Camera bag recommendation for NX5U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old March 20th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Camera bag recommendation for NX5U

Hi everyone:

Just a general question for everyone. B&H no longer carry the old Kata CC 193, and don't know much if the new 193 one is better, beyond what I see in the photos. So just looking for camera bag recommendations or feedback to know if the newer one is better.

Thanks!

Robert
Robert Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Camera bag recommendation for NX5U

I have the Petrol PDRB 3 which has been discontinued but it's been replaced by the PC 003 which is very similar. I've been completely happy with the construction and quality of their bags. I also have the NX5u and there's plenty of room for accessories etc...
Jack Temple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 02:17 AM   #3
New Boot

Robert,
I have just bought the Kata 192 for my NX5. The quality is superb. I went for the 192 instead of the 193 as I do not carry any extras other than a spare battery. It is a very tight fit with the mic attached but perfect for what I needed. If you need some room for a few extras the 193 should be ok.

This is my first "pro" camera bag so I cannot compare it to any others but I am very pleased with it.

Best wishes,

Ken
Ken Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:05 AM   #4
Trustee

Ken,

That's an excellent bag... the new Katas are a bit better than the old CC- range in my opinion (I have a CC-193 as well). I got the CC-195 for my new Panasonic AC130, and am delighted with it. It's just really a re-style of the old CC range, I think the zips are better and the build is a bit better (with stiff inserts to keep the shape of the bag). I think the shoulder strap is a better design too.

In theory I should have bought the same one as you, but I wanted something that could fit the camera with the mic and softie mounted to it. I've spent too long dismantling my camera before putting it in its case, I just want to be able to unzip the bag and be ready for action.

Excellent bags at reasonable prices, in my opinion.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Major Player

The Petro's are nice but may be out of my budgt. but I"m also glad to hear the new 193 are just as good.
I may be leaning towards the later (easy on the wallet. :) ) but I'll start shopping around for a good price.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I have a Lowepro backpack that carries my NX5U, XR500, CX700, NX30, batteries for all, LANC controllers , headphones and there is a pocket for a laptop too. Best thing I bought. I can carry everything other than the tripods on my back.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Major Player

this is what i have, mine's blue colour.
http://static.bhphoto.com/images/ima...500/400706.jpg
i bought it second-hand when i got my NX5, I find it very good for the camera and light spare batteries and other assorted stuff.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:08 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks everyone.

I went to the store and was about to purchase the 193, only to be told that they had just sold it to a larger client, but they were nice enough to upgrade me to the bigger 195 at the 193 price.

My only concern was that there's a slight gap in-between the duo zippers, so that there is a remote possibility that heavy rain or particles could get inside the bag. But the bigger size, and the material quality was enough to outweight the minor flaw. That and I can always throw a plastic covering inside to insure nothing gets wet...

Robert
Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:23 PM   #9
Inner Circle

PCCB-2N Petrol bag here and it's perfect for the NX5, Liliput, K6/ME66, LED light and lots of batteries. At the BVE show in London last month Petrol were showing a neat LED strip light that would velcro anywhere inside the bag. Neat! Why didn't I think of that?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
I have a Lowepro backpack that carries my NX5U, XR500, CX700, NX30, batteries for all, LANC controllers , headphones and there is a pocket for a laptop too. Best thing I bought. I can carry everything other than the tripods on my back.

Ron Evans
Ron, what's the model number/style of that Lowpro backpack?

Thanks!

Jr. Pascual
49 Productions
Junior Pascual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 02:05 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Sorry for the slow reply it is a CompuTrekker Plus AW. Not sure what the equivalent model is now.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #12
New Boot

I use the Kata BP-502 backpack. It holds the NX5 perfectly and can hold even more. Its great for me because I like hiking and outdoors filming, so I can put the NX5 as well as a DLSR body and some smaller sized lenses.
Roger Oconnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders