Sony to expand 35mm large format NXCAM lineup - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old November 18th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #61
Major Player

Well the cheaper the better. If it makes video anywhere near the F3, things will never be the same. Besides minor updates where could they go from here? They could do 4k but that would kill what's so special about this chip, the incredible low light and dynamic range.

Bah who cares, just give me one.

Oh and you're welcome Glen. I included that picture of the back for that very reason.
Old November 19th, 2010, 02:32 AM   #62
Inner Circle

I gather the new camera isn't totally finalised and Sony has done a bit of a RED by showing prototypes/images, which may or may not be representative of the final camera.

I'm qualifying this because Ford introduced the Sierra as a concept car and everyone said that Ford wouldn't manufacture a car like that, but sure enough the following year it came out.
Ford Sierra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #63
Inner Circle

Well - the time from announcement from promised launch is probably LESS than the AF100 is going to be. It would also seem to be quite logical to announce it at the same time as the F3, which itself was announced only a few months before launch.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010, 07:23 AM   #64
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes View Post
The US$8000 figure will be high IMO. That figure was derived by a previous poster applying the EUro/USD spot FX-rate to the apparent stated price of Eur6000. These products are ALWAYS much less expensive in USA, than Europe, so my guess is that the US$price MSRP will be around US$6000 and street price.... probably very close the Pana AF100, and maybe actually less. Just my view on that. Depends on final spec of course, and if it comes with a lens.
That poster was me, sorry. I am ignorant of the international exchange rates. It was a guess, hopefully a wrong one. I prefer it be in the $4,000 - 6,000 range.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #65
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
Well - the time from announcement from promised launch is probably LESS than the AF100 is going to be. It would also seem to be quite logical to announce it at the same time as the F3, which itself was announced only a few months before launch.
That's why I qualified it, since I read that they seem to be still working on aspects of it. These could be enabled features or perhaps the external design. Although, I imagine the latter tends to lock into the market's mind more than internal features.
Old November 19th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #66
Regular Crew

What strikes me is the whole modular form factor, which does remind me of the reds. The emount ofcourse means it can use any lens ever made since 1945 right out of the box, since the adapters are already available.

I was playing last night with my new/old soligar 135mm f/2 on the vg10. To my surprise it was usable shot off a plain 501 head. It's really a sweet piece of glass for around 150. Another great low light deal is the Korean 85mm 1.4, which by all accounts is very sharp, and 240 new.

One would hope for a e-mount wide zoom of current nikon quality and speed someday. A lens like that in the 2-3k range would have a market waiting. Third party lens makers have got to eyeing the whole nex market.
Charlie Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #67
Major Player

Modular is fine but this thing looks like a brick. Looks more like a big DSLR than a video camera.

I've been thinking about it and I sure am going to miss the EX work flow and just all the hardware and so forth. XDcam EX is so easy to edit and looks so nice. AVCHD is such a pain, the high bitrate stuff even more so, to the point of it being stupid hard. At AVC 24mbps I would probably have to transcode everything into something else before dropping it into a timeline.

Last edited by Erik Phairas; November 19th, 2010 at 10:18 PM.
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #68
Inner Circle

The modular approach is more what you'd expect for the F3 (which does look rather pro-consumer), rather than the NXCAM model.

BTW It's amazing how large the F3 looks with a 35mm motion picture zoom lens & matte box fitted.
Old November 20th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #69
Regular Crew

All my experience is with the venerable pd170 and vx2k. I've been really surprised that tapeless prosumer cams- the good ones- all seem just as heavy or heavier.

Does anyone know how much this one weighs?

I finally bit the bullet and bought a vg10, which is wonderfully light. As most know it has a number of very silly limitations.

It is a flat out scandal that the Sony promo shows indie wannabe wandering around Bali with a tripod, while in fact vg10 tripod mount is ridiculous.

There is such an obvious niche for something between this 6k model and vg10. All they need is a better build and some more controls with the vg10-- well also moire filtering-- and it would be an instant star.

As far as the avhcd work flow, it seems no more pain than what it takes now to properly downsize for good DVD quality from the various hd codecs--- you can spend days reading those threads.
Charlie Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #70
Major Player

Seems to me that for less than $2k, the VG10 could have had a better OLPF, 24p (Canon has this on pretty much all of its AVCHD models), better controls, and 10-bit HDMI out (how much does 10- vs. 8-bit really add the cost of manufacture -- a few bucks?). XLRs are nice, but not really necessary -- if desired, they can be added on (and are, in fact, and add-on module for the 2/3-inch Scarlet).

Panasonic hobbled the AF100 with 8-bit HD-SDI/HDMI. Sony's hobbling their models with, in my opinion (obviously), excessively high price points. I really hope that Canon steps up to the challenge.
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #71
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Bansbach View Post
Seems to me that for less than $2k, the VG10 could have had a better OLPF, 24p (Canon has this on pretty much all of its AVCHD models), better controls, and 10-bit HDMI out (how much does 10- vs. 8-bit really add the cost of manufacture -- a few bucks?). XLRs are nice, but not really necessary -- if desired, they can be added on (and are, in fact, and add-on module for the 2/3-inch Scarlet).

Panasonic hobbled the AF100 with 8-bit HD-SDI/HDMI. Sony's hobbling their models with, in my opinion (obviously), excessively high price points. I really hope that Canon steps up to the challenge.
I consider XLRs very necessary on a professional video camera. Regardless of the sensor size, these are still video cameras. I want to plug in my mics without any attached gizmos.
I suspect10-bit over 8-bit is not just "a few bucks" to manufacture. Not sure why, but only the higher end cameras have this feature.
The VG-10 is marketed as a consumer cam. It still has the aliasing and moire issues that HD-DSLRs suffer from. The NXCAM shouldn't have these problems. But, you gotta pay for the upgrade. So far, this new cam sound pretty good.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #72
Inner Circle

Quote:
Seems to me that for less than $2k, the VG10 could have had a better OLPF, ...........
If it had a better (for video) OLPF, it would seriously compromise any ability to take still photos. With current technology, manufacturers don't have any realistic option - either compromise the still ability, or accept a high level of aliasing.
Quote:
and 10-bit HDMI out (how much does 10- vs. 8-bit really add the cost of manufacture -- a few bucks? ...........
It's not the giving of a 10 bit output that's the problem - rather whether or not it's worth it. If the camera noise threshold is above a certain level, 10 bit is pointless - all it's doing is encoding the noise with greater precision. Unfortunately, "10 bit recording" has got locked onto as a good marketing buzzword, whether it's worth it or not. The F3 may be one of the few cameras below $20,000 where 10 bit (and S-log etc) really does make a big difference.

It's not the 10 bit recording you're paying for - it's a camera with the front end specs to make 10 bit worth the effort.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #73
Major Player

Wow the red users are up in arms over sony's two new cameras. Bugs me they are so convinced a 1080p camera is not relevant these days. I feel the same thing about a 4k cameras. Hell I watch 95% of my movies at the Drive In and that is barely VHS quality.. ha ha.
Old November 21st, 2010, 02:34 AM   #74
Inner Circle

The 1080p market is much larger than 4k and that won't change for many years, especially when the world is in an economic recession.

The current push is 3D, rather than more resolution, which is great to have at acquisition, but there's a lot of "good enough" by producers (which has generally always been the case, that's why DIs are mostly 2k).
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:01 AM   #75
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Phairas View Post
Wow the red users are up in arms over sony's two new cameras. Bugs me they are so convinced a 1080p camera is not relevant these days. I feel the same thing about a 4k cameras. Hell I watch 95% of my movies at the Drive In and that is barely VHS quality.. ha ha.
What's a Drive-In? You mean like a burger place. :)
Bob Willis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta