DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   35 mm lenses for Sony NEX-FS100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/497365-35-mm-lenses-sony-nex-fs100.html)

Walter Uhrik June 19th, 2011 10:03 AM

35 mm lenses for Sony NEX-FS100

Hallo,
I will have my Sony FS100 in few days and I am thinking about buying DigiOptical 18-50mm for it. Does anybody have an experience with this lens?

Jon Braeley June 20th, 2011 05:39 AM

Re: 35 mm lenses for Sony NEX-FS100

This looks like a great lens and if you check out the Red forums I see a few guys using this on Reds.

But I decide to only use lenses that can take my variable ND filter - did you check the filter size for this lens?

I am not a big fan of matteboxes as I am a doc maker and need to be fast and portable. So I am looking at mainly still lenses due to this - probably zeiss or the sigma zooms.

Pedro I. Vazquez June 20th, 2011 10:06 AM

im also checking the DigiOptical 18-50mm , which zeiss PL lenses you guys can recommend i know there are some, but which one you consider to be a most have??

Brian Drysdale June 20th, 2011 10:23 AM

Depends which Zeiss lens range you're thinking about, but you could make a movie with the 28mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm Compact Primes and they're all T2.1. You could go wider, but you're losing max aperture and unless you want the other advantages of prime lenses over zooms (like much less or no breathing while adjusting focus) you could use your zoom for the shorter focal lengths.

Pedro I. Vazquez June 20th, 2011 12:38 PM

thanks for the info Brian, much appreciated.

Jon Braeley June 20th, 2011 01:24 PM

This may sound crazy but I am sure you would find it tough to see the difference with a Sigma lens, say
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689618-REG/Sigma_583205_17_50mm_F2_8_EX_DC.html
I have seen great results from these lenses. I have Canon L glass but the Sigma and the Tokina always look just as good - maybe not as rugged but good image never the less.

Brian Drysdale June 20th, 2011 02:05 PM

The DigiOptical is basically the old RED zoom, which was based on a Sigma lens.

Dan Asseff June 20th, 2011 04:12 PM

Does the A mount work with the FS100 like the E mounts do? I have not heard of any one yet that has actually used it on the FS100. Any one.

Dan

Brian Drysdale June 21st, 2011 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedro I. Vazquez (Post 1659909)
im also checking the DigiOptical 18-50mm , which zeiss PL lenses you guys can recommend i know there are some, but which one you consider to be a most have??

You could also check out these modified Zeiss lenses : zf

Downside is you won't have the long focus throw of the full cine lens.

Walter Uhrik June 21st, 2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Braeley (Post 1659853)
This looks like a great lens and if you check out the Red forums I see a few guys using this on Reds.

But I decide to only use lenses that can take my variable ND filter - did you check the filter size for this lens?

I am not a big fan of matteboxes as I am a doc maker and need to be fast and portable. So I am looking at mainly still lenses due to this - probably zeiss or the sigma zooms.

Thanks for reply. As far as I know from guys at B&H there is no filter thread, you must use a matte-box of course. For my kind of work it is not a problem.

Jon Braeley June 21st, 2011 10:26 AM

If you wish to use a variable ND filter with the FS-100 then using lenses with a 77mm filter size is a must in my view - and this is what i want to do. I have matteboxes but for my work they are tough to use.

This limits my lens selection only a little though. Sure cinema lenses are out but they are not optically better than top class stills lenses anyway.

Brian Drysdale June 21st, 2011 11:03 AM

With stills lenses you have a limited range of parfocal zooms available, these are much more useful for video work than varifocal lenses, which require refocusing when you change the focal length. It really depends on what you're shooting, but for fast moving documentary work a parfocal lens makes sense.

It's the mechanics which is the important difference between stills and cine lenses, although the older manual stills lenses have been modified for use on cine cameras for many years. I wouldn't say the best cinema lenses aren't better than the best stills lenses, they've got different optics and they tend to be at their best at the wider apertures and have a lot of attention paid to avoiding breathing when the focus is adjusted. They also have individually calibrated focus scales.

Stills lenses will give you sharp images, but they are a compromise for video work.