DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   28Mbs 60p vs 24Mbs 30p (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/520893-28mbs-60p-vs-24mbs-30p.html)

Marius Boruch January 3rd, 2014 03:24 PM

28Mbs 60p vs 24Mbs 30p

How does it work...they say that camera is recording 60p @ 28Mbs and when shooting 30p @ 24Mbs. Using logic and simple math it looks like each frame in 60p should be @0.46 Mbs while 30p 0.8Mbs so picture quality in 30 should be best...
In your opinion for footage viewed on HD TV which setting would produce best picture quality? what about 60i?

Ron Evans January 3rd, 2014 07:45 PM

Re: 28Mbs 60p vs 24Mbs 30p

Compression doesn't work that way. The AVCHD is a longGOP codec recording an i frame then difference frames. Only the differences need to be recorded so the difference between 30fps and 60fps are not that much in terms of differences that need to be recorded. Personally I shoot 60P.

Ron Evans

Marius Boruch January 3rd, 2014 08:02 PM

Agree, 60p comes very handy if for example slow motion is needed (providing that you have such a beautiful software like Sony Vegas which accepts EVERYTHING in timeline - all resolutions, formats, p and i...everything except aac). I feel sorry for those who work with Apple final cut and Premiere. Would you believe they are still in those "red rendering line" times - but that's another subject.

David Heath January 3rd, 2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1826523)
Compression doesn't work that way. The AVCHD is a longGOP codec recording an i frame then difference frames. Only the differences need to be recorded so the difference between 30fps and 60fps are not that much in terms of differences that need to be recorded. Personally I shoot 60P.

To amplify what Ron says, then whether it's 30p or 60p, the I frames are recorded at the same time interval in each case, typically two a second. Since they are much larger than difference frames in terms of data size, that's why doubling the framerate does not mean anything like doubling the coded datarate for a long-GOP system.

Ron Evans January 3rd, 2014 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marius Boruch (Post 1826524)
Agree, 60p comes very handy if for example slow motion is needed (providing that you have such a beautiful software like Sony Vegas which accepts EVERYTHING in timeline - all resolutions, formats, p and i...everything except aac). I feel sorry for those who work with Apple final cut and Premiere. Would you believe they are still in those "red rendering line" times - but that's another subject.

Yes I use Edius Pro7 and Vegas 12 they edit almost everything from native files realtime. I have CS6 production suite for Photoshop and After Effects and don't use Premiere these days. Main editor is Edius with Vegas mainly used for audio.

Ron Evans

Marius Boruch January 3rd, 2014 08:58 PM

I keep asking myself why people are stuck with FinalCut and Premiere - It can not be price of software ($600), probably they are stuck with Apple "gotcha" thing - "you are compatible only with us"...after working on Vegas (starting on ver 7) I will not touch Premiera not to mention Final Cut. O, have you heard that today Apple was downgraded at the stock market.