NX100 - Anything? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old March 22nd, 2016, 01:57 PM   #31
New Boot

Re: NX100 - Anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Manes
re: mic holder. Yes, I already removed mine, as the camera wouldn't fit in the bag I bought without looking uncomfortable. Two small phillips screws, no biggie. I got the sony multi-shoe set which allows their wireless receiver to get power and transmit sound through the hot shoe, no battery no cables.

I will play with the lever and get back to you. Paul, I'm confused by your question, you mention recording, then streaming. I'll check the manual but if you could clarify that would help.

maybe to answer the question:

File format AVHCD, accepts: SD, SDHC, SDXC (class 4 or up), Mem stick PRO Duo (Mark 2), PRO-HG Duo

XAVC S HD: SDXC memory card class 10+.

This camera doesn't live stream over wifi or anything, it just has HDMI out or composite out, which isn't dependent on the codec you've selected. You can pick the output resolution out the HDMI.

Last edited by Chris Manes; March 22nd, 2016 at 01:58 PM. Reason: top of page
Chris Manes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 02:31 PM   #32
New Boot

I hope there aren't rules against consecutive posts.

So, you can either hold the "adjustment lever" or separately keep pushing it up or down. To go from -3 to +33 by holding down took 2.9 seconds. It pauses slightly after going the first step, then quickly steps up through the rest. Not smooth like an iris adjustment, but that is optical and this is digital.

Oh and to respond to another issue posed, I couldn't get the focus distance indicator to stay on the screen either. It's not in any of the display/status options. It only pops up once you move the ring.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 06:24 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Manes View Post
I hope there aren't rules against consecutive posts.

Oh and to respond to another issue posed, I couldn't get the focus distance indicator to stay on the screen either. It's not in any of the display/status options. It only pops up once you move the ring.
That is just like my NX5U !! More than the batteries in common !!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 07:10 AM   #34
Major Player

We shot a wedding last weekend using my buddy's new NX100 and my NX5U.

Based on what he's telling me last night, the NX100 at +27 db is cleaner, sharper, and has better color than my NX5U at +12/+15 db.

Looking forward to seeing some actual screen shots of it.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 10:03 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Yes my NX5U is not as good as my AX100 for noise that is even true for my NX30 comparison too. I keep my NX5U to 9db or less if I can. With the NX5U at 12db I end up using NEAT filter to clean up. The AX100 just looses a little resolution as the gain goes up but it is still sharper than the NX5U. I would just like to have all the controls of the NX5U ( like smooth gain switching etc ) in a larger sensor camera,

Ron Evans
Old March 24th, 2016, 08:52 AM   #36
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
That is just like my NX5U !! More than the batteries in common !!

Ron Evans
seems like a thing a quick firmware update could fix. There's already a menu option for feet or meters. Just add an "always on" option.
Old March 24th, 2016, 12:12 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Well my NX5U has that menu item too but it is now 6 years old so don't hold your breath for any changes. On my FDR-AX1 it does stay there all the time so why on this modern product they left it off is strange.

Ron Evans
Old March 30th, 2016, 03:59 PM   #38
New Boot

First impression is that the clear zoom works really well, although I am only at DV/NTSC quality right now.

Another commenter mentioned the inaccessibility of the menu and arrow buttons at the top of the camera, and that is a problem on a tripod. However, it seems to me that fiddling with the buttons will make the image shake anyway, and given those two things, maybe just keep the remote in your pocket to quickly flip through the menu if needed.

Making small exposure adjustments is a bit tricky because the gain goes in 3db steps. But if you use the iris ring to adjust the iris, you are changing your DOF. So I am trying to get pretty close with the gain and only adjust 1 stop either way with the iris.

What I didn't test was if you set the gain to auto, it will slowly ramp gain in degrees that you can't do with the 3db step lever.
Old March 30th, 2016, 07:43 PM   #39
Inner Circle

If it is like most Sony's you can fix the iris and shutter then use the exposure or AE shift control which will then adjust the gain. It may be smoother than switching the gain certainly seems that way on my AX100.

Ron Evans
Old March 30th, 2016, 07:50 PM   #40
Trustee

Hey Chris, if you HOLD the toggle up or down, will the gain continue to go up/down in 3db inciments, or do you have to release and repush to get to the next step?

And can anyone confirm if the NX100 REQUIRES Sony OEM batteries.........I don't think Sony L series are chipped, but you never know!

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2016, 02:19 PM   #41
New Boot

You can certainly set iris and shutter manually.

The AE shift can be assigned to a button, and you'd use the lever to adjust the exposure. It goes from -2.0 EV to +2.0 EV, and it goes in 0.2 steps, so it is much more gradual than gain stepping.

BUT! But but but, the AE shift is only available if your gain is set to auto. Which, maybe if your lighting is that unpredictable, your gain is auto anyway.

As far as the gain ramping, it continues to jump in 3db increments when you hold the lever. The first step happens, then a slight pause, then it ramps up (or down) in 3 db increments, but much quicker. You do not need to release and re-engage the lever.

So, there's not a way to do finer gain/exposure adjustments that I can see in manual mode. Other than iris.
Old April 1st, 2016, 02:36 PM   #42
Inner Circle

On my AX100 I can set iris , shutter and then choose for the wheel control either AE shift or Exposure. In both cases of course the gain is in auto but with exposure control it will stay where it is set ( bracketed E appears next to indicator on the LCD ), for AE shift the camera controls based on the auto exposure plus the AE shift setting. Separate LCD indicator. If lighting changes the camera will maintain the relative exposure that you have set. With exposure control it will go dark or bright and you will have to change the control manually. Effectively full manual control which is possible on the AX100 anyway but I too think the changes are finer in exposure or AE shift than directly on the gain control if you want to fix the iris. Not had a look at the NX100 manual but since it must come from the guts of the CX900/AX100 I would be surprised if it did not work the same way.

Ron Evans

EDIT: Just had a look at the NX100 manual and cannot find the control to assign action to the toggle switch like I can on the AX100. So you may be stuck. The AX100 seems to be a lot more flexible unless I have missed something.
Old April 6th, 2016, 03:23 PM   #43
New Boot

Shutter and Gain already have dedicated buttons. When you press the button, the "adjustment lever" is now controlling that parameter. So press gain button once to highlight that setting on the screen and the lever adjusts that setting. press the shutter button one time, and now it is highlighted and you manually adjust using the lever.

If you assign Auto AE trim to one of the assignable buttons, when you press it, the adjustment lever is now controlling AE trim.
Old April 6th, 2016, 04:15 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Manes View Post
Shutter and Gain already have dedicated buttons. When you press the button, the "adjustment lever" is now controlling that parameter. So press gain button once to highlight that setting on the screen and the lever adjusts that setting. press the shutter button one time, and now it is highlighted and you manually adjust using the lever.

If you assign Auto AE trim to one of the assignable buttons, when you press it, the adjustment lever is now controlling AE trim.
Still think the AX100 is more flexible as the wheel can be pre-assigned so that if any of the parameters are in auto it is then active. No need to press another button. Fixed buttons for iris, gain & shutter speed , work the same way on the AX100. There is also a manual button if held will bring up the assignment for the wheel control.

Ron Evans
Old May 9th, 2016, 09:03 AM   #45
New Boot

I don't know how anybody gets anything done with a 12x zoom.
Chris Manes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders