DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   How to fix Buffer Overflow problem? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/536655-how-fix-buffer-overflow-problem.html)

Robert Lee March 24th, 2019 08:40 AM

How to fix Buffer Overflow problem?

Sadly this error occurred while I was filming a conference, and luckily I had filmed with 2 cameras, to salvage the shoot relying on the remaining camera for edit.

From what I'm able to deduce, I believe the source of the error is with the FMU 128GB

The first test, record with BRand new SDHC card and FMU128 GB, received buffer overflow problem
(no footage was shown in the visual index).

The second test, record solely with new SDHC card, record normally. (footage found in the visual index)

The third test, record only with FMU 128gb, received buffer overflow problem. (no footage was shown in visual index)

I looked into firmware for the Nx5u, There's a version 4.0 but only address different Record format and no mention of Buffer overflow issues and no real feedback if it was harmful or helpful to the camera. The last thing I want to do is compound the problem.

Currently doublechecking my camera and having trouble finding what version I have on the camera (UPDATE: It's version 3)

So my question is what is the best way to fix for the problem other than "dont use the FMU 128gb? I do a lot of long format shoots so the fmu I badly need to help backup filming in case something goes wrong with the cards. Is there a firmware for fmu 128GB?

Christopher Young March 24th, 2019 08:23 PM

Re: How to fix Buffer Overflow problem?

1 Attachment(s)
Silly question. More than lightly but have you cleaned the contacts on the FMU 128 ? They are buried in the multi-pin socket. In the past, FS700 days, I had a couple of record issues that were corrected when I cleaned these contacts and the ones in the camera. To do that I used a soft piece of old cotton T shirt material soaked in a good brand of electrical contact cleaner, like the techs use, and got the contacts moist in FMU and moist on the camera. I then went through a number of insert and remove cycles on the FMU and the issue never reappeared.

I have also heard though not confirmed that a couple of re-format cycles can sometimes fix buffer problems. Take that for what it's worth. Good luck with it!

Chris Young
Sydney

Robert Lee April 23rd, 2019 09:49 AM

Thanks Christopher!

I'm not familiar with the contact fluid you describe in using a t-shirt, where can I find that?

Oh and you find a cotton t-shirt better than a cotton swab?

Christopher Young April 23rd, 2019 11:12 PM

Most hobby electrical stores have electrical contact cleaner available in a spray can. I use an old worn out bit of T-shirt as it is pretty fluff and fiber free. Cotton swabs can do the job just try to get the best ones that don't tend to shed fibers when being used.

Chris Young

Robert Lee April 24th, 2019 02:49 PM

Thanks Chris, for now, I'll swap out the FMU with another until I can find the recommended liquid to clean it out. Thanks for your help!

Robert Lee April 29th, 2019 03:36 PM

Chris:

I was going online to find where I can buy such liquid and show W-40 as a type of electrical contact liquid is that something you recommend?

Christopher Young April 30th, 2019 06:11 AM

No sir not the good old WD40. I am thinking something much more along these lines. Permatex 82588 Electrical Contact & Parts Cleaner. Can be purchased from most good electrical hobby stores and electrical component suppliers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-DAY-SALE-...EAAOSw8-tWaypQ

A more elegant and more subtle cleaner than WD40. WD might work but something that has a fast evaporating base is best.

Chris Young