Cinematone - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old August 10th, 2012, 04:20 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Cinematone

Never mind, just saw that my cx730 keeps a constant F4.0 outside and rides the shutter to keep it at that level, it's sunny outside today and I saw shutter speeds close to 1/500. I did realize suddenly I had a 52mm nd2-400 collecting dust here (use don my old nikon nikkors with my t2i) and screwed that on just now. Problem is that I can't find a way to show shutterspeed, iso and f-stop while filming, only during playback so I have no clue what the camera's does when turning the nd filter. If I use a too high nd value the iso will kick in and that's not good either.

Does the nx70 show these values while filming?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 05:47 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Yes it does in Manual mode (Not auto). Set the lens ring to control iris & use the screen icons for shutter & gain.
Chris Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stevens View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Problem is that I can't find a way to show shutterspeed, iso and f-stop while filming, only during playback
Does the nx70 show these values while filming?
Yes it does in Manual mode (Not auto)
I'll just leave this here.
Attached Thumbnails
Cinematone-dsc05220.jpg  
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I was hoping you"d show an image of a cx730/740/760 with that info in record mode :) but it's good to know that at least it is included on the nx70.
I only wished the small Sony's did this as well, maybe I overlooked but only found it possible to see this when the camera is in playback, quite stupid as you don't need that info after you filmed it, guess Sony deliberately limited some of the functions so more advanced users would buy their more expensive camera's. Maybe a magic lantern version can be made for this? :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #20
Major Player

I agree it's odd. Especially when a $600 Sony DSLR, sorry 'SLT' displays everything.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #21
Inner Circle

VG 20 and NX70: I have both the VG20 and NX70 at the moment. Their GUI's are very similar, and when I used them together the first time this weekend, I got a bit confused when I was looking for a minor feature on one, that was only on the other camera.

After my brief use, I am pretty sure these cameras will cut well together and that was something I was looking for, rather than go with the XF100.

The benefit of the smaller chip camera came up right away is a wide shot in which a I needed a deep depth of field. In the area I was shooting, I could not have gotten everything in as sharply as with the NX70.

There is no doubt the image in on the NX70 camera is a lot cleaner and sharper than my old FX1.

I think the NX70 is going to give a sharper image in daylight and well lighted situartions, but the VG20 is a lot cleaner in lower light situations. Even so, I find the grain of both cameras in low light situation to be very fine...... a lot like grain in Tri-X black and white film that was popular for low light film shooting.

Lack of adjustibility frustrates me a bit. Its like Sony is saying I am too dumb to know what I would do with the camera, even though I am smart enough to write a check for $2,700. Realistically, though, I have to agree with Chris Stevens that Sony has left room on the 70, as well as the VG20, to add saturation, maybe a bit more contrast, and sharpness in post if you think it is warranted. I have used sharpness a lot on the VG20 in the past without adding that funky looking edges.

Viewfiner seems sharp, and seem same apparent size as on my FX1. I am starting to get used to touch screening on the VG20, and now the NX70.

Not have had them yet in a camera I owned, I do love the XLR capability of the NX70, but realistically, the unit now be added by the manufactures for removal, are really just XLR adapters,

I am sitting here with a case full of old SLR lenses, and my Canon 5D Mark II as well as a T2i, which I have tricked out with a few accessories, and with Magic Lantern, but I am beginning to wonder whether I will ever go back to shooting them.
Old August 13th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #22
Trustee

Sold me T2i about 6 months ago to help buy the VG20 and I haven't regretted it for a second. The VG20 makes some incredibly cinematic pictures. It's sensitivity in low light is simply amazing. I've railed against the lack of pro controls since the start, but it's really the only camera at it's price range that can do everything that it does.
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 03:32 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Update on my 70u saga.

Today, after some real gut checking, I realized the 70u is just not adjustable enough to me. So I took advantage of Sony Stores 30 day return policy. Come on Sony, you could have done better.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders