DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Is the FS100 an upgrade from the EX1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/497846-fs100-upgrade-ex1.html)

Paul Cascio June 29th, 2011 02:42 PM

Is the FS100 an upgrade from the EX1?

Would you consider the FS100 an upgrade from the EX1? In what way? Is the EX1 better in any way?

Brian Drysdale June 29th, 2011 03:07 PM

re: Is the FS100 an upgrade from the EX1?

Some what apples and oranges... I guess the resolution is better with the EX1 and you've also got a more compact zoom lens on that camera.

Les Wilson June 29th, 2011 03:26 PM

re: Is the FS100 an upgrade from the EX1?

The EX1r is an upgrade to the EX1. I think the FS100 is a companion or alternative depending on what it is you produce.

If I had an EX1 for all the things it's good at, I would not replace it with an FS100 unless I was changing over to filmmaking. For me, I chose to add to my EX1r with a 5Dm2 over an FS100 because I needed a stills camera as well as a b-camera and the 5DM2 fits the bill nicely and takes little space. Also, sDOF is a special effect for me, not the main thing. YMMV

That said, the FS100 would arguably be an upgrade in the sense that it probably has some nice modern features lacking in the older EX1 yet it lacks built-in ND filters... but that's not what I think you are asking.

David Heath June 29th, 2011 04:08 PM

Re: Is the FS100 an upgrade from the EX1?

Yes to what Brian says - apples and oranges. Is buying an estate car an upgrade over having a small sports car?

If you often want to transport a lot of luggage, the answer is yes - if you don't, and value performance, it's a big no. No simple answer.

The real way it may be seen as an upgrade is in terms of better dof control, and the ability to get shallow dof at wider angles of view. I believe the FS100 also may be better in low light, but in most other respects (sheer image quality, servo zoom lens abilities, codec, etc etc) the EX1R is superior. Also down to matters like zebras - the FS100 has a single setting, the EX1 has dual zebras like most high end cameras.

Paul Cascio June 29th, 2011 07:07 PM

I was wondering if the codec was the same, and how the image quality compares. Thanks.

Louis Maddalena June 29th, 2011 07:22 PM

Same with me... codec isn't going to be a thing to worry about with me as many of my projects will be shot with an external recorder.

Brian Drysdale June 30th, 2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cascio (Post 1663048)
I was wondering if the codec was the same, and how the image quality compares. Thanks.

No, the codec is different, the F3 uses the same codec as the EX1. The FS 100 uses AVCHD like the other NEXCAM cameras.

You really need to look at the various videos shot on the FS100 and make your own decision. It depends on what you want to use the camera for and the images you like to create. The resolution isn't as good as an EX1, but you can shoot in lower light levels and you have a large sensor shallow DOF.

John Mastrogiacomo June 30th, 2011 03:13 AM

The resolution isn't as good as an EX

Please post specific information to back up your statement.
Thank you.

Matt Davis June 30th, 2011 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cascio (Post 1662981)
Is the EX1 better in any way?

Well, I have an FS100, an EX1R and an EX1. I've got a couple of jobs done on the FS100 - the last one was edited with EX1 footage too.

The FS100 is a replacement for a DSLR that's only used for video. It's a video camera that can use Stills glass. There are challenges to doing this: stills zooms are not par-focal (focus changes whilst you zoom) and they breathe quite a bit (change focal length as you focus). Their focus throw is short, and the iris usually has click stops. However, they cost a 10th of broadcast lenses and go wider, longer and weirder than the built-in lens of the EX1.

The EX1 lens distorts at the wide end, has chromatic aberration that gets bad at the long end, but has optical image stabilisation, focus assist and a useful range that covers three stills lenses, leaving you a lot less to worry about.

My EX1s are useful for conference records, multicam, hectic run and gun shoots where I need to be self contained and travel light. The FS100 is pure canine genitalia when it comes to 'Talking Heads', beauty shots, GVs

I used to be happy with the EX1 picture, but it now looks noisy and a bit nitpicky (almost too much detail?) in comparison to the FS100's 'effortless' image.

I've not had any codec issues with AVCHD yet. I've stressed the EX1 codec at 1080p, and was more comfortable with it being a 720p camera (more bandwidth devoted to less pixels). I'd seen earlier cameras' AVCHD and wasn't impressed, but the FS100 implementation seems very much up to the job.

The bottom line is that my clients were ecstatic when the EX1 replaced the Z1. They are now equally impressed by the FS100. They don't know the technical details, but the pictures are enough to prompt desire.

Furthermore, my niche of the corporate world suits FS100 over 5D sort of stuff as it's a little more video-like.

Brian Drysdale June 30th, 2011 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mastrogiacomo (Post 1663154)
The resolution isn't as good as an EX

Please post specific information to back up your statement.
Thank you.

A bit of debate went on around the FS100 and the EX1 and a Letus combination, but on most tests the FS100 has less resolution than the F3. I've seen around 770 lines on other people's tests for the FS100,

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-avc...p-bloom-5.html

The EX series are great performers for the money.

Piotr Wozniacki June 30th, 2011 07:40 AM

Confirming everything Matt has said (even though I do not have the FS100 yet), I'd add that the slightly lower resolution of the FS100 (as pointed out by Brian) is much less noticeable than the considerably higher noise of the EX1 - with or without the Letus...

That said, I will not swap my EX1 for the FS100 - if I cannot afford the latter as a B camera, I'll stay with the EX1 (my signature says it all :-)).

Brian Drysdale June 30th, 2011 07:46 AM

Yes, the image quality is a combination of factors and the FS100 seems to be a very capable camera for the money.

Matt Davis June 30th, 2011 08:18 AM

Just thought of something else.

I do run and gun on corporate events. At the moment, the FS100 is a little bit of a handful where the EX1 is absolute delight (comparatively speaking - remember the cries of 'horrible ergonmics!' when it first came out?).

The FS100 will need more accessorisation than an EX1, this may be important to you. Handles and viewfinders, rods and filters, even external recorders (will be doing a test with a Ninja soon). The EX1 is a small hand held unit, whereas the FS100 will need a goody-bag and a short period of assembly prior to shooting.

I mentioned stills glass, but I do need to rant a bit about the EX1's lens, which has faults (ye gods, some horrors) but is actually pretty stupendous for Run and Gun.

Specifically, Image Stabilisation is lens-based on the FS100. I've tried using Sony's 'kit' lens, bought specifically for long focal length range, image stabilisation and auto focus, and it's going to go on ebay. I'd prefer to spend $600 on the Birger mount and use my Canon IS lenses.

The Sony lens's focusing (in 'manual' mode) is like focusing with a zoom control, and if you switch to auto, you can't 'help' the lens if it begins to drift. The extra two stops of exposure you inherit with the FS100's sensitivity are taken away again by the lens, so in stage lighting you may actually need gain.

The two cameras CAN cut together, so it's very nice to have both!

Piotr Wozniacki June 30th, 2011 10:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Matt,

Since you own both the EX1 and FS100, I'll appreciate your advise. Looking at the pics of my current shoulder-support rig, do you think it would work with the FS100 replacing the EX1, without any major modifications (apart from probably making it shorter, depending on the lens used)? Of course, I realize I'll have to put my Marshall monitor on the left handle -before I'm able to fork $1,000 for the Zacuto EVF ...

Matt Davis June 30th, 2011 10:57 AM

I'd imagine one could make up an adaptor to take power from the rear battery to an 'empty' NP-F battery, so you can enjoy the counterbalance effect as well as probably near infinite run times with a V-Lok!

There's the temptation to push the camera body further towards your shoulder as the unit will become nose heavy with photo glass in addition to your matte box, and faster lenses tend to be longer. That's where the EVF would be handy, especially on a Noga Arm.

I have a Striker (well, the version before it was called a striker but I digress), and the benefit came from placing the supporting right hand UNDER the camera rather than having a grip either side. Your left hand is so busy with buttons and lens twiddles, let alone needing to find a spare digit to actually press one of the start buttons (I like the one under the side grip near the FMU). I'll cajole my wife into taking a snap of me with it, but suffice to say I think it would favour the south-pawed amongst us.

Can you skooch the right hand grip closer to the CoG so you're supporting most of the weight there? Even under the lens? Also, somebody (Olof?) needs to make a nice looking yet cost effective upper handle, as the mic mount is handy and well balanced but feels like picking a puppy up by the scruff of its neck. Fine if you're a puppy, but not an overweight but lovable labrador. As these rigs invariably become.