Would you still buy the NX5U? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old September 10th, 2014, 07:21 AM   #1
Major Player

Would you still buy the NX5U?

In the market for a new camera, currently using the Z5U, and was wondering what NX5U owners thought.
It's basically the same camera as the Z5U in feel. Would you still purchase this camera today? If not, do you have suggestions? Thanks.

I almost forgot to mention, I am still keeping my other camera, so if someone has any thought on how they mix that would be great.

Last edited by Rob Morse; September 10th, 2014 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Forgot Something
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #2
Austinite

Re: Would you still buy the NX5U?

First SONY pro camera to shoot with SDHC... always a good thing... not counting the EX1 with the SXS to SDHC sleeve...
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 07:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I just purchase the HXR-NX3 been very happy with it so far zoom is fantastic and wireless is handy, I have the HVR-Z5 which I fitted with the card unit it has been good can get 2hrs 25min on a 32gig compact flash card the NX3 i get nearly 6hrs, there are a few very good reviews on the new NX3 out there here is one i found helpfull in my decision to buy the NX3 also the camera's both use the same batteries another saving. The second and third links compare the NX3 against the NX5

Last edited by Mark Owens; September 10th, 2014 at 09:33 PM.
Mark Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You may also take a look at the PXW-X160 which is the quoted replacement for the NX5U. Once I got used to my NX5U I have been happy with it. I have the FMU128 so have the ability to record to SD cards and the FMU128.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2014, 11:22 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Owens View Post
I just purchase the HXR-NX3 been very happy with it so far zoom is fantastic and wireless is handy, I have the HVR-Z5 which I fitted with the card unit it has been good can get 2hrs 25min on a 32gig compact flash card the NX3 i get nearly 6hrs, there are a few very good reviews on the new NX3 out there here is one i found helpfull in my decision to buy the NX3 also the camera's both use the same batteries another saving. The second and third links compare the NX3 against the NX5

Sony HXR-NX3 User Review on Vimeo

Sony HXR-NX3: main features (pt.1) - English version - YouTube
Sony HXR-NX3: main features (pt.2) - English version - YouTube
Did price come into play in your decision? With the rebate on the NX5U there is approx $200 difference
Old September 15th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
You may also take a look at the PXW-X160 which is the quoted replacement for the NX5U. Once I got used to my NX5U I have been happy with it. I have the FMU128 so have the ability to record to SD cards and the FMU128.

Ron Evans
The Sony PXW-X180 looks nice but may be a bit out of my budget. The NX5U looks identical to the Z5U so it should limit the learning curve.
Old September 15th, 2014, 01:47 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I haven't seen a US price for the PXW-X160 only the PXW-X180. The X160 should be similar to the NX5U. If you have the Z5U then of course the NX5U will be similar with the same batteries etc too. The new cameras do have newer sensors and the variable ND filter looks good for control too. But they have different batteries.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 01:47 AM   #8
Regular Crew

No, I would not buy the NX5. Actually, is an old camera, has been overtaken by the NX3 or the X180.

First of all, the NX5 is not HD, no real HD, no full HD. Sensors are HD ready, no native 1920x1080.

NX3 and X180 are native FULL HD, it is a necessity because we are entering the world 4K.

I bet for the X180.
http://www.sony.es/res/attachment/fi...7492945225.pdf

Cons: new batteries and new (and expensive) memory cards, although it can record on SD cards in AVCHD like the NX5.

Positive: x25 lens, zoom lever, best wide angle (26 mm.), Electronic Variable ND Filter, best recording codecs*, remote wifi ... an updated NX5, on steroids.

Brand new, comparing prices, I forget the NX5. His time has passed.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/672423-REG/Sony_HXR_NX5U_HXR_NX5U_NXCAM_Professional_Camcorder.html 4000$ - 400$ discount = 3.600$

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1044780-REG/sony_pxw_x180_xdcam_handheld_camcorder.html $4,999.00.

If you want something cheaper:
NX3
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1019239-REG/sony_hxr_nx3u_hxr_nx3_nxcama_handheld_camcorder.htmlCanon XA20
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/963139-REG/canon_8453b002_xa20_hd_professional_camcorder.html
I'm working now with Sony AX2000 (the NX5 cousin) and the Canon XA20.
I'm using more and more the Canon and picture quality is superior, better definition.
It lacks any buttons and ergonomics is slightly lower. But it has more codecs and frame rates (50p FULL HD, MP4 35 mbs), same optical zoom, 2 XLR, handle with zoom, lighter and more compact (unless you need size to impress) ... If you get used to it and you adapt, doing almost the same and the end result, the image quality is superior. Ah, the screen is bigger and better quality. The optical viewfinder is also fine.
Standard battery runs for 1,5 hours. I have purchased 1 bigger and runs for 3,5 hours, not bad.

* The camera can record in a multitude of video codecs, from the newer XAVC Intra and XAVC Long GOP codecs, to the older XDCAM MPEG HD 422 50Mbps and 420 35Mbps codecs, as well as the more consumer AVCHD and DV codecs. This allows the PXW-X180 to fit into virtually any workflow. The camera records to reliable SxS cards and features dual SxS card slots. It also has the ability to simultaneously record low-bitrate H.264 proxy video onto SD cards for instant reviewing or sharing over mobile networks.
Mikel Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post
Did price come into play in your decision? With the rebate on the NX5U there is approx $200 difference
I purchased the NX3 in Australia because of the reviews and had more features that suited me including low light also the NX5 is a discontinued product at the place I purchased the NX3 from. I have a friend who has the NX5 and he is happy with it he uses it for weddings and also he does a blog about free camping places around Australia so the inbuilt GPS on the camera lets him upload exact position of camping site. Here are links to compare the 2 cameras from Sony site.

http://pro.sony.com.au/pro/product/b...specifications
Minimum Illumination
50i : 1.0lux(1/25 Shutter Speed, iris/gain Auto)
50i : 0.5lux(1/25 Shutter Speed, iris Auto, gain 30dB)

http://pro.sony.com.au/pro/product/b...specifications
Minimum illumination
1.5 lx (auto gain, auto iris, 1/25 shutter)
Mark Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 06:35 AM   #10
Major Player

I appreciate the feedback guys. I'm going to take a little more time and really investigate these cameras.
The NX5U really appealed to me, but whenever you see rebates on cameras, there is usually something new coming. The NX5U just fit my needs, basically a Z5U replica, but obviously you want newer technology. I'm not in a rush. Still paying for kids college so budget will play a factor.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders