Den Lenny NAB video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old April 26th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Den Lenny NAB video

Here's an interview with Den Lenny about the FS100

NAB11 FS100 with Den Lenny at FreshDV

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; April 26th, 2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Correcting name block
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Den Lenny NAB video

Interesting that Den Lenny was less than excited about the placement of the LCD screen, and the loupe attachment. I could not figure out why they would mount that LCD on top of the camera. Makes it far more difficult to set up an shoot a high overhead shot...Same arrangement on a side flig out LCD, and you are good to go.... We shall see....
Old April 26th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

It's done so that you can operate the camera from either side, useful for interviews where you want to swap the eyeline. It's also good for shooting in confined spaces such a car, say sitting in the front passenger seat of a right hand drive car shooting the driver. Compared to an LCD mounted on the side the top mounted LCD can be seen from more angles. Admittedly from below is impossible, but that's about the only direction from which it can't be viewed.

I was out and about with Den today shooting with both an FS100 and an F3. Results will be posted soon. All I can say is I am impressed.
Old April 26th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Alister are you hearing any info about a solid release date? I'm hearing more and more as late as August. Thanks
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Allister... understand the concept, just seems like a mount like the Z-1 could have worked. But we shall see. Seems like if you are on a high tripod or jib mount, you will have a devil of a time framing. Obvious resolution is a separate monitor, which would be in order in most situations. I hope I am all wet on that, as I really like a lot of things about this camera and want it to be my replacement for the Canon 5D...
Old April 26th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #6
Inner Circle

At the NYC event in late March, someone turned the FS100 upside down and the image flipped in the view finder (flat against the body). I don't know if it flipped the recorded video.
Old April 26th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #7
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
Alister are you hearing any info about a solid release date? I'm hearing more and more as late as August. Thanks
Unless there is another disaster in Japan, I'm certain delivery will begin much sooner than anyone expects. While working for Sony at NAB I was telling people no later than June/July. Not only I'm standing by that prediction, I would not be surprised if it was even sooner. If you're serious about an FS100, get your order placed now.
Old April 26th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #8
Major Player

Regarding: "I could not figure out why they would mount that LCD on top of the camera. Makes it far more difficult to set up an shoot a high overhead shot."

In some situations I can see mounting a small mirror on a double arm adjustable support at the back of the camera to reflect the LCD image downward, to verify framing. There certainly are a good choice of attachment points.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #9
Vortex Media

I'd just hold the camera upside down over my head with both hands, with the LCD flush against the camera body, and flip the image in post. Simple.
I actually tried that at NAB and it worked great.
Old April 27th, 2011, 05:24 AM   #10
Space Hipster

Why would Lennie (FreshDV mis-spelled his name) be less than excited about the viewfinder placement? I thought he was one of those who was consulted and wanted it there, Hasselblad-like.
And I think the XF300 has the best LCD mount - big 4", it flips to either side, and can be viewed straight up or down. It's so far forward on the body that you can add a Hoodman eyepiece and the camera can actually be semi-shoulder mounted.

Still, I love the originality of the FS100's overall design - so different than what's come before it.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #11
Vortex Media

Glen, I have to agree with you there. The Canon XF305/300 viewfinder design, placement, and overall picture quality is the best of any of the small camcorders.
Old April 29th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Unless you want to use the 300/305 with a large matte box or with a sliding grad. It also gets in the way on many autocues and 3D rigs. Why oh why do camera designers place stuff forward of the end of the lens.
Old April 29th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #13
Vortex Media

Just for the record, I have been able to use a matte box with sliding grad filters just fine with the XF305. No problem at all.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:20 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Unless there is another disaster in Japan, I'm certain delivery will begin much sooner than anyone expects. While working for Sony at NAB I was telling people no later than June/July. Not only I'm standing by that prediction, I would not be surprised if it was even sooner. If you're serious about an FS100, get your order placed now.
Doug you said it and it looks like shipping at the end of May. Abel Cine tweeted availability at the end of May. I wish I was not told July by Juan Martinez. Would've waited a bit longer and purchased the FS100 instead.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 03:17 PM   #15
Vortex Media

Yes, the FS100 should be shipping by the end of this month. I wasn't allowed to say anything until now.
I think that will surprise a lot of people. I've been telling Sony since last fall to release more information about the camera much sooner than they did and to let people know it is closer to launch than expected. I know a lot of people who bought AF100's who would have waited for the FS100 if they had known it was just around the corner -- and how much better it would be. I tried to warn them, and for your sake, I wish they had listened.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta