Sony HDR-CX760V: A Warning at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old May 6th, 2012, 08:00 AM   #1
New Boot

Sony HDR-CX760V: A Warning

Do not compare image quality between the new high-end handicams (HDR-CX760V or PJ710V) and your NX70U unless you want to feel very, very foolish. They are stunning.
Andy Lewicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sony HDR-CX760V: A Warning

Thanks! Dodged a bullet there.

So no examples then?
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

So you're saying the CX760 is much better?
Scott Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #4
Major Player

No to pick holes at your statement but the NX70 main selling point is its dust and splash proof!

Comparing it to another camera that doesn't have that feature is a little pointless!

Last edited by David Dwyer; May 7th, 2012 at 08:46 AM.
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #5
Trustee

i.e. the next generation of sensors/hardware/lenses is better than the previous generation.

Hmmm.

What's new there?

(Not saying that I love everything about my NX70, but you have to be philosophical!)
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dwyer View Post
No to pick holes at your statement but the NX70 main selling point is its dust and splash proof!

Comparing it to another camera that doesn't have that feature is a little pointless!
Which is exactly why I bought mine. After damaging cameras in extreme conditions before I wanted something a bit tougher and with all my stuff going up on youtube it doesn't have to be "HD broadcast" quality.

It's nice to know there are great little cameras coming on the market, but I'm still havppy with my NX70 (aside from the LANC issue).
Scott Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #7
New Boot

May post samples in a week or so if I get some free time. I think the sensors are probably similar, the processing in the 760 is better, and the Zeiss lens is much better. I think the NX70U's color balance is better, which is significant (since both cams are AVCHD). Finally, the 760V's new floating housing stabilization is truly remarkable.

An NX70U-style body with the 760V's upgrades would be very attractive (minus the NX70's flaws). As-is, I think mine's headed for ebay...
Andy Lewicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Trustee

I own both of these cameras and have done some low light indoor side by side tests. I essentially was in a dark room with with some detailed objects and went through the gain on each camera starting at 0db and moving up using identical shutter and iris settings. (finding the exact gain you are using on the CX760 is a pain! You adjust your exposure carefully and read it out only on playback...uggg)

What I found out is the both cameras are EXTREMELY similar in performance. I'm certain that they are based on the same sensor, read out and post processing. The noise characteristics are very very close to each other throughout the entire gain range.

Here are the differences that I have discovered:

1.) The CX760 lens performs slightly better than the NX70. I find the CX760 to have slightly sharper image on the edges of the lens when both lenses are wide open. (especially on the right side of the CX760. My NX70 is slightly "soft" on it's right side when wide open.)

2.) CX760 will go 3db higher in gain.(max of 24db) where the NX70 stops only at 21db. So you can get a brighter image on the top end of the CX760. (note: I noticed that noise levels at 21db were virtually identical on both cams)

Aside form that, the two are very similar in image quality. The steady shot on the CX760 is of course far superior to any camera I have ever seen. It's quite amazing.

The biggest drawback of the CX760 is that Sony did the typical "Handycam" manual setting crippling trick. You cannot adjust "gain", "shutter" and "iris" at the same time. You can pick only 1 to set. Selecting another will clear the last. You can run under a a manual shutter speed and ride the auto EV+/- to get the exposure you want but that not great for all situations.Luckily, Sony DID allow the CX760 to have selectable gain limit settings,..whew! Thank God!

Also,..."gain" levels are never displayed on your screen during shooting. You can view real time gain levels only on playback after the video is shot. The NX70, of course, does not have this problem.

One last thing. The CX760 has a GREAT zoom rocker. It is very smooooooth. You can get very nice slow creeping zooms with it. Even with a LANC controller too! (something the NX70 can't say even with the new firmware update)

Hope this is helpful.

CT

BTW...if the new NX30 has FULL manual controls like the NX70? I will sell my new CX760 and pickup an NX30 for sure.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #9
Major Player

I was about to mention the NX30. According to the initial specs, it should have full controls like the gamut of Sony's Professional line hence the price increase over the consumer model.

So I'm guessing with that said the NX30 should make for one tidy little camcorder.
Troy Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 06:34 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I will get the NX30 too and replace my CX700. I think the image difference may be the fact that the CX760 has a Zeiss lens with the older Sony's having a Sony G lens. When one factors in the mic and holder as well as likely the larger battery from the CX760 the price difference is not that great for the other controls. I think the NX30 with a Ninja may also be a better choice than the PMW100.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post

Here are the differences that I have discovered:

2.) CX760 will go 3db higher in gain.(max of 24db) where the NX70 stops only at 21db. So you can get a brighter image on the top end of the CX760. (note: I noticed that noise levels at 21db were virtually identical on both cams)
The NX70 will go to 24db if you enable Low Lux.

Rey
Rey Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #12
Trustee

Good catch, I stand corrected!

The two certainly are extremely similar. The biggest notable differences to me are:

NX70 Pros = Weatherproof, good lens ring and large screen.
CX760 Pros = Balanced Stabilization, slightly better lens and perfect zoom rocker

NX70 Cons = Horrible zoom issue.
CX760 Cons = "Handycam" manual control crippling.

If the new NX30 is allowed to have FULL manual control? Than the only advantage I can see with the NX70 is it's weatherproofing and larger Pro "look".

I'm just totally amazed by the new balanced stabilization. I can see this working it's way into many Pro Sony cams in the future!
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 03:53 AM   #13
Regular Crew

in the UK we have the 740 version (32g memory)
can't say the Zeiss lens is THAT much better than the G lens on the CX700, still a lot of red fringing on telephoto, perhaps slightly more contrast on wide, but flares more easy even with the supplied hood.
I hate the 17x extended digital zoom which you cannot switch off in steadyshot active mode, to make things worse there is no mark on the zoom bar to show when you are past the optical zoom and are digitally zooming.
So i'm having to use standard steadyshot which is 10x optical only, kind of dumb and defeats the object as max telephoto is super steady but fuzzy dv looking in active mode!

Plus point is the assignable "my buttons' on the LCD which you can choose any 3 items from the menu, i'm set for 1 touch focus / steadyshot / gain limit, so with the front dial on focus there isquite a bit of control on a small cam.

Last edited by Paul Rickford; June 2nd, 2012 at 03:55 AM. Reason: typo
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 05:47 AM   #14
Major Player

Paul. Can you explain more about your problem with the 17x extended zoom?
Thanks.

Mike
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #15
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Mike Burgess;1747603]Paul. Can you explain more about your problem with the 17x extended zoom?
Thanks.

Mike, The problem with this cam after getting quite a few hours in are as follows,
The wide to upper mid telephoto on the lens is very high quality, but i'm finding like other posters that the full telephoto end is very soft with bad pink fringing.
i'm resorting to using only two thirds of the zoom and keeping to standard steadyshot only as the so called 17x zoom is just a crop of the sensor which kicks in if you use steadyshot active mode, so with a already poor tele top end, what was Sony thinking cropping an already soft image and turning it to mush?

Thanks
Paul
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders