Any problem leaving Macro ON? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old August 12th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Any problem leaving Macro ON?

I can't figure out if there is any reason to turn the Macro off. If not, why even have an on/off?

I believe the default is ON. I'd like to leave it on but not if it's going to impact my non-macro shots in any way.

Thanks for any input on this.
Old August 12th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I often shoot in low light. I turn Macro OFF. I use both auto and manual depending upon the action and available lighting, or if I need to quickly relocate from a fixed position.

In my experience having Macro ON in auto focus for midshots and beyond screws me up on both Z5 and NX5. There appears to be more occasions when it "hunts" especially on faces where there is minimal contrast (a contrast based detection system I believe).

My rule of thumb - and it works for me: unless you're going in very close (auto or manual) turn Macro OFF.
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Buckley View Post
I often shoot in low light. I turn Macro OFF. I use both auto and manual depending upon the action and available lighting, or if I need to quickly relocate from a fixed position.

In my experience having Macro ON in auto focus for midshots and beyond screws me up on both Z5 and NX5. There appears to be more occasions when it "hunts" especially on faces where there is minimal contrast (a contrast based detection system I believe).

My rule of thumb - and it works for me: unless you're going in very close (auto or manual) turn Macro OFF.
Interesting Claire. I'll have to do some experimenting along those lines. I have felt like the auto focus has been a little sub par at times and maybe that's why.
Old August 19th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Now wouldn't it be good if the instruction book had a couple of lines of explanation. The on/off facility has obviously cost a few pennies so one has to surmise that it's 'on' for special occasions, as is the OIS.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I actually had an opportunity to speak to a Sony tech guy yesterday and ask him about this. He said that the zoom range is affected by the macro setting. I experimented and saw that although it's small, there was a change in the zoom range. I would be much more concerned about the possible long range focus difficulties.

I agree Tom, a simple explanation in the manual would sure be helpful!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders