video new guy with a NX5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old January 29th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #1
Tourist

video new guy with a NX5

I have just entered the Video world. I have been a still Photographer for years and I am having difficulty with the Language. The Manual that came with the Sony NX5 is written for a seasoned Videographer. Hopefully some of you people can give me a hand.

What is the Gain all about and where should it be set?

I believe the Auto switch sets the camera to all auto functions such as white balance, shutter speed, and f stop? I Am I right in thinking this?

I have the quality set to 1080/60 pi is this the best quality.

Thanks in advance and I am sure I will be back with more questions.
Rodger Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: video new guy with a NX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Booth View Post
What is the Gain all about and where should it be set?
Gain is basically ISO. Ideally, it should be set to 0 to minimize noise.

Quote:
I believe the Auto switch sets the camera to all auto functions such as white balance, shutter speed, and f stop? I Am I right in thinking this?
Yes.

Quote:
I have the quality set to 1080/60 pi is this the best quality.
That depends on what your finale usage is. FX is the highest bit rate, and therefore the the best quality, but at this bit rate to can shoot in 1080p30, 1080i60 or 720p60.

The first number represents the frame size: 1080 is 1920x1080 and 720 is 1280x720.

The second number is how often the picture is updated. (I'm avoiding the term "frame rate" here).

Now the tricky bit. the letter "p" means progressive and "i", interlaced.

This might help:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...g-methods.html

If your output is for the web, then stick to progressive, if for DVD, then interlaced.
Old January 29th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #3
Major Player

When it comes to exposure tradeoffs, you now also have to think about the ND filter, which is far more important on such a small sensor.

Diffraction will start to affect the picture sharpness at about f5.6 on an NX5, so you will need to add ND if you need to stop down below that.

I'm not familiar with the operation of the NX5, but I expect if will warn you if you need to change the ND setting.
Old January 29th, 2014, 03:11 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes it warns you if you need the ND. I try not to go more than F4 for sharp image. Focus control is separate. One other thing to note. Just putting the switch to manual does not put ANY of the parameters in manual !! You need to set each individually and if you do not do that the camera is still in auto using the parameter that has not been set, as the control . In other words if you put switch in manual and then press gain and set one of the switches it will still have shutter speed and iris in auto. If you set shutter speed and gain in manual then iris will be in auto until you press iris and manual set the iris ---then you will be in full manual. This is indicated in the LCD so take note when you shoot that you are in the mode you want to be in !!! Pressing any of the parameter buttons while in manual will return that control to auto leaving the others in manual. I often preset AE shift or spotlight ( I have them assigned to buttons) so that I can then press, gain usually, and let the camera control, offset by either spotlight or AE shift if things get a little out of hand for me !!! You can see on the LCD what is happening and switch between as needed.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 07:57 PM   #5
Tourist

Thanks guys, I am adjusting to the new world.
Rodger Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 11:25 AM   #6
Regular Crew

RE: I believe the Auto switch sets the camera to all auto functions such as white balance, shutter speed, and f stop? I Am I right in thinking this?

FYI. setting the switch to manual is not the same as M mode on a still camera.. all of the variables are still automatic unless you individually set them to manual.

eg. set switch to manual and toggle the white balance switch to manual. you can then perform a manual white balance against a known white card or object using the white balance detect button against position A or B.
Your Gain, Aperture, Shutter, etc will be still be AUTO
Justin Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 09:34 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Auto sets exposure controls to auto or when set to manual allows the controls to be set manually. It doesn't set them in manual only allows them to be set with their controls. If one just moves the switch to manual then the camera is still in full auto. Focus has its own controls

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 02:27 AM   #8
Major Player

I'm not sure why someone suggested putting the gain at 0, I keep it at -6. The lower the better.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 08:26 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Janka View Post
I'm not sure why someone suggested putting the gain at 0, I keep it at -6. The lower the better.
Agreed. A few things to note that the lens ramps as it is zoomed from f1.6 to f3.4 . More than about f5.6 and the image starts to suffer. So if one shoots and zoom in manual exposure, watch carefully !! Gain above about 9db starts to show obvious grain. If you are out doors in the sun then negative gain and ND filters are needed to keep iris in range. Indoors one is not likely to get away without gain.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders