DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   My EX1 may become a B-roll camera to this (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/493536-my-ex1-may-become-b-roll-camera.html)

Dave Morrison March 24th, 2011 01:08 PM

My EX1 may become a B-roll camera to this

Glad to see Sony has been listening and apart from a few small complaints, this may be the large-format sensor camera that I can afford:

Sony : NEX-FS100EK (NEXFS100EK) : Product Overview : United Kingdom
YouTube - NEX-FS100(NXCAM Super 35mm Sensor Camcorder)

Craig Seeman March 24th, 2011 03:07 PM

Re: My EX1 may become a B-roll camera to this

From what I've been reading there are a couple of minor downsides.
No built in ND filter.
Only one card slot.
No HD-SDI out.

But on the upside so I've heard
HDMI out will carry timecode
You can add a Sony HD recorder and record to it and record to the card simultaneously (great for those who want dual record safety)
It's APS-C size sensor (same as F3) which is a little bit bigger than Panny AF100 micro 4/3

I might be off on some of the above so others feel free to correct and expand.

BTW I don't think this makes the EX-1 a B camera. They serve two different purposes. The EX1 does resolve much higher I believe and is geared more to run and gun, ENG, fast setup.

Dave Morrison March 24th, 2011 03:41 PM

You hit most of the "gotchas" that I saw, Craig. The lack of the ND filter was a bit odd, but given the modular configuration of the body, I guess they are assuming that a mattebox with ND filter will be hung onto the front. But it won't be a fast selection like we have now. That memory module on the side of the the body was interesting, too. Is that what you were referring to when you said "Sony HD recorder"? I'd love to think that the HDMI port would be of the locking variety.

Craig Seeman March 24th, 2011 04:00 PM

Yes the memory module is what I was thinking of when I said HD recorder. Slides in rather than a dangle box which is important. 128GB which is a hefty amount of record time at 24mbps of AVCHD.
I should say "S35" sensor actually from what I understand.
My only personal quibble is the lack of ND because I really don't want to have to use a mattebox. I guess one could stick on a variable ND onto a lens.
About the HDMI, I'm thinking, given the position of the LCD, some might have wanted to use HDMI for monitoring and then HD-SDI to a recording device in some setups.

Andrew Bower March 24th, 2011 04:39 PM

Perfect timing. We are trying to decide on an EX3 or one of the new NX cams. We do mostly live event recording and absolutely love the EX3. But if we can get better image quality in a less expensive package, that would be great.
I would like HD-SDI output though! Tough to run back to a switcher/tricaster using HDMI -> converter.

Can't wait to see it at NAB!

Andrew

Craig Seeman March 24th, 2011 04:58 PM

What does "better" mean?
EX resolves higher than NEX.
FS100 will give you shallower DOF which is not necessarily "better" because it depends on the subject. If you're going to try and zoom and hold focus consider the complexity of focus pulling while manual zooming at the same time. And your still lens better not "breath" during the zoom. Most still lens weren't meant to hold focus throughout a zoom.

Zhong Cheung March 24th, 2011 07:08 PM

What do you guys mean by "resolve higher?" Like the EX is higher than 1080p resolution?

Andrew Bower March 25th, 2011 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1631323)
What does "better" mean?

OK, very bad choice of words. "Better" is totally subjective. Sorry about that. I am eager to see the quality of the FS100 footage and then compare it to the EX3.

We rent Z5s all the time (and EX3s every time our budget allows), and for some reason I am really noticing the compression on the Z5s more and more. We do a lot of medium shots of speakers on stage and we really notice that once the subject starts moving, the image gets soft. This is not a knock on the Z5 quality. The camera rocks, but we can really notice the difference when using a couple Z5s and an EX3 at the same event.

blah, blah, blah... basically we are looking to pick up an EX-level camera in the next few months and somehow know that as soon as we invest in one - something 'better' will be announced.

Isn't that a technology rule or something?

:)

Brian Drysdale March 25th, 2011 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhong Cheung (Post 1631343)
What do you guys mean by "resolve higher?" Like the EX is higher than 1080p resolution?

Not all cameras achieve the same resolution, which was part of the debate on the Panasonic AF100. In this price range the EX series have the best resolution figures, getting close to those found on much more expensive cameras. This involves using charts to see how many lines the camera can resolve - of course, the quality of the lens is also a factor. This is separate to any limitations in the codec being used or the recording format.

Steve Benjamin March 25th, 2011 06:10 AM

Will I ever be able to use my canon L series lenses on it?

Brian Drysdale March 25th, 2011 06:54 AM

I'd imagine the lens adapter manufacturers will produce adapters for all suitable lenses, the flange distance is very short on the e mount, so there shouldn't be any problems.

Buba Kastorski March 25th, 2011 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Benjamin (Post 1631471)
Will I ever be able to use my canon L series lenses on it?

starting from $20 on ebay, but all manual of course

Glen Vandermolen March 25th, 2011 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1631422)
Not all cameras achieve the same resolution, which was part of the debate on the Panasonic AF100. In this price range the EX series have the best resolution figures, getting close to those found on much more expensive cameras. This involves using charts to see how many lines the camera can resolve - of course, the quality of the lens is also a factor. This is separate to any limitations in the codec being used or the recording format.

I believe the Canon XF300/305 cameras have even better resolution than the EX cams.

Brian Drysdale March 25th, 2011 08:29 AM

Yes, not much between them, although the EX may just have a very slight edge. Although the Canon seems to be a bit cleaner looking on the zone charts. Certainly, the difference is nothing worth talking about I suspect.