software update at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old November 28th, 2015, 09:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

software update

I saw there's a software update for the NX3. It looks like it adds recording/playback/output in XAVC S HD format at 50mbs.

Anyone here updated? What's your experience?
Ross Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 10:23 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: software update

Yes, there is a new Software: HXR-NX3 : Binary Package V2.00

NEW FEATURES
1.) Recording/playback/output in XAVC S HD format.
2.) HDMI REC CONTROL
3.) Operation stability improvement
Mikel Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 11:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Here's a link for the NX3 software update. Software: HXR-NX3 : Binary Package V2.00 (Win + Mac) : Software/Drivers : Bulgaria : Sony Professional
Old December 7th, 2015, 11:17 PM   #4
Major Player

I did the update yesterday, and it went well. You have to update without a card in the camera, which is something not immediately obvious in the instructions. You also can't update when powering from a battery - you must have the camera connected to AC power.

I just shot a few quick test shots in the new codec today. It's significantly better at capturing detail, as I would expect. I am not using an external recorder, so I don't much care about the HDMI trigger function, although it's nice to know it's there now.

Oh, and one more thing... You apparently can't shoot S&Q in the new codec... Bummer.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 04:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I found this step-by-step instruction page very helpful and more complete than the instructions with the app.
https://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/...0_manual_e.pdf
Old December 12th, 2015, 09:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have just update my firmware as well to version 2 the main thing i noticed i was recording in AVCHD and getting 352 minutes on a 64gig card did the update and now shows 151 minutes per card, tried getting onto Sony site to find out file recording size but link does not open just sits there got no problem with recording times just keep changing cards just curious on all specifications on changes after update.
Mark Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 10:32 PM   #7
Major Player

The XAVC S codec records at 50 Mb (Megabits)/sec. The FX quality AVCHD codec records at 24 Mb/sec. So, it's just slightly more than twice the bitrate, and so that's borne out in the number of available minutes showing on your media.
Old December 13th, 2015, 01:41 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Eric, with the latest update do you know if the NX3 support SD cards over 64gig I was thinking of purchasing some 128gig cards if comparable.
Old December 13th, 2015, 10:24 AM   #9
Major Player

I'm using two 128 GB SDXC cards in the camera, so yes. :)
Old December 14th, 2015, 03:32 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Eric for that information just ordered 2 x SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDXC from B and H today it is cheaper for me to purchase from them even with Aussie dollar and PayPal charges I get only 70c in the dollar at the moment total cost $175AU for both cards including freight from America, to buy here in Australia $220 each plus $15 freight for exactly the same items total $455.00 ridiculous mark-up
Old July 27th, 2017, 09:34 AM   #11
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Darling View Post
The XAVC S codec records at 50 Mb (Megabits)/sec. The FX quality AVCHD codec records at 24 Mb/sec. So, it's just slightly more than twice the bitrate, and so that's borne out in the number of available minutes showing on your media.
Do we know if it is 10 bit 4:2:2 @ 50mb or 8 bit 4:2:0 @ 50mb. If the former I will upgrade and keep the cam. On that same quality note, can I get some input on the 3 1/3 sensors in the NX3, NX5R and PXW 160/180? They all seem to have the same overall specs but I would have to think the PXW cams have upgraded sensors. Anybody have the breakdown on the aforementioned camcorders and their respective sensor quality?
Denis Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 12:32 PM   #12
Major Player

The camera is always 8-bit. The HDMI output is uncompressed 4:2:2 8-bit. The internal codecs are always 4:2:0 8-bit.
Old January 13th, 2018, 10:36 AM   #13
Major Player

I always use the sony content management utility (version 2.1.00.05171) to import my footage from this camcorder. With AVCHD this was no problem but the XAVC S footage is not recognized?

How can I fix this?
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 11:28 AM   #14
Major Player

With the file structure in XAVC S, you don't need to bridge any clips - everything is together in a single MP4 file from when you hit start to when you hit stop. So, just use the raw files, and you'll be fine.
Old January 14th, 2018, 10:22 AM   #15
Major Player

but the software doesn't recognize the XAVC S format? It doesn't show anything from my SD card.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders