MTS and MPEG diffenrent timestamp at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old January 25th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

MTS and MPEG diffenrent timestamp

For some reason that I cannot explain the timestamp of a simultaneous HD/MTS and MPEG-2 is different.
When recording both start at the same time. However, the HD/MTS files has a 30 minutes difference.

Would anyone know why? If so, how do I make both have the same recoding time as per hh:mm:ss.

With regards!
Old January 26th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: MTS and MPEG diffenrent timestamp

Hi Daniel not something I normally do. But I set up my NX5U for 1920x1080 60i on the FMU128 as normal and 720x480 for SD recording on a Patriot 32G SD card. Reset the timecode to 0 and did a quick recording. For me both recordings are the same time and timecode displays. Other than playing with user bits time setting not sure how you could play with the timecode display. I have not played with this but you may have the timecode set to regenerate in which case it would carry on from the last recording I think !! I have mine set on rec run. If I understand reegenerate it may be that there are different timecodes on the FMU128 and the SD card !!! I don't have time to try now.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hello Ron,

Thanks for your response. I think I need to had information..

In my situations the name of the files is important. Since the beginning I have been able to control the name of the MPEG files to my need. However this is not the same with MTS files created on the FMU.

I need to only keep individual MPEG and MTS file. Each of those single files correspond for a shot I've filmed for a customer. Customer #10 has a M2U01002.mpg and a xxxx25.MTS, Customer #25 has a M2U02503 and a xxx34.MTS.... And so on.

MTS files are all sequential and I understand why. each time I press the record button a MPEG and a MTS files is created accordingly. Since the name of the MPEG is controlled I want to modify the name of the MTS to fit the name of the a MPEG file I.e M2U01002.mpg and M2U01002.MTS.

All of thaï manipulation is to be done after the files are moved onto my computer. I use an AppleScript program to do this.

My problem is the following. MPEG and MTS file name do no fit together. However, I've thought that at least the time in hh:mm:ss those file are registered on the SDHC card and the FMU disk would be the same. it's not, there is a 30 minutes difference. This is then very difficult for me to write an AppleScript program to rename MTS file by matching MPEG an MTS base on file registered time.

I need to make the registered time to be equal for both.

Many thanks!
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I am on a PC of course and using the Sony software to transfer, both files have exactly the same name and on inspection the same timecode. Files are named such as 20130126083520.m2ts and 20130126083520.mpg the time the clip was taken according to the clock in the NX5U. If I recall you swap SD cards through the event but the FMU stays for the whole event? As I mentioned it may be that the timecode is set to regenerate under TC Make in the menu so would carry on from the last recorded clip on the SD card if I read the information. Not tried this so don't really know but it would be worth you checking if that is how you have the timecode setup. TC Make needs to be set to Preset. The manual does say the FMU and SD may not be the same but I wouldn't expect a big difference or maybe they are referring to this issue of TC Make being different on the media. This is not something I do, but every time I have checked with time code set to Rec Run and TC Make set to Preset the files have exactly the same name as above.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders