DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Hands on the NEX-FS100, Downloadable Footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/493916-hands-nex-fs100-downloadable-footage.html)

John M Burkhart March 31st, 2011 11:13 PM

Hands on the NEX-FS100, Downloadable Footage

Got to get my hands on the NEX-FS100 for about an hour yesterday, in between meetings. Just enough time to handle it a bit and fire off some shots.

If you're interested, there is downloadable footage from the FS100 in .MTS streams straight off the camera on my blog, in 1080p25, 1080p25 slow motion 50fps, and in the new 1080p50 mode. You can view it in VLC, but the 50p is a bit jumpy.

Handling it, I thought the construction was just fine, similar to our EX-1's. It's not an Arri or a Leica like tank, but if you're ok with the build quality of the EX-1, you'll be fine with this.

The included lens is a dog, but hey, its selling point was you can add your own lenses. I would have loved to test it out with our set of Ultra Primes, but we didn't have a PL to E mount adapter.

A bit bummed that it's PAL or NTSC only and not both. Here in Southeast Asia, we have PAL countries and NTSC countries all in the same area to deal with.

The viewfinder is great, and extremely versatile in its viewing angle, which helps a lot. There's also a ton of mounting points on this thing which lets you slap on a bunch of accessories. Our Sony guy even demoed taking the tripod plate off the bottom and attaching to the side of the camcorder, in case you wanted to record 16:9 the long-way, for an installation.

This camcorder is all about versatility, really. Allowing a lot more customization than any other Sony camcorder. But the 7K price point, is just the beginning. Lenses, ND filters, Matte Boxes, maybe an HDMI capable recording device to get you out of AVCHD. It adds up pretty quick.

Glen Vandermolen April 1st, 2011 12:05 AM

Re: Hands on the NEX-FS100, Downloadable Footage

I enjoyed reading your blog. Thanks for the info.

Piotr Wozniacki April 1st, 2011 06:50 AM

Thanks John!

I downloaded your clips, and watching them on my 50" plasma, I can still see some noise on those large, single-color, medium-bright surfaces that I've hated in my EX1 (like the grey wall at the right of the scenes).

So, my questions is: could you please provide us with some information about the camera settings used (gain, aperture, shutter speed)?

Thanks,

Piotr

John M Burkhart April 1st, 2011 11:29 PM

Sure, Once I get back into the office at work I'll take a look at the metadata for those shots, and post them. I don't have a PC at home, and the Sony NXCAM clip browsing software doesn't work on a Mac.