Sony to expand 35mm large format NXCAM lineup - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:47 AM   #181
Major Player

Re: Sony to expand 35mm large format NXCAM lineup

The major missing functionally relevant feaure is built in ND control. You will be forced to buy a matte box and 4x4's. Not good in my book. I'm sure people will make pretty nice looking videos with it though.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:56 AM   #182
Inner Circle

I think that could be a trade off in camera size, both the F3 and AF100 have larger bodies, which would allow space for larger internal ND filters that cover the sensor.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:28 PM   #183
Inner Circle

Since I would probably adapt my current lenses, I would handle ND as I do with my Nikon lenses for my Canon 5D now. Single or variable ND filters.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:55 PM   #184
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I was just thinking about the LCD position-- ie., top mounted LCD. Seems like a bad idea to me.

The top mounted LCD sure kills the potential of a quick and easy jib shot. I have a light jib that I set up up for a quick and easy shot sometime, Even with my 5D, I can see whether the image is in frame when the camera is elevated to above my head. You lose that here.

Seems like they put it on top like that more as a novel approach than a good idea.
The placement of the viewfinder allows viewing from any angle. You want to see it from the right side of the camera? Just tilt the monitor to the right. The only other camera that has that feature is the XF300/305 (maybe the RED and Epic?). Pretty handy feature, when you think about it. It sure is on my 305.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:58 PM   #185
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
I think that could be a trade off in camera size, both the F3 and AF100 have larger bodies, which would allow space for larger internal ND filters that cover the sensor.
The body size of the FS100 can be increased, and it wouldn't matter. It's the distance between the flange and sensor that keeps an ND filter wheel off the camera. The distance is just too shallow. The E-mount was designed for small NEX cams, not video cameras. They were never designed to fit a filter wheel.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:09 PM   #186
Inner Circle

The flange distance for the e mount is 18mm, which is more than you get on a c mount Bolex (17.526mm), which manages to fit a reflex prism with a ground glass surface on top into its flange distance.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:06 PM   #187
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
The flange distance for the e mount is 18mm, which is more than you get on a c mount Bolex (17.526mm), which manages to fit a reflex prism with a ground glass surface on top into its flange distance.
Just repeating what Sony claimed.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:08 PM   #188
Trustee

I really wanted the FS100 prior to its release, but now that I know its specs, this camera is a bust for two reasons: 1) no HD-SDI, so no 10bit output and 2) no ND filter. All of my equipment is HD-SDI and the Gemini is SDI only. I could use my nanoFlash but I hate HDMI because it doesn't lock. However, my most favorite part of the FS100 is the easy ability to use Sony Alpha lenses, which I used to shoot with as a stills photographer and absolutely love their Zeiss lenses. Plus, with the Alpha adapter, I get smooth iris changes whereas Zeiss/Nikon lenses require custom modification to get smooth iris changes to use with the F3.

Thus, I'm back to allocating funds to purchase the F3.

Actually, comparing costs of a full kit for the FS100 and F3, I can get a new Sony A900, Sony Zeiss 24-70/2.8, Sony G 70-200/2.8, Sony Zeiss 85/1.4 AND a FS100 for a few hundred dollars more than just a F3. Hmmmmm.....this really makes the FS100 appealing.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:20 PM   #189
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
The placement of the viewfinder allows viewing from any angle. You want to see it from the right side of the camera? Just tilt the monitor to the right. The only other camera that has that feature is the XF300/305 (maybe the RED and Epic?). Pretty handy feature, when you think about it. It sure is on my 305.
Not from underneath, or behind an elevated camera, from what I could tell. I believe the 300/305, lioke my Sony FX 1 have a top mounted LCD that swings out and can point down if it is high on a tall tripod or jib. Since the FS 100 does not do that, at least from what I saw, that is why I commented on it.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:39 PM   #190
Major Player

£6,000 and no HD-SDI? And who was in charge of ergonomics?

It looks like they blew the budget on the sensor and then threw the rest together with very little care or thought.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:56 PM   #191
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Not from underneath, or behind an elevated camera, from what I could tell. I believe the 300/305, lioke my Sony FX 1 have a top mounted LCD that swings out and can point down if it is high on a tall tripod or jib. Since the FS 100 does not do that, at least from what I saw, that is why I commented on it.
No, not from underneath, you are correct. But it still is one of two (I think) cameras that allow viewing from either side of the body. I find that feature extremely useful on my XF305, especially in tight spaces where I need to be on the right side of the camera.
For my purposes, I find that more useful than the ability to look up at a viewfinder. Of course, your jib mount would suffer. Actually, the XF305 can do both!
Old March 23rd, 2011, 04:00 PM   #192
Major Player

No HDSDI oh but it has HDMI... what a load of rubbish. As per previous post 6K camera and no HDSDI.

HDMI is not a professional solution and this is pitched as a professional camera,
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 04:07 PM   #193
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Shaw View Post
No HDSDI oh but it has HDMI... what a load of rubbish. As per previous post 6K camera and no HDSDI.

HDMI is not a professional solution and this is pitched as a professional camera,
Well, the Canon XF300 doesn't have HD/SDI and it's a very professional camera. But it's true, you can upgrade to an XF305 with HD/DSI.
I wonder if Sony will eventually include it?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 04:16 PM   #194
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Shaw View Post
As per previous post 6K camera and no HDSDI.
I hope you realize that just a couple of short years ago, you couldn't touch SDI on a camera for less than $10,000.

Most owner / operator folks have absolutely no need for SDI anyway.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 04:37 PM   #195
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
I really wanted the FS100 prior to its release, but now that I know its specs, this camera is a bust for two reasons: 1) no HD-SDI, so no 10bit output and 2) no ND filter. All of my equipment is HD-SDI and the Gemini is SDI only..
The AF 100 has a 8 bit HD SDI, so it would be unlikely you'd get 10 bit on the Sony camera. I understand the need for a locking connector, which is different matter.

The camera does seem to be covered in buttons and I suspect no one tested operating the camera wearing gloves. This isn't that unusual on Prosumer cameras, I suspect you could remove half of them and not miss them

One positive physical aspect is that you can mount your own accessories using the various screw holes on the camera.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta