DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   software update (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/530477-software-update.html)

Ross Hunter November 28th, 2015 09:24 AM

software update

I saw there's a software update for the NX3. It looks like it adds recording/playback/output in XAVC S HD format at 50mbs.

Anyone here updated? What's your experience?

Mikel Arturo November 28th, 2015 10:23 AM

Re: software update

Yes, there is a new Software: HXR-NX3 : Binary Package V2.00

NEW FEATURES
1.) Recording/playback/output in XAVC S HD format.
2.) HDMI REC CONTROL
3.) Operation stability improvement

Ross Hunter December 5th, 2015 11:00 AM

Here's a link for the NX3 software update. Software: HXR-NX3 : Binary Package V2.00 (Win + Mac) : Software/Drivers : Bulgaria : Sony Professional

Eric Darling December 7th, 2015 11:17 PM

I did the update yesterday, and it went well. You have to update without a card in the camera, which is something not immediately obvious in the instructions. You also can't update when powering from a battery - you must have the camera connected to AC power.

I just shot a few quick test shots in the new codec today. It's significantly better at capturing detail, as I would expect. I am not using an external recorder, so I don't much care about the HDMI trigger function, although it's nice to know it's there now.

Oh, and one more thing... You apparently can't shoot S&Q in the new codec... Bummer.

Ross Hunter December 8th, 2015 04:18 PM

I found this step-by-step instruction page very helpful and more complete than the instructions with the app.
https://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/...0_manual_e.pdf

Mark Owens December 12th, 2015 09:57 PM

I have just update my firmware as well to version 2 the main thing i noticed i was recording in AVCHD and getting 352 minutes on a 64gig card did the update and now shows 151 minutes per card, tried getting onto Sony site to find out file recording size but link does not open just sits there got no problem with recording times just keep changing cards just curious on all specifications on changes after update.

Eric Darling December 12th, 2015 10:32 PM

The XAVC S codec records at 50 Mb (Megabits)/sec. The FX quality AVCHD codec records at 24 Mb/sec. So, it's just slightly more than twice the bitrate, and so that's borne out in the number of available minutes showing on your media.

Mark Owens December 13th, 2015 01:41 AM

Hi Eric, with the latest update do you know if the NX3 support SD cards over 64gig I was thinking of purchasing some 128gig cards if comparable.

Eric Darling December 13th, 2015 10:24 AM

I'm using two 128 GB SDXC cards in the camera, so yes. :)

Mark Owens December 14th, 2015 03:32 AM

Thanks Eric for that information just ordered 2 x SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDXC from B and H today it is cheaper for me to purchase from them even with Aussie dollar and PayPal charges I get only 70c in the dollar at the moment total cost $175AU for both cards including freight from America, to buy here in Australia $220 each plus $15 freight for exactly the same items total $455.00 ridiculous mark-up

Denis Torres July 27th, 2017 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Darling (Post 1905134)
The XAVC S codec records at 50 Mb (Megabits)/sec. The FX quality AVCHD codec records at 24 Mb/sec. So, it's just slightly more than twice the bitrate, and so that's borne out in the number of available minutes showing on your media.

Do we know if it is 10 bit 4:2:2 @ 50mb or 8 bit 4:2:0 @ 50mb. If the former I will upgrade and keep the cam. On that same quality note, can I get some input on the 3 1/3 sensors in the NX3, NX5R and PXW 160/180? They all seem to have the same overall specs but I would have to think the PXW cams have upgraded sensors. Anybody have the breakdown on the aforementioned camcorders and their respective sensor quality?

Eric Darling July 27th, 2017 12:32 PM

The camera is always 8-bit. The HDMI output is uncompressed 4:2:2 8-bit. The internal codecs are always 4:2:0 8-bit.

Tom Van den Berghe January 13th, 2018 10:36 AM

I always use the sony content management utility (version 2.1.00.05171) to import my footage from this camcorder. With AVCHD this was no problem but the XAVC S footage is not recognized?

How can I fix this?

Eric Darling January 13th, 2018 11:28 AM

With the file structure in XAVC S, you don't need to bridge any clips - everything is together in a single MP4 file from when you hit start to when you hit stop. So, just use the raw files, and you'll be fine.

Tom Van den Berghe January 14th, 2018 10:22 AM

but the software doesn't recognize the XAVC S format? It doesn't show anything from my SD card.