NX5U for live web Streaming to Ustream at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old August 19th, 2010, 09:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

NX5U for live web Streaming to Ustream

Has anyone used the NX5U for a live web stream.
I am shooting a few high school football games this month and want to stream live on the School's Ustream account. Has anyone done this. What Connections and or additional hardware is needed to down convert to a manageable stream? No Firewire= a bit of a challenge, right?
Thanks for your help guys!
Old August 19th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #2
New Boot

NX5U for Ustream

I wanted to do the same with mine but as you say, no firewire output. The only option I can see is to use a device that inputs composite video signal and outputs USB or firewire. The problem is that it will only be SD and not HD. I have an old Sony HC1000 that seems to work pretty well. I will keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone else has any ideas
Phillip Slosberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #3
Inner Circle

All the outputs work if selected. So HDMI or component are available you can even select the resolution ( page 77 in manual) If you want 1394 you could use a converter box like a Canopus.
ADVC-HD50
ADVC-HD50 | Grass Valley

A little expensive but I think designed for exactly what you want.

Or use Blackmagic Design: Intensity card or the shuttle

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 08:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Wow that blackmagic design looks pretty sweet! And a lot cheaper, Hey Ron do u have a website? I live in ottawa aswell and would love to check out some of your work. With all the advice uve given me since I've become a member I'm anxious to see some of your portfolio.
Chris Adeyefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 09:35 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Chris. No I don't have a website. Video is a retirement hobby for me now though I started shooting film, Super8 and 16mm back in the early 60's and moved through just about all the affordable technology, VHS, 8mm, Hi8, DV, HDV and now AVCHD. Most of what I do is archive stuff with copyright restrictions so can't really be shown and since its a hobby I am not looking for business( my wife says it takes up too much of my time anyway!!!!).

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 06:59 AM   #6
Tourist

Streaming with the NX5U

Good morning
I am in a bit of a different fix, I have the camera (NX5U) and the encoder (Osprey) but have a couple of questions.

1. If I opt to use the composite output, does the camera automatically select 480 ?

2. My only other option is to select the component output (and stream with a Tricaster Pro) and be able to select other settings.

Is there an optimal setting (output of camera) for streaming SD ?

Thanks

Whit
Whit Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #7
New Boot

I tried to do this the other week by plugging the camera into the computer with the USB cable provided. But as you guys say, I got no output.
This is probably one the other downsides of the camera along with FCP L&T!!
But I do have an elgato video capture thing that takes in composite analogue signal and on the other end there is a usb cable.
I will give that I try and let you guys know.

Regards
Yannick

Last edited by Yannick Hausler; September 9th, 2010 at 02:54 AM.
Yannick Hausler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I think this will solve the problems you guys are referring to. Wireless Live Streaming through IP address. Its called the Teradek Cube encoder however the only problem is that it says its designed for dslr video. Not sure why it wouldnt work with an NX5U. Can anyone confirm why? Hopefully if not they are creating a version for HD camcorders aswell.

Old September 17th, 2010, 07:09 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Teradek has released 2 models. The HDMI version displayed above. And the HD-SDI version. Check out this link as they successfully attached the HD-SDI version to a REDONE camera. I dont see why this wouldnt work with the NXCAM's HD-SDI port. If anyone can confirm plz do as i am not a pro in this regard.

Wireless HD streaming from HDMI or SDI…a very cool product | Philip Bloom
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #10
Trustee

the hd-sdi version works with any sdi camera...
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #11
Regular Crew

There we have it people. Mr. Bloom himself has confirmed it for us! Great review btw Philip . I also cant wait until Ipad releases an app for VLC video! This will drastically improve onset production as well as adds another cost effective option for external monitoring! Thx again Phil! I'll be attending your Ottawa workshop at Vistek on Nov 5th see you then.
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #12
Trustee

but if it does not have built in streaming and is just a player then we are not so good!
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:47 AM   #13
Regular Crew

cost effective solution?

So I had a potential client contact me today about producing a live webcast Q&A with one of their keynote speakers. I have not done this before but see no reason why I shouldn't. Seems pretty straight forward, 2 camera shoot in a local hotel conference room with direct ethernet access so we can feed the video to Upstream.tv and then embed the stream where ever the client wishes. Low overhead :)

I too need an affordable solution for feeding live video from the NX5 to my Macbook pro. The Teradek "Cube" is brilliant and in my sights but not within my budget at this time. The Black Magic Intensity Shuttle would be the perfect solution BUT it's USB 3.0 and as far as I know the Mac OSX does not support that and you just never know what Mac will do in the future.

Since final output is to web I doubt we will need to live stream in HD. I am curious to see if Yannick's solution worked but my main question to you all is if anyone has hands on experience getting a live feed with the NX5 to a MacBook Pro (I have the latest 15 inch with only FW800/USB2.0 and no express slot)? Looking for component to FW or HDMI to FW as I would assume those would give you the best data rates.

Maybe I bite the bullet on that "cube" and hope I can sell the heck out of live web feeds :)

any and all feedback is much appreciated!

regards,
Dave
Dave Luda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 11:56 AM   #14
New Boot

Hi Dave,

I tried using the elgato, but ustream.tv would not pick it up and neither did it's program that you can download.
Yannick Hausler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #15
Inner Circle

For streaming HDMI and HD-SDI on Mac there's Matrox MXO2Mini or MXO2-LE (etc). I use the MXO2-LE on my 2008 MacBook Pro 15" (must have Express port) to stream from either my Sony EX1 or Canon Vixia HF200. It has PCIe card for desktop and Express adaptor for laptop.

The Teradeck Cube look excellent. If you can stream it to the computer into VLC than Telestream Wirecast with Desktop Presenter can screencapture the input video and SoundFlower (Mac) or Virtual Audio Cables (Windows) can capture the audio. Then Wirecast can be used to add graphics, PiP, etc and encode for streaming (even to multiple servers such as Ustream, Livestream, JustinTV).
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders