Sony HXR-NX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old January 26th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony HXR-NX3

Any chance of a new sub-catagory for this camera just released...
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 12:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sony HXR-NX3

I agree. The NX3 might be my replacement for my Canon XH-A1's. I never thought I would own a Sony relying on Panasonic and Canon.
The camera is in preorder status at B and H. But we do ne a sub-category to discuss the pros and cons of the NX3.
Greg Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 11:34 PM   #3
Major Player

At this point it is weeks later and the camera is in stock at B&H, among other places...
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:12 AM   #4
New Boot

Just took delivery of the HXR NX3 to complement my NX5, will be taking it out for test footage this weekend, first impression's are very good, excellent codec 1080p 28mbps, many improvements from nx5 just what was missing..
Martin Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:42 AM   #5
Major Player

looking forward to seeing your results!
Old March 13th, 2014, 01:15 AM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gardner View Post
Just took delivery of the HXR NX3 to complement my NX5, will be taking it out for test footage this weekend, first impression's are very good, excellent codec 1080p 28mbps, many improvements from nx5 just what was missing..
Generally the NX3 worked very well when compared to my NX5, however, I had a problem with what I would describe as lens flare.. Whilst completing a pan shot, a red flash can be clearly seen across the frames, this also affected auto focus which stopped during the shot.. I have attached two raw files to show this problem. one a normal speed the other using the slo mo function.. My NX5 has never suffered from this problem..
Old March 13th, 2014, 08:12 AM   #7
Regular Crew

No files attached (that I can see)?? But would like to see them, very interested to hear more experience with this cam as a possible upgrade for my old HVR-Z5.

Regards
Dave

Last edited by David Johns; March 13th, 2014 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 08:13 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gardner View Post
Whilst completing a pan shot, a red flash can be clearly seen across the frames, this also affected auto focus which stopped during the shot.. I have attached two raw files to show this problem.
No files attached (that I can see) but would like to see them as very interested in this cam as an upgrade to my HVR-Z5

Regards
Dave
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 03:11 PM   #9
New Boot

Firstly sorry that the files didn't load, web site said security problem.. so I shall upload to youtube and attach when I can. Update since last comment.. used the camera this weekend, bright sunlight cloudless sky. was filming a National Motocross event. The camera suffered very badly from some form of lens flare. causing what I can only describe as a deep red flash across the screen that knocked out autofocus. The camera was not pointed directly at the sun, just a panning shot as the rider passed by. It became so bad that I ended up putting the camera away and using my NX5, which was problem free. As a result of this, I shall be returning the camera tomorrow This problem, was present with or without a uv lens filter.
I can only assume this is a fault on this camera???
Also there are a number of very useful features missing from the cameras menu function
It truth this camera may have the latest codec and sensors, but I would not consider it a replacement or even upgrade for any current owners of an NX5..
Here is the raw footage formatted to mp4 1080p from original avchd2

Last edited by Martin Gardner; March 17th, 2014 at 03:27 PM. Reason: adding video attachment.
Old March 24th, 2014, 06:33 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hmmm. I've recently taken delivery of two of these although I've not tested it outside yet. Sun is bright in the sky today so will take it for a spin later. I've largely been impressed with the camera overall. Some very neat features and the test footage I've have taken looks nice coming from my Z7s. The camera doesn't feel as nice as the Z7, especially the lens, but just a case of getting used to a new cam really.

Have done some tests at 12bd gain in low light and it holds up a lot better than the Z7 under similar conditions. To be honest, it's hard work editing my latest wedding as the Z7 now looks really short when it comes to low light. To be expected though as it's a much older sensor.
Jon Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #11
Major Player

Martin's footage is terrible. It looks like the NX3 is not a replacement for my aging A1's.
Greg Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 09:34 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Well I've just done a very quick test. Couldn't see anything like what Martin was experiencing when looking through the viewfinder pointing the cam straight at the sun or in its general direction. Decided to record a little bit of footage in case it was visible on recorded footage. Again nothing except what you would normally expect and certainly no redness. I think there must be a fault with the cam.
Old March 24th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #13
New Boot

Update on NX3..The camera has been returned to the dealers, having viewed the footage, a replacement camera has been ordered.. I await the new camera and will be putting it to the test ASAP. Lets hope the original camera was faulty..Stay tuned.
Old March 25th, 2014, 01:21 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hopefully a new unit will sort the issue Martin. I have my first proper shoots on Friday and Saturday and will report back on how things go.
Old March 25th, 2014, 07:51 PM   #15
Tourist

I have my first real job with the NX3 coming up this weekend - glass art flameworking demonstrations. Here is a test I shot when I first got the camera. I shot in 1080 24p with picture profile 5 for more contrast. I think I'll just shoot with factory settings at 60p this weekend. Seems to perform very well to me. The outdoor shots at the end were in extreme sunlight and shade. Not sure any camera would handle that very well.

Last edited by Ed Masker; March 25th, 2014 at 07:53 PM. Reason: added text
Ed Masker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders