HXR-NX5E chromatic aberration issue and sharpness at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old October 15th, 2018, 11:09 AM   #1
Tourist

HXR-NX5E chromatic aberration issue and sharpness

Hi

I am new to this forum, so I hope some of you can help me with this question.

My new (second hand) NX5E camera has some issues with lack of sharpness in 1080p@25fps (shutterspeed 50) and gain set at -6dB. All settings are set to manual and Zebra to 100%.

I can see from forums that this model has issues with grainy images, and mine do too :-( But I have now seen that there is a lot of chromatic aberration, that makes me feel like, this is a VHS camera. Can any of you who know this camera, check the images bellow (from my google drive), if the issue is normal or this is an defect?

To be honest, I am a little disappointed with this professional 1080p Sony camera on the pictures side.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o3...g2cuiQwMcDV5rp

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qj...FvAM09QzCeSRj2

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VW..._ptge3oTLLmPmn
Michael Andreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2018, 11:20 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: HXR-NX5E chromatic aberration issue and sharpness

You are talking about a 17 year old camera.
Perhaps it is time to consider something more up to date?
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2018, 12:50 PM   #3
Tourist

@Cary

The model is from 2010 :-)
Of curse this is an old camera, and I will go 4K, but still. This camera is 1080p (I have a Panasonic SD900 camera from 2012 that kicks this camera in image quality). That is why I am asking for other NX5E/U users evaluation on the images.
Michael Andreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2018, 05:08 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Ron Evans had the nx5 I believe (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/members/3115-ron-evans.html) so you could ask him but instead of staring at a chart, how does it look like in real life? I don't think it's a defect but what is expected from a camera of that age, that's why I ask how it looks in a normal shoot, on charts you always will find flaws.

I don't think you can compare this camera with todays camera's, if you think this camera was grainy be glad you didn't get a canon xh-a1, the nx5 was actually a "light sensitive" camera when it came out compared to it's competitors.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2018, 05:16 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Yes I had a NX5U sold it earlier this year. For a couple of years it was the weakness in my set of cameras. It had the advantage of inbuilt XLR etc and I often used for the sound and occasional clip in a show but the image from the lower cost AX100 , NX30 or even AX53 was superior. When I got the GH5 and GH5S it was time for it to go. It never really had a good image compared to much lower cost Sony consumer cameras that I had at the time.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2018, 04:22 AM   #6
Tourist

Thank you for your replies :-)
Michael Andreasen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders