35 mm lenses for Sony NEX-FS100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old June 19th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #1
New Boot

35 mm lenses for Sony NEX-FS100

Hallo,
I will have my Sony FS100 in few days and I am thinking about buying DigiOptical 18-50mm for it. Does anybody have an experience with this lens?
Walter Uhrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: 35 mm lenses for Sony NEX-FS100

This looks like a great lens and if you check out the Red forums I see a few guys using this on Reds.

But I decide to only use lenses that can take my variable ND filter - did you check the filter size for this lens?

I am not a big fan of matteboxes as I am a doc maker and need to be fast and portable. So I am looking at mainly still lenses due to this - probably zeiss or the sigma zooms.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #3
New Boot

im also checking the DigiOptical 18-50mm , which zeiss PL lenses you guys can recommend i know there are some, but which one you consider to be a most have??
Pedro I. Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Depends which Zeiss lens range you're thinking about, but you could make a movie with the 28mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm Compact Primes and they're all T2.1. You could go wider, but you're losing max aperture and unless you want the other advantages of prime lenses over zooms (like much less or no breathing while adjusting focus) you could use your zoom for the shorter focal lengths.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #5
New Boot

thanks for the info Brian, much appreciated.
Pedro I. Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #6
Major Player

This may sound crazy but I am sure you would find it tough to see the difference with a Sigma lens, say
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689618-REG/Sigma_583205_17_50mm_F2_8_EX_DC.html
I have seen great results from these lenses. I have Canon L glass but the Sigma and the Tokina always look just as good - maybe not as rugged but good image never the less.
Old June 20th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The DigiOptical is basically the old RED zoom, which was based on a Sigma lens.
Old June 20th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #8
Major Player

Does the A mount work with the FS100 like the E mounts do? I have not heard of any one yet that has actually used it on the FS100. Any one.

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:47 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro I. Vazquez View Post
im also checking the DigiOptical 18-50mm , which zeiss PL lenses you guys can recommend i know there are some, but which one you consider to be a most have??
You could also check out these modified Zeiss lenses : zf

Downside is you won't have the long focus throw of the full cine lens.
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:15 AM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
This looks like a great lens and if you check out the Red forums I see a few guys using this on Reds.

But I decide to only use lenses that can take my variable ND filter - did you check the filter size for this lens?

I am not a big fan of matteboxes as I am a doc maker and need to be fast and portable. So I am looking at mainly still lenses due to this - probably zeiss or the sigma zooms.
Thanks for reply. As far as I know from guys at B&H there is no filter thread, you must use a matte-box of course. For my kind of work it is not a problem.
Walter Uhrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 10:26 AM   #11
Major Player

If you wish to use a variable ND filter with the FS-100 then using lenses with a 77mm filter size is a must in my view - and this is what i want to do. I have matteboxes but for my work they are tough to use.

This limits my lens selection only a little though. Sure cinema lenses are out but they are not optically better than top class stills lenses anyway.
Old June 21st, 2011, 11:03 AM   #12
Inner Circle

With stills lenses you have a limited range of parfocal zooms available, these are much more useful for video work than varifocal lenses, which require refocusing when you change the focal length. It really depends on what you're shooting, but for fast moving documentary work a parfocal lens makes sense.

It's the mechanics which is the important difference between stills and cine lenses, although the older manual stills lenses have been modified for use on cine cameras for many years. I wouldn't say the best cinema lenses aren't better than the best stills lenses, they've got different optics and they tend to be at their best at the wider apertures and have a lot of attention paid to avoiding breathing when the focus is adjusted. They also have individually calibrated focus scales.

Stills lenses will give you sharp images, but they are a compromise for video work.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta