTE
So from what I can gather from the manual, the port on the left is the dedicated REMOTE port (LANC) and the one on the right is the AV/R (also remote) port. Here are a couple of things to try:

Have you tried using the LANC port with nothing connected to the AV/R port? Sony often has a bizarre hierarchy of which ports are active when multiple ports are connected.

Also, have you tried a LANC to AV conversion cable? They're cheap and readily available and I got a few of them when I upgraded my small Sony Handycams but not my Manfrotto LANC Controllers. Sub-mini at one end for the Manfrotto and AV D-connector at the other end for Sony AV/R.

Here's an example, even though they're out of stock at the moment. Imagine they could be found on eBay.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/643923-REG/VariZoom_VZ_AV_LANC_Mini_Audio_Video_to_LANC.html

If you need to use the AV for monitoring as well as LANC, the crane mfrs make splitters that will allow you to do both. Check with Cobra Crane -- one of my students has this and it works great on his VG20.
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:36 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Interesting idea, I'll have to look into that.
Scott Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders