DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Waiting for E-mount lenses... Waiting, Waiting... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/497243-waiting-e-mount-lenses-waiting-waiting.html)

Jon Braeley June 16th, 2011 06:42 AM

Waiting for E-mount lenses... Waiting, Waiting...

Now the excitement is gone - the FS-100 has arrived it's time to do a reality check. What happened to all the promised e-mount lenses? It is officially summer here.
I just did a quick check on blog updates and it looks bleak for any new lenses this summer. Sigma-Tamron and even Zeiss all stated they would have e-mount lens options - unless the tech blogs were overly optimistic which is often the case.

Yes I know adapters are out there - I have them. But native e-mount lenses give run and gun film makers more options for fast speedy shooting - one of my reasons to get onboard.

Anyone have an update to add to this?

Bill Bruner June 19th, 2011 07:57 AM

Re: Waiting for E-mount lenses... Waiting, Waiting...

Except for the $249 Sony 30mm f3.5 macro announced a few weeks ago (and not expected until October), all I hear is the sound of crickets.

I feel your pain -- I am a micro 4/3 shooter who is hoping that the flurry of announcements of new manufacturers joining the m4/3 system a couple of months ago turns into real lenses.

In the meantime, FS100 shooters are going to have to live with the adapter and Sony Alpha lenses if they want any kind of "auto" lens capability.

Dan Asseff June 25th, 2011 10:04 AM

Bill,

The only auto is auto iris on alpha lens, at least the one I tried. I don't understand why it wouldn't have auto focus too. I was wanting to see if I should buy alpha or nikon, well I guess it's nikon.

Dan

Jon Braeley June 25th, 2011 01:08 PM

I am testing the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 with Alpha mount. so far looks fine. Iris works fine. I am told the stabilization works as well.

Dan Asseff June 25th, 2011 01:29 PM

Jon, does the auto focus work? I was looking at the Tokina 16-50 2.8 for Nikon but I would go with Sigma if it would auto focus. Keep us posted.

Dan

Laurence Janus June 25th, 2011 05:46 PM

I was told by the staff at "Sony Style" that only alpha lenses with SAM or SSM autofocus would autofocus using the E mount adapter

Dan Asseff June 25th, 2011 09:35 PM

Laurence, Thank you for that info. At least now I know what to get. The only problem is there isn't that many choices. Here is one but very pricey http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582764-REG/Sony_SAL1635Z_SAL_1635Z_16_35mm_f_2_8_ZA.html

Dan

Jamie Roberts June 26th, 2011 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Asseff (Post 1661797)

I intend to buy this lens. The lens doesnt extrude when you zoom which is great if you want to use a matte box

Bill Bruner June 26th, 2011 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Asseff (Post 1661797)
Laurence, Thank you for that info. At least now I know what to get. The only problem is there isn't that many choices. Here is one but very pricey Sony SAL-1635Z 16-35mm f/2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss SAL1635Z B&H

Dan

Dan,

The 16-35 f2.8 is a fabulous piece of glass, but if you don't mind giving up a little at the wide end, the SAL-2875Z 28-75mm f2.8 SAM will save you over $1000 (and at you get a little filter and cleaning kit to go along with it too ;-)).

Best,

Bill

Jon Braeley June 26th, 2011 06:11 AM

The reason for the big price difference is that the SAL-2875Z 28-75mm f2.8 is not Zeiss.

Using A-mounts - Alpha lenses I am told the auto-focus when it does work is very very slow.... which really makes it impossible to use for video.

Auto focus does not work on the Sigma A-mount. But I never shoot in AF anyway. At $670 for the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 its a great deal.

Dan Asseff June 26th, 2011 11:50 AM

Jon, I had a suspicion that those lens wouldn't work. The only lens I have seen is the kit lens that focus slow. Here is an example some one did. Sony NEX-FS100 Automatic Focus Test - Sony NEX-FS100 Super 35mm User Group on Vimeo I think that the Carl Zeiss
lens would in theory be a lot faster being a 2.8, correct if i'm wrong. Bill, I need wider lens for wedding work. That is the main reason I need auto focus to. I don't do a lot of doc work where you always manual focus, I am more a run and gun shooter. But for reception were it is really dark I could get away with manual focus lens were it would be hunting to focus anyway. Decisions decisions.

Dan

Shawn Sutherland July 31st, 2011 06:33 AM

Lens options for FS100 on a Steadicam

Hi guys.

I operate a Steadicam with an NEX-FS100 camera, and I need to find a non-extruding zoom lens. As you all know, balance is everything with Steadicam. I can't have a lens extruding forward every time I want to do a telephoto shot. It would completely throw off the balance, and force me to reconfigure the sled for every shot. Highly impractical at best.

I also need a wide angle of at least 18mm, auto focus, auto iris, and a reasonable zoom range.

It would be nice if this were available as an E-mount option, but I won't get my hopes up just yet.

I'm not above using an adapter if I have to.

What do you suggest.

Matteo Geer August 1st, 2011 12:37 PM

How about this lens:

Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM Zoom For Sony D-SLRs

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/622374-REG/Sigma_861205_18_50mm_f_2_8_4_5_DC_OS.html

Dan Asseff August 1st, 2011 01:41 PM

The only problem is they are not auto focus. The sad truth is the only auto focus are the E-mount lens. The 18-55 Sony E-mount would be your best bet in my opinion. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/695868-REG/Sony_SEL1855_SEL_1855_18_55mm_f_3_5_5_6.htmlDan

Steve Kalle August 4th, 2011 04:51 PM

Hey guys,

On August 23rd or 24th, Sony will be announcing 3 new NEX lenses: Zeiss 20mm/1.8 ($999), 50mm 1.8 with OSS ($349) and 55-210 f4-6.3 with OSS plus a new Sony Alpha lens - 16-50 f2.8 ($799). Sony is also announcing the A65, A77 and NEX-7 (a Pro version) - all 24MP and using the AVCHD 2.0 standard which records at 28Mb/s - as well as a new VG-20 video camera with more manual controls.

There will also be a new LA-EA2 adapter allowing Alpha lenses to be used on the FS100 with very FAST AF speed similar to what you get on a current Alpha SLT camera.

FYI, Sony usually announces in the summer and releases for sale in October.