Hands on the NEX-FS100, Downloadable Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old March 31st, 2011, 11:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hands on the NEX-FS100, Downloadable Footage

Got to get my hands on the NEX-FS100 for about an hour yesterday, in between meetings. Just enough time to handle it a bit and fire off some shots.

If you're interested, there is downloadable footage from the FS100 in .MTS streams straight off the camera on my blog, in 1080p25, 1080p25 slow motion 50fps, and in the new 1080p50 mode. You can view it in VLC, but the 50p is a bit jumpy.

Handling it, I thought the construction was just fine, similar to our EX-1's. It's not an Arri or a Leica like tank, but if you're ok with the build quality of the EX-1, you'll be fine with this.

The included lens is a dog, but hey, its selling point was you can add your own lenses. I would have loved to test it out with our set of Ultra Primes, but we didn't have a PL to E mount adapter.

A bit bummed that it's PAL or NTSC only and not both. Here in Southeast Asia, we have PAL countries and NTSC countries all in the same area to deal with.

The viewfinder is great, and extremely versatile in its viewing angle, which helps a lot. There's also a ton of mounting points on this thing which lets you slap on a bunch of accessories. Our Sony guy even demoed taking the tripod plate off the bottom and attaching to the side of the camcorder, in case you wanted to record 16:9 the long-way, for an installation.

This camcorder is all about versatility, really. Allowing a lot more customization than any other Sony camcorder. But the 7K price point, is just the beginning. Lenses, ND filters, Matte Boxes, maybe an HDMI capable recording device to get you out of AVCHD. It adds up pretty quick.
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:05 AM   #2
Space Hipster

Re: Hands on the NEX-FS100, Downloadable Footage

I enjoyed reading your blog. Thanks for the info.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:50 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks John!

I downloaded your clips, and watching them on my 50" plasma, I can still see some noise on those large, single-color, medium-bright surfaces that I've hated in my EX1 (like the grey wall at the right of the scenes).

So, my questions is: could you please provide us with some information about the camera settings used (gain, aperture, shutter speed)?

Thanks,

Piotr

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; April 1st, 2011 at 08:14 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sure, Once I get back into the office at work I'll take a look at the metadata for those shots, and post them. I don't have a PC at home, and the Sony NXCAM clip browsing software doesn't work on a Mac.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta