ATOMOS Ninja remove compression artifacts? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old June 7th, 2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

ATOMOS Ninja remove compression artifacts?

Hello everyone,

I know there is already a post similar to this, however, I'm curious if this recorder unit will reduce any compression artifacts with the NX5? working in final cut pro and blowing up my footage to full screen i can see slight noise introduced.. I'm wondering if thats due to the 24Mbps compression? would the recorder completely produce a much sharper/cleaner image?

Another note: will this recorder also allow you to record longer slow motion? (simply but just recording on the unit to record continuous 120 frames per second and then slowing down in post) if thats the case and actually works, will the picture also look better too? when shooting in slow mo with this camera the quality tends to go down. If that would indeed work, i feel this unit will be well worth the money with both issues being resolved.

Let me know your thoughts,
Mike
Mike Butir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: ATOMOS Ninja remove compression artifacts?

The Ninja and Samurai record uncompressed footage (or ProRes 422), so no, there would be no compression artefacts.

As far as longer slow motion, it would depend on what access to cards you have now? You could put a larger SSD in and record longer, but remember that because it's uncompressed a typical SSD won't hold much footage...

If the quality goes down (I haven't shot in slow mo yet), is it because the camera reduces resolution down to capture more frames? If so I'd say that's a sensor thing rather than an AVC thing and the ATOMOS recorders won't help there.
Ryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Ryan!

the only concern i have is if it is actually a significant difference in quality, if that recorder is really worth forking out a grand.. i have not been able to see any before and after examples of this uint put to test, so it scares me to make a decision without seeing it in action first. I'm also curious how the ex1 and ex3 record at just 10mbps higher, if that is really a big jump in reducing compression artifacts as well.. is that a huge jump? (not that I'm looking into those cameras, just trying to think how only 10mbps makes that camera shine. aside from the 1/2 chip set)

let me know your thoughts
Mike Butir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Major Player

Mike...I don't know if this will help, but Alister did a very thorough review of the ATOMOS Samurai with screen shots and 'A/B comparisons'. T

atomos | Search Results | XDCAM-USER.COM

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders