DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Another lens and adapter question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/496154-another-lens-adapter-question.html)

Bruce S. Yarock May 19th, 2011 08:23 PM

Another lens and adapter question

I have several Canon lenses that I've been using with my Canon 7d's , and a collection of nikon manual primes that I used with my Letus extreme. I wanted to see if someone could clarify what I'd need for the FS 100.

For the Canon lenses I'd need an adaptor. Who carrys these and are they available?
Does it matter if they're L lenses ( 70-200 f2.8) or ultrasonic (17-55 2.8, etc.)? I assume the same adapter would work for both lenses, correct?

For the nikon manual primes, what adapter would I use, and is one available?

The Canons I have are
70-200 f2.8 L
17-55 f2.8 Ultrasonic
Tokina 11-16 f2.8
50mm f1.4

The nikons are primes from 24mm up to 135mm.

I'd love to be able to use both the Canons and the Nikons..

I watched the interview with the guy from Birger Engineering, but when I went to their web page there was no info on the canon adapter for the fs 100.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
www.yarockvideo.com

Brian Drysdale May 20th, 2011 01:49 AM

Re: Another lens and adapter question

From what happened with the RED One, Birger seem to be a bit slow in communicating things. It's possible they're tied up with the AF 100 and F3, since you can't yet get a FS100, they mightn't have got to the stage of marketing an adapter for the new camera or even fully developed it yet because they don't have a camera.

I'd try e-mailing them

Jon Braeley May 20th, 2011 10:36 AM

I asked a similar question in another post on EOS lenses and an adapter.

I think the majority of FS-100 users will come from Canon DSLR's and you would think that Sony would manufacturer their own adapters for Canon lenses. It would be worthwhile I think rather than leaving this to a 3rd party.
I want to keep my Canon lenses ready for the new 5DIII and I think these two cameras would go well together. My FS-100 order has been in since day one.

Chris Edgette May 20th, 2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1650996)
From what happened with the RED One, Birger seem to be a bit slow in communicating things. It's possible they're tied up with the AF 100 and F3, since you can't yet get a FS100, they mightn't have got to the stage of marketing an adapter for the new camera or even fully developed it yet because they don't have a camera.

I'd try e-mailing them

They have said that the appropriate thing to do is to get on their email list, but they also did not send out updates when they said they would.

I have sent them an email using their contact form and they did not respond to it. I realize they are busy, but they really need to take 5 minutes to put out a simple update. I'm sure I'm not the only one trying to decide how to lens this camera.

I did talk to someone there the other day and she said that she *thought* the FS100 part would be out by the end of May. She didn't sound very sure though.

Brian Drysdale May 20th, 2011 01:18 PM

That sounds rather like the pattern with the RED One adapter. Although, it seemed to get there in the end, apart from RED withdrawing their camera warranty eventually.

They seem to be making one for the AF 100, I'd find out what's going on with that camera and the Birger.

Chris Edgette May 20th, 2011 03:52 PM

They are making one for the AF100. As far as I know, it's not out yet.

I talked to them on May 2, the day that the FS100 release date got bumped up. They said their original plan was to release the AF100 product end of May or beginning of June, with the FS100 product release in late July. Since the FS100 release was bumped up, they were working on bumping up their product release for the FS100 to match.

In other words, it sounded like the AF100 was coming, but that the FS100 product wouldn't be far behind. That is a lot for a company like that to manage though, so we'll see how it goes. I hope they can pull it off, and that the first round of adapters are problem-free...

Asif Khan May 22nd, 2011 03:21 AM

There are Nex to EOS adapters but no way to change the aperture. Canon EOS lenses are at minimum aperture when they are not on a Canon body. The lenses do not have aperture rings and when used with an adapter on a Sony NEX body, the aperture cannot be changed.

However, this might be changing soon.

Asif Khan May 22nd, 2011 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asif Khan (Post 1651577)

Their website is

conurus N-mount to EF-mount conversion with autofocus and automatic aperture diaphragm

The Nex forum is

conurus :: View topic - Sony NEX (micro-APS) adapter?

The "latest" post on Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:19 am was

Quote:

Tried a Contax N Planar 85/1.4 (already converted to Canon EF mount) today on our prototype adapter, and I can control its aperture from a Sony NEX camera body!

We are translating the electronic communication protocol from Contax N to Canon EF using the existing conurus chip, and then from Canon EF to Sony NEX using the new conurus microprocessor. Stacking 2 protocol translators like this is non-trivial, and we still some work to be done, but our initial results show that it is possible.

We have not made a decision whether to try making a direct Contax N to Sony NEX adapter. That is currently not in our product plan. We would like to do one thing at a time before deciding what to work on next.

Follow 'conurus' on Twitter to find latest updates on what I am working on.

Bill Bruner May 30th, 2011 11:14 AM

Bruce -- as others have said, there are challenges with using Canon EOS lenses on non-Canon cameras because they don't have manual aperture rings. If you don't want to wait for the Birger, and you're OK with shooting with the aperture wide open, there are "dumb" adapters you can buy, like these:

There is also a Kipon EOS to NEX adapter with a built in manual aperture ring, described here ( ).

The situation for your Nikon lenses is less complicated, since even the newer Nikkors still have manual aperture rings. Here are a range of adapters, from low end to high end:

Hope this is helpful.

Bill

Viswanadha Reddy June 1st, 2011 08:42 AM

Christopher Doyle - Cinematographer:

"You see the world, you end up in jail three or four times, you accumulate experience. And it gives you something to say. If you don't have anything to say then you shouldn't be making films. It's nothing to do with what lens you're using.
:)

Bruce S. Yarock June 1st, 2011 09:13 AM

Bill,
Thanks for the info. At least I know there's an inexpensive option, should I want to use my Nikon lenses until birger has their Canon adapter available.

Viswanada,
Your reply has NOTHING... NADA to do with my original questions.

Bruce Yarock
Yarock Productions

Viswanadha Reddy June 2nd, 2011 03:18 AM

Ok..i was reading on internet,just feel like posting :)..anyhow i am going with 16mm 2.8 sony which makes 23mm =>on fullframe..which ideal formy case

Monty Wentzel August 27th, 2011 05:09 PM

I want to use manual Rokinon lenes with eos mounts on a sony nex fs100 camera. These lenses are manual, they do not have any electronics in them for focus or apeture. I prefer manual any way.

From what I understand smart adapters aren't really here yet, no problem... I will be purchasing manual lenses for use on a Sony nex fs100 and need a dumb adapter.

Rainbow doesn't get good marks for fit, it's either too loose or not tight, so says the reviews?

Now I'm looking at pro optic? anyone with experience using this one? Can't find any reviews on this one.

Thanks,

Monty

Jean-Philippe Archibald August 27th, 2011 05:14 PM

Not with pro optics, but I am using Fotodiox with the 35mm and 85mm Rokinons. Inexpensive and pretty tight.

Jon Braeley August 27th, 2011 07:14 PM

The Rokinon lenses also come with A-mount which is what I use with the Sony adapter - this way you know its the best fit.