Starting from scratch... Lens brand and mounts? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old July 17th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #46
Trustee

Re: Starting from scratch... Lens brand and mounts?

Not to be redundant, but I'm real happy with the kit lens (18-200). It looks good, the autofocus is very usable when needed, and because of the low light capability of the camera, I can get away with it wrere I would have normally needed a gaster lens.
It makes the camera capable of run and gun and event work, which is a lot of what I do.
Right now I'm trying to figure out what shoulder ig I'll go with.

I'll post pics on another thread.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #47
Major Player

John,

I have that Tamron lens but in a Nikon mount and It is ok. I have come to the conclusion that I need one Sony lens http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582764-REG/Sony_SAL1635Z_SAL_1635Z_16_35mm_f_2_8_ZA.htmland http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/545867-REG/Sony_SAL70300G_SAL_70300G_70_300mm_f_4_5_5_6G_SSM.html to cover the focal length I need for run and gun work. I have my Nikon lens for any other work that doesn't need auto focus. For any A mount lens for auto focus to work there has to be SAM or SSM autofocus but most A mount lens will have auto iris.

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Dan,

Thanks for the info. I'll check those other lenses out.
John Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #49
Regular Crew

With the FS100's sensor being relatively the same size as an APS-C sensor, would you have the crop factor issue using full-frame lenses (like the EF's)? Was this meant to be used with APS-C lenses?
Edward Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #50
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
The amount of softness and vignetting is the same as you see on a DX Nikon camera because the sensor sizes are very similar. However, if you use FX full frame lenses on the FS100, then you are using the sweet spot of the lens and edge issues will be far less prevalent. This is why I want to use Sony Alpha lenses because most of their lenses are full frame, not to mention that their Sony Zeiss lenses are amazing.

The Nikon 18-200 is better than the Sony 18-200 so if you already have that Nikon lens, then stick with it. However, this Nikon lens has really bad distortion on the wide end and gets very soft past 135mm, not something I would ever use for video.

Watch out for the new Sony 16-50 lens which should be either a constant f2.8 or f4.0 and very cheap. It will be announced with the release of a few new Sony cameras, the A65, A77 and a 'Pro' NEX camera in early August. Sony will announce another lens or two and stock should be available in October. Another good and low cost lens is the Sony Zeiss 16-80 3.5-4.5 which gives you 24-120mm on the FS100 for $700. Also, they have a Sony G 24-70 2.8 for half the cost of their Zeiss 24-70 but I have not seen any tests of it yet.
I've been told that some manufacturers make wide-angle lenses without barrel distortion. Sounds good to me. Anybody know which manufacturers make "distortion free" wide-angle lenses for the NEX-FS100?

Inquiring minds need to know.
Shawn Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #51
Inner Circle

You could check out the Canon 14mm

Canon EF 14mm f/2.8 L USM Lens Review
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #52
Trustee

One of the best distortion-wise is the Nikon 14-24 f2.8 full-frame BUT it greatly suffers from flare and ghosting and costs between $1400-1800 (I think).

What you are looking for is a 'Rectilinear lens'.

Sigma makes a great super wide lens but I can't recall which one.

I believe the best rectilinear lens ever made is the Arri 8mm. I will let you find the price because I don't want to spoil the moment when you see its price.

Update on the new Sony equipment: the 16-50 f2.8 is a great lens for $700 and is sharp wide open and tack sharp stopped down to f4. However, its weaknesses are corner softness and vignetting on the wide end at f2.8.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 02:17 AM   #53
Major Player

The Tokina 11-16mm 2.8.
I've used mine (on a D5100) on a paid job for the first time yesterday. Very wide.
Old August 29th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
One of the best distortion-wise is the Nikon 14-24 f2.8 full-frame BUT it greatly suffers from flare and ghosting and costs between $1400-1800 (I think).

What you are looking for is a 'Rectilinear lens'.

Sigma makes a great super wide lens but I can't recall which one.

I believe the best rectilinear lens ever made is the Arri 8mm. I will let you find the price because I don't want to spoil the moment when you see its price.

Update on the new Sony equipment: the 16-50 f2.8 is a great lens for $700 and is sharp wide open and tack sharp stopped down to f4. However, its weaknesses are corner softness and vignetting on the wide end at f2.8.
Hey Steve did you get a chance to use the 16-50mm f/2.8 lens? If so did you use it with the LA-EA2 alpha a-mount to e-mount adapter? thanks
Allan Tabilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #55
Regular Crew

I don't own the camera yet but I am purchasing a Rokinon 85mm prime. This is a manual lens, focus and iris are on the lens. I selected Canon Ef mounts and will use a dumb converter. I shoot with a 7d now and want to see how the Rokinon lens does.

Later I may just order a set of Rokinon lenses with E mounts to use with the FS100 or may just order them all with Canon mounts and continue to use the converter if there are no problems with using it.

Don't really know yet.
Monty Wentzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #56
Regular Crew

I didn't think Rokinon made lenses in E-Mount - only A-Mount for Sony. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Ryan Creason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #57
Regular Crew

I dont really get the whole par forcal/non parfocal issue..

I thought that a backfocus adjustment was designed to take care of that?
Dominik Krol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #58
New Boot

Does anybody own a Sony NEX-FS100 along with the Tokina 11-16 2.8 lens?

Hope so.

If you do, I'll assume that you're using the Sony Alpha LA-EA1 Camera Mount Adapter. (correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't know if you've already tried this, or have time to, but I'd love to see some footage from the FS-100 / Tokina 11-16 2.8 lens combination.

Stills, videos, I don't care. I'll take them all.

I just want to see how that lens works on this camera.

If you have any footage showing 11 through 16, that would be amazing.

I can't thank you enough.
Shawn Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #59
Regular Crew

I'd love to see this as well, Shawn. Good idea! Thanks in advance guys!
Ryan Creason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #60
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Sutherland View Post
Does anybody own a Sony NEX-FS100 along with the Tokina 11-16 2.8 lens?

Hope so.

If you do, I'll assume that you're using the Sony Alpha LA-EA1 Camera Mount Adapter. (correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't know if you've already tried this, or have time to, but I'd love to see some footage from the FS-100 / Tokina 11-16 2.8 lens combination.

Stills, videos, I don't care. I'll take them all.

I just want to see how that lens works on this camera.

If you have any footage showing 11 through 16, that would be amazing.

I can't thank you enough.
From what I have heard, most people are getting the Duclos 11-16 f2.8 and everyone loves it. I think its only significant weakness is CA in addition to being slightly soft wide open at 11mm but very sharp at f4.

Also, I have been told that the Novoflex A-mount adapter is much better than the Sony adapter.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta