Sony to expand 35mm large format NXCAM lineup - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old November 17th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
Here's further info on the camera. Looks like AVCHD 24mbps (as expected) but outputs uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2. PL lens mount is available. Price is around 6,000 Euros, which is about $,8,000 US. It's a bit pricier than the AF100, but isn't it also supposed to shoot in 1080/60P? I wonder if the lens is included ,and if it's the same lens as the VG-10's.

> News > Sony announce un-named low cost super 35mm CMOS warrior
One cool thing that is mentioned in the article is this quote: "...likely to be supplied with a Sony / Minolta manufactured zoom lens as standard." Sony has me intrigued with their latest option.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #32
Trustee

Af100 is 4/3, this is 35mm. Understandable the higher price pt. Canon, tell us yr game quick before the $$ flies!
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Phairas View Post
NEX sensor = not interested.
Latest web reports about the Sony event in Germany today suggest it is the exact same sensor as what's in the F3. I could be wrong (I was not there) but that's potentially very exciting news in a 6000 Euro camera (for me at least, as I can't afford an F3, at least not yet!). The footage released today from the F3 (see that forum section) is absolutely stunning!
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #34
Major Player

The S35 acronym instead of APS-C is purely for marketing reasons.Since is a pro version it has "pro-like" specs.
The sensor cannot be the same as F3, the price difference is huge to justify the extra functionality of the F3, so IMO is a tweaked NEX sensor.
Don't forget that usually $=E in number not in exchange rate, so it will be $6000 if the speculation is right. They charge 50% extra for 20% more sensor area, smaller form factor, interoperability with the NX line and the Sony badge, which is a lot but not absurd.
I still think the F3 is the way to go, provided it meets the expectations. Otherwise one can stick with DSLR's, because the instances where the 101 and the NXS35 are going to differ in quality are not that many and not always appreciated by the client/end viewer.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #35
Major Player

I disagree with you Emmanuel, the F3 is going to have S-Log, it's going to have 4:4:4 and the different mount which can us the 3 prime lens and the servo lenses that they are to show at NAB. It's not crippled by AVCHD. I can see them using the same sensor totally. It makes more sense to do it as the nxcam version is not going to steal thunder from the F3. Maybe amongst those who can't afford the F3 but I think those are the people Sony still wants to reach out to with this new modular camcorder. If some one wants SDI out I can see that being a extra modular piece one would have to buy. For me I'll take the AVCHD for my event jobs.
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis View Post
The S35 acronym instead of APS-C is purely for marketing reasons.
Not so, they are different sizes, as R Geoff Baker commented on a few posts back. Yes, the difference is slight in terms of area, but we are talking about two different sizes - so an APS-C sensor can't simply be labelled S35 for marketing.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #37
Inner Circle

FWIW, Sony is always developing newer sensors - basically "plug in" upgrades for existing cameras (higher specs of course), meaning they can sit behind a lens/mount with well known characteristics, so just the sensor and associated electronics are improved/tweaked...

It's a virtual certainty that Sony will be releasing a new "full frame" high rez sensor for the still camera side of the biz (which Sony has finally committed to also shooting video, preferably as well as possible). The A700 and A900 Alpha cameras are VERY well known to be overdue for replacement, and the A700 is discontinued. There's a very good chance that there will be some new high performance CMOS chips available that can migrate into the video side of the offerings.

While the NEX cameras (E mount) so far have been a little on the "toy" side of the equation, they've also been selling like sliced bread, as have the new SLT Alpha cameras. Sony knows there's a "professional" interest in these smaller, lighter, high performance camera "systems", probably a lot more than even they expected, and they no doubt will fill out the lines as quickly as they can. The E mount was designed from the ground up to be a VIDEO oriented lens mount, as they didn't feel the A mount was well suited to video.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #38
Major Player

For $10000 more you get dual HDSDI, the ability to use a budget lens, maybe a few extra features and ergonomics, and 35mbits MPEG2 instead of 24Mbits AVCHD.
I don't think you can justify a 160% price hike for the F3.
There must be a differentiation in the sensor or another major shortcoming in the new camera.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #39
Space Hipster

here's some video of the prototype:

YouTube - [InterBEE2010]SONY??? E?????NXCAM????

Notice on the info card at the beginning, it clearly states 1080/60p. 30p. 24p.

On the top handle, what looks like a mic holder, but pointing the wrong direction - is that for a viewfinder?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #40
Major Player

Bloom has put some info on his blog.

http://philipbloom.net/2010/11/17/f3nxcam/

Last edited by Mark OConnell; November 17th, 2010 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Forgot to give you the link!
Mark OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis View Post
....There must be a differentiation in the sensor or another major shortcoming in the new camera.
You are probably right about the latter Emmanuel. Philip Bloom and a couple other people have confirmed it is the same sensor as the F3.
Old November 17th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #42
Inner Circle

One of the pricing differential "reasons" is now clear. The new NXCAM will be "crippled" to do 25p or 50p in Europe and 24p and 60p in USA etc. Not switchable - Region locked.
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Quote:
here's some video of the prototype:

YouTube - [InterBEE2010]SONY??? E?????NXCAM????

Notice on the info card at the beginning, it clearly states 1080/60p. 30p. 24p.

On the top handle, what looks like a mic holder, but pointing the wrong direction - is that for a viewfinder?

What exactly is that thing attached to the cold shoe? Is that suppose to be a mic holder?

Ozzy
Ozzy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #44
Major Player

F3 sensor means it's a winner. Are they going for a RED one type deal when it's just a block and you buy everything separate? Even handles? Aww whatever, I want one.

So sticker price of 8 grand US, means maybe 6 or 7 street?

I hope they don't cripple it somehow, like for no apparent reason it has more noise or whatever.
Old November 17th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Quote:
It looks about the same size as a VG-10, but wider. But I'd really like an EVF. More than one XLR input would be nice, too. HD/SDI output would be sweet.
But talk about intriguing! If it's price-competitive with the AF100, 2011 is shaping up to be a really nice year - for us video techo-geeks, anyway.
Does anyone see a way to attach an evf to this thing? How about adding extra xlrs with a beachtek or juicedlink?
Ozzy Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta