NX5 in a Coma at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old August 21st, 2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Trustee

NX5 in a Coma

I have three NX5U cameras (and considering getting a 4th during the B&H special)

But one of them has "gone into a coma". I left four cameras (three NX5U and one EX1) running one evening, and came the next morning to find one of the NX5 cameras all but dead.

Symptoms: You can see a normal-looking image in the viewfinder, and the lens rings appear to work. But NONE of the other controls (even including the power switch!) have any effect. The only way to turn it off is to disconnect the power. There is no response to the remote control, and no output from the SDI BNC connector.

I guess I will have to figure out how to send it back to Sony for repair. (Beyond warranty) What a hassle.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 04:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: NX5 in a Coma

just a guess here but is there a reset button like they had on the PD series? If there is I don't think you have anything to lose by trying that.
Old August 21st, 2013, 07:00 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Try the reset button with a full battery or better yet mains power. The reset is under the LCD panel above the menu button.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Try the reset button
Thanks, Don and Ron. While the reset button appears to do something (at least it delays the turn-on sequence) it does not appear to do anything to fix the symptoms. :-(
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

So Richard, what did Sony say and did about the problem? What caused it in the first place?
Thank you for sharing (we may avoid a 'coma' if we know the reason. Maybe...).

L.
Luc Novovitch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders