Sony to expand 35mm large format NXCAM lineup - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old March 25th, 2011, 03:30 AM   #211
Regular Crew

Re: Sony to expand 35mm large format NXCAM lineup

I was looking for a new camera after my EX1 and I think that will be this one. Hope my EX1 will stays alive until next summer !
I'am a photographer too and I hope that I'll be able to use my nikon lens on the NEX-FS100. If i get it right S35mm is more or less like APS-C so my 50mmm 1,4 will behave like à 75mmm, and my 14mm 2,8 like a 21mm.
I like the small form factor too, good thing to cross borders.
I still do not have a slider travelling - I am living in Sénégal - but I really want one ! Will anyone gave me an advice on a good choice for that ? Which one is use in the video ?
Thanks
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #212
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Webster View Post
Agreed,

I don't think any expects a 10x 2.8 zoom.

17-50
24-70
70-20

all these are common with 2.8 aperture. You certainly do not need the expensive RED zooms. We will have e-mounts with OIS at a fraction of the price.

Obviously in the meantime the sony 18-200 is in fact excellent if you have light, and the nikons and sigmas already adapt for MF and manual aperture work.
I have a VG10 with the Sony 18-200 lens and it is a very good lens. By itself it runs about $800. Not the fastest, for sure, but Sony sells an a-mount adapter for about $160. With that, a whole family of lenses become available, including some really nice Zeiss lenses:

α (alpha) Lenses | Sony | Sony Style USA

I'm sure there's some useful lenses in that selection.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #213
Inner Circle

Here's some footage from the camera

vimeo.com/21461116
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #214
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
Here's some footage from the camera

vimeo.com/21461116
I love the sunset shot!

And this was shot with a relatively slow zoom lens, f3.5 - 6.3. Imagine it with a fast prime.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #215
Regular Crew

if I were to purchase this camera and a Sony EX1, would I be able to cover most of the variables necessary in shooting a movie (yes, I am very much a novice)

in the first picture at the top of this page is the camera configured with a rail, matte box and an impressive looking lens. What is the approximate total cost of this setup minus the monitor?

NEX FS 100…Sony’s affordable version of the F3, first footage | Philip Bloom
Old March 26th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #216
Inner Circle

I don't know which lens is being used, although it looks rather like a RED zoom which costs $6000.

Matte boxes, rails and follow focus, you could use a bundle for the Af100 at approx $1900. You can easily get much more expensive in that department
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #217
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
I have a VG10 with the Sony 18-200 lens and it is a very good lens. By itself it runs about $800. Not the fastest, for sure, but Sony sells an a-mount adapter for about $160. With that, a whole family of lenses become available, including some really nice Zeiss lenses:

α (alpha) Lenses | Sony | Sony Style USA

I'm sure there's some useful lenses in that selection.
there is no video continuous AF with A-mounts, hence they are not worth the trouble, IMHO
Charlie Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #218
Regular Crew

Are people still actually using autofocus for video? That's a massive surprise to me from this thread about so-called pro camcorders.
Gary Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #219
Wrangler

I can well imagine that there is probably a lot of feverish development going on at all of the camera and lens manufacturers in the realm of autofocus for large sensor video cameras. What worked for still cameras will not work for continuous shooting; what worked for small sensors won't be accurate enough for large.

Maintaining focus on moving objects will continue to be a challenge for everyone embracing these cameras, especially for those who cling to the notion that shallower is better.
Old March 26th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #220
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Maintaining focus on moving objects will continue to be a challenge for everyone embracing these cameras, especially for those who cling to the notion that shallower is better.
I agree.
Looking at the FS100, I'm seeing a camera that looks mostly suited for set-up shots, studio/sound stage type shooting, and perhaps close to hopeless for ENG, documentary,and run n' gun shooting.
With lens, hood, battery, etc. it's about the same size and weight as an EX1, but seems far less versatile.
Unless you absolutely need the shallow DOF, I can't really see it replacing the EX type cams.

Last edited by Robert Young; March 27th, 2011 at 12:45 AM.
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:40 AM   #221
Inner Circle

Perhaps suitable for a certain style of shooting documentary, although those tend to be the ones that the F3 would be used for.

Not the best choice for ENG or the run & gun style of film making.

Here's an example of the F3 being used, although it doesn't look that much different to 2/3" if you kept the lens aperture wide.

Old March 27th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #222
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
I can well imagine that there is probably a lot of feverish development going on at all of the camera and lens manufacturers in the realm of autofocus for large sensor video cameras.
Not just large sensor video cameras either. It seems that the R&D being done for consumer cameras is being used in prosumer cameras. There is some very clever stuff done with face recognition & autofocus which has been developed because consumers want simple point & shoot camcorders to take video of their kids & have it stay in focus. This sophisticated technology can be found in the Canon XF305 & Panasonic AG-AF101 & does a pretty good job which is almost spookily acurate at times.. The "Intelligent Auto" mode on the Panasonic GH2 does a damn fine job in most circumstances of taking good pictures with no skill from the photographer other than pointing & clicking. This level of smart automation can only improve with the passage of time.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta