NEX-FS100 demo footage shot for NAB - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old May 10th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: NEX-FS100 demo footage shot for NAB

I guess a USB 3.0 version of the flash drive would not have much benefit, as USB 2.0 is faster than the speed SD cards work at, so I have heard.

When recording to both SD card and the 128GB optional flash drive, does anyone know what happens when one stops working? Is there a unwanted warning/interruption that you have to stop and deal with? I would hope you can just continue to record the action.

Not sure why Sony would not have just added a second card slot for dual recording instead of making people buy an expensive add on unit--is there any logic to this???

Lexar makes a 128GB SDXC card, that size is a good match for the optional recording unit, not sure if the FS-100 is compatible with 128GB SD cards. That would mean less time/problems fiddling with cards all day. But that's a lot of eggs to put in one basket though--less of a concern when using the backup drive.

I don't understand how the 128GB optional drive can record for 10 hours, I am getting maybe 80 minutes out of 32GB with my DSLR.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #32
Trustee

Hi Galen,

Only 80 minutes sounds very odd. With my EX3 at 35Mb/s plus 16bit uncompressed audio, I get 110 minutes on a 32GB SxS card. Your DSLR is only ~21Mb/s and far lower quality audio; so, you should get much longer recording times.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #33
Vortex Media

Just to add to what Steve already said, the FS100 is only going to record at 24Mbps in 30P and 24P recording modes, so that's how you end up with 10 hours on a 128GB drive.

Having one card slot isn't a problem for me because I NEVER have two cards loaded in a camera even if it does have two slots. If having only one slot shaves a few bucks and size/weight off of the camera, I say it was a great idea.
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #34
Vortex Media

QUOTE: "I read on another site, the Genus ND filter is not a good option for wider angle lenses. Has anyone tried it with a 50mm or wider?"

Joe, whoever said that is misinformed. About 50% of the video I posted to start this thread was shot with a Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 lens with Genus Variable ND polarizer. 17mm would certainly be considered wide angle. Yoiu should post the link to my Vimeo video on the other website and set the record straight. Misinformation, that goes unchallenged, about a camera hurts everyone who chooses to buy it later on down the road.
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
Hi Galen,

Only 80 minutes sounds very odd. With my EX3 at 35Mb/s plus 16bit uncompressed audio, I get 110 minutes on a 32GB SxS card. Your DSLR is only ~21Mb/s and far lower quality audio; so, you should get much longer recording times.
It doesn't sound odd, im not sure where you are getting 21Mbps, but if Galen is using canon DSLRs, standard bitrate for 1080p recording should be ~45Mbps, so ~90min should be about right for 32GB.

32000MB / (45Mbps / 8bitsperbyte) / 60 secondsperminute = 94 minutes

And for the NEX-FS100
128000MB / (24Mbps / 8bitsperbyte / 60 secondsperminute / 60 minutesperhour = 11.9 hrs
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #36
Major Player

Thanks, Noah, I ran a 32GB card on a T2i, using the auto restart mode in Magic Lantern, and got the 90 minutes. Longer recording times on a given size SD card compared to a DSLR must be another plus for the FS-100.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #37
Inner Circle

About 50% of the video I posted to start this thread was shot with a Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 lens with Genus Variable ND polarizer. 17mm would certainly be considered wide angle. Yoiu should post the link to my Vimeo video on the other website and set the record straight./QUOTE]

Have you tested the variable ND for IR contamination? It's an issue with standard ND filters used with CMOS cameras.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Sorry double post
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #39
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
Have you tested the variable ND for IR contamination?
No I didn't.
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Early days yet, given time I expect they'll be done.
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Joe, whoever said that is misinformed. About 50% of the video I posted to start this thread was shot with a Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 lens with Genus Variable ND polarizer. 17mm would certainly be considered wide angle. Yoiu should post the link to my Vimeo video on the other website and set the record straight. Misinformation, that goes unchallenged, about a camera hurts everyone who chooses to buy it later on down the road.
I agree misinformation should be challenged, so for clarity;

The reason you see no vignetting on your shots here is because you are using a full-frame 135 format lens.

Put the same lens and vari-ND on a D3 and it will vignette at around 24mm.

On the FS100, if you use a DX or EF-S lens, like the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, it will vignette at around 12mm.
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
You should post the link to my Vimeo video on the other website and set the record straight. Misinformation, that goes unchallenged, about a camera hurts everyone who chooses to buy it later on down the road.
Thanks, I will.
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #43
Vortex Media

And this is not a D3 forum. We are talking about the filter working on an FS100, therefore the results with other cameras are irrelevant here.
I would be very surprised to see vignetting with a DX lens. I look forward to trying it the next time I have a FS100.
Old May 12th, 2011, 01:45 AM   #44
Major Player

Yes, Doug we are talking about the FS100 and no, it's not irrelevant. The other camera I mentioned was to help with my explanation - let me have another go, so people understand:)

Again, this is just for clarity - not trying to start a row here and certainly not trying to take anything away from your very valid test footage...

You have used a lens designed for a full frame stills camera, a camera such as a Nikon D3 (nothing wrong with that BTW). You are using it on a camera with a smaller sensor. Thus you are shooting through the middle of the lens- clear of the vignetting. If you pop the lens on a full frame camera - you'll see the vignetting.

If you use a lens on your FS100 designed for the format - like a DX lens or an APS-C lens and you use a variable ND, you'll clearly see vignetting on wides.

Ultimately, everyone will make their own mind up. To me, variable NDs are useful and they do have their place in my kit bag, but they do have issues. Personally, I don't like the inconsistent colours they produce or the fact that I can't use my lens hoods, but I do like the speed they deliver in finding a good exposure.

There's a lot of comment all over this forum on variable NDs and it's probably well past time we got all the facts on the table. Maybe I'll start a thread on it somewhere. Anyway, in the meantime, here's an excellent review on the Genus/Sing-ray:

David vs Goliath – can a “cheap” Variable Neutral Density Filter beat the top of the line? | Benjamin Moritz Photography – the blog
Old May 12th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #45
Inner Circle

I'm one of those cave men who prefers tripods over hand held, except for specific scenes. So, a mattebox and filters won't bother me. I'm also interested in things like Tiffen Black Promist filters and other cinematography tools.

I'm looking forward to tests with the final production camera. Maybe Sony will listen and make the thing a world camera instead of segregated. Really not good thinking on that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta