FS100. A real step-up from the VG10? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old April 9th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #16
HDV Cinema

Re: FS100. A real step-up from the VG10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
The Scarlet looks extremely promising, but it's a 3k 2/3" bayer sensor. Perhaps not the camera for the 35mm shallow DOF effect, but for a wide range of productions that are happy with a RAW workflow it could be hard to beat. A digital replacement for the 16mm film camera.
After reading thru posts on the RED it's clear that:

1) Looking at a sensor's size and comparing it to a film cameras aperture size is a popular way of thinking about "how little" DOF one can get, this ignores the both focal length and aperture. Having a 2/3 inch chip really doesn't limit the creative use of DOF. Likewise, having a S35 chip doesn't automatically get you the expected shallow DOF. And, in low light, a S25 chip can force you into so little DOF you can't keep anything in focus.

2) Amazingly, lots of folks do not understand what a RED "3K" chip really is. Nor, do they understand that HDSLRs discard rows/columns when shooting video. Thus, they don't understand how a RED works INTERNALLY and why it is used for making films.

3) Amazingly, many do not understand that RAW does not mean video is uncompressed. So they assume you can only record a few minutes of video on an SD card.

4) Likewise recording RAW doesn't force you into using its abilities. Even iPhoto works with RAW. RAW simply means no intra- or inter-frame encoding has been applied. Think of AVC-Intra without the "intra."

5) It might be wise to ignore chip size and focus on OPTICS. Simply assuming "adaptors" will get you past E-mounts is a major error IMHO.

CORRECTION: Not even Sony's A-mount adaptor gets one very far because A-mounts are not the lenses that offer you a lot. You'll need to enter the world of "adaptors" that mount to an E-mount camera but have no electronic or mechanical coupling. In this world you really on your own when buying and using. I cover a few in my book but there are dozens. Thankfully old photo lenses are cheap to try.

Last edited by Steve Mullen; April 10th, 2011 at 02:51 PM.
Steve Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #17
Space Hipster

I've always had good DoF control with 2/3" cameras. I think the Scarlet will do fine.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #18
HDV Cinema

The RED folks are having their own level of confusion. One post says Scarlet was canceled. Another says it will only have a fixed lens. Another says, but now it is a 5K camera. (None of this true.)

And, FCP users are tearing their hair out because perhaps all tape I/O has been removed.

I think everyone is having pre-NAB crazies with so much new VERY complicated stuff.
Old April 9th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #19
Inner Circle

What does this have to do with the FS100 being a step up or not from the VG10?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #20
Inner Circle

The RED came up because their alternatives in the $6000 price range got mentioned. Whenever it comes out, the 2/3" Scarlet is RED's only likely offering in that price range.

Scarlet 8x meets the Iron Horse

Not large sensor, but promises other things.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 06:24 AM   #21
Space Hipster

That's a nice pic of the Scarlet. I haved a feeling that of all the recent NABs, this one might be THE one to attend.

I also looked at some of the posts on that RED website. For some reason, i always find that site a little unnerving.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I didn't find specs. Does the Scarlet have built-in ND filters? Is that a standard PL mount?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #23
Inner Circle

There are two versions of the Scarlet a fixed x 8 zoom version and an interchangeable lens version. The camera in the picture is the fixed x 8 zoom version. The interchangeable version has a mini mount of RED design.

The Scartlet x 8 zoom version does have built in NDs

Possibly built in NDs maybe less likely on the interchangeable version (it's a cinema type camera), but that remains to be seen. I expect it really depends on if there's a demand for them on that version.

Later this year, early next year there should be a range of camera choices from different manufacturers in this price bracket.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #24
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
That's a nice pic of the Scarlet. I haved a feeling that of all the recent NABs, this one might be THE one to attend.

I also looked at some of the posts on that RED website. For some reason, i always find that site a little unnerving.
I avoid it too. The site is like attending a pre-NAB press event in Feb. where you are fed "some" information. Eventually you stop attending and wait for NAB. For now, I understand what RED technology offers, but without a shipping product, I just keep it in the back of my mind.

Last edited by Steve Mullen; April 10th, 2011 at 03:19 PM.
Steve Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Also, rumours of a 4k Ikegami 4/3 with a PL mount at NAB
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta