DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Sony Wide-Angle Adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/508437-sony-wide-angle-adapter.html)

James Kuhn June 11th, 2012 10:36 AM

Sony Wide-Angle Adapter

I recently purchased a pre-owned Sony VCLHG0872K Wide Conversion Lens Kit. I really like the perspective the lens gives me, and freely admit to liking a 'W-A' view of the world, primarily because I'm a 'Wide-Angle' kind of guy. Heh, heh! My 'standard' lens during my life as a 'stills' photog was 21mm Leica W-A prime on my M3 and M6 Range-Finders.

Some folks have noted the weight of the 'adapter' is a bit much and quite honestly it is a tad on the heavy side. However, the lens imparts very few, if any optical artifacts to the overall image. I don't see any odd coloration or fringing, and little or no barrel affect.

There was a thread I read about a BOLEX Aspheron W-A adapter, it effectively converts the standard 'G' NX5U lens into 16mm Wide-Angle with very little, if any 'barrel affect'. I'd like to hear more about that lens if anyone has experience with it.

I've decided it will remain my 'standard' lens on my 'NX5U', at least for the time being.

Regards,

J.

Ryan Jones July 10th, 2012 06:17 PM

Re: Sony Wide-Angle Adapter

Sounds good James. Do you have screenshots before/after to show the difference?

James Kuhn July 11th, 2012 10:09 AM

Ryan...no, I don't have screen shots. I wish I was a little more computer savy, I'm not too versed in attaching images to threads.

Regards,

J.

Chuck Fishbein July 11th, 2012 02:32 PM

Curious is you received the wide angle lens shade that originally came with that WA lens with your purchase. It was oddly oversized making it difficult to travel with, but it did allow the use of a 4x4 filter and the matte box closed like the the EX1 lens shade, which was a plus.

James Kuhn July 12th, 2012 11:53 AM

Chuck...yes, the overall size is rather large. I'd leave it attached all the time, but I'm afraid of the cantalever effect on the mount. Honestly, I don't think it's an issue, though I don't leave it on the camera all the time.

I really like the perspective the W-A lens provides. As I said, being an old 'stills photog', I've always preferred wide-angle lenses. This would be my new normal for this camera if I knew it wouldn't damage the camera if left for an extended period.

Regards,

J.

Tom Hardwick July 13th, 2012 04:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Guess I'm the man who should talk to you James as I have three of these Bolex Aspheron wide-angle adapters. I've bought them all direct from Bolex in Switzerland and have used them on my VX2k, my Z1 and now the NX5. It's a pretty expensive 0.55x single aspherical element, designed originally for the Vario-Switar 12.5 to 100mm lens for 16mm film cameras.

The lens worked fine on the VX2k because that had a feeble 38?mm (equiv) wide-angle. It also was good on the Z1 which started out with a 32,5mm lens, taking it down to 18mm. The NX5 starts out with a 29.5 mm lens so the Aspheron makes that just shy of 16mm, and this is impressive as it still leaves you with a zoom that goes from 00 to 76 yet gives zero barrel distortion.

But sad to say that although the centre of the image is very sharp the corners aren't so good, and zooming up to 20mm (say) doesn't really help - the CA is still there. There's something about the design of the G lens that the Aspheron doesn't really like, and I don't know what it is. Not that this matters for a lot of shots where the effect rather than the resolution is what you're after.

Shame really, as it's a very powerful wide-angle giving you huge control over perspective distortion. It's a single element that's beautifully T* multi-coated so flare levels are well controlled. Impossible to hood I find.

tom.

James Kuhn July 13th, 2012 11:38 AM

Mr. Hardwick...greatings from the 'Colonies'! Thank you for your thoughtful response. I've done some research on the Bolex W-A adapters. I believe I read your recommendation on another thread. The Bolex adapters are pricey, but well made. I will probably investigate further when I get replace my current camera.

Best regards,

J.

Ryan Jones July 14th, 2012 06:54 AM

Already looking to replace James? Tisk tisk tisk. Is the lure of the FS700 that strong? ;-)

If you don't have a screen shot, do you have some video comparison? I'd be keen to see the difference in shot for myself before I stump up the cash. I'm especially keen to see how it looks on normal interview footage.

James Kuhn July 14th, 2012 10:40 AM

Greetings Ryan! I'm only looking the future. Heh, heh! I'll see what I can do.

Regards,

J.