AJA Ki Pro Mini does not work with FS100! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old July 9th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

AJA Ki Pro Mini does not work with FS100!

I have rented a Ki Pro Mini for a film shoot the upcoming week.

To my frustration the AJA does not work with HDMI from the FS100!

No matter how I set output on the camera and input on the AJA, the AJA cant recognize the data from the FS100.
I have tried 3 different HDMI cables and the output from the camera works with 2 different monitor’s.
The AJA can see a signal but can´t recognize it as a video signal.

Anyone have tried the combination AJA Ki Pro Mini and a pal FS100, with any luck?
Brian Bang Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: AJA Ki Pro Mini does not work with FS100!

This is disapointing because I was going to buy a Ki Pro Mini for use with the FS100. If nobody here has an answer check at the ki pro forum... people from AJA hang out of there.
Old July 9th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Major Player

I myself prefer that this post remain in the FS100 forum, and not be transferred. There are a lot of posts like this about the FS100 that could be placed in other forums but I would like to see them here, since they are all hot, new topics. I am not sure how the moderators see things. It would be nice if a thread could appear in more than one forum at a time. Just a thought.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #4
AJA

Brian B.J. - I would sincerely suggest that you contact AJA Technical Support on Monday for assistance configuring the camera and the Ki Pro Mini. AJA has a Sony FS100, and when the output is configured to produce 1080i 29.97, it works fine with the Ki Pro and Ki Pro Mini products; in fact AJA demoed this very combination at NAB.

As a side note... can I suggest not entitling a post "X does not work with X!" unless you receive that information from the manufacturer? It tends to lead to rumors and a lot of grief that could otherwise be avoided...

Hope this is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Jon Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Major Player

What format are you trying to feed it? (frame rate/frame size/interlace-progressive?)
Old July 14th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Just back from the film shoot.

We gave up on the AJA and time to contact AJA for support simply does not exist.

As it was a rented unit there were only a few hours to set it up. We were shooting on a PAL FS100 in 1080 25P. The AJA would not accept the signal from the camera.
The unit is now send back to the rental house and I can not investigate further. Has anyone else used the AJA with a PAL FS100?

Jon Thorn wrote
”AJA has a Sony FS100, and when the output is configured to produce 1080i 29.97, it works fine with the Ki Pro and Ki Pro Mini products; in fact AJA demoed this very combination at NAB.”

As I have already said. We are using a PAL FS100. The PAL FS100 does not work in 29.97..!!

Another thing I bought the FS100 for low budget film work. Shooting interlaced is not an option.
From my point of view the AJA does not work with this camera in PAL mode.

Maybe there is an solution. There were not much help to find in the user manual, and what should have been plug and play simply failed to work.

I know I maybe should have posted in the AJA forum but most FS100 users are in here.
Old July 14th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bang Jensen View Post
Just back from the film shoot.

We gave up on the AJA and time to contact AJA for support simply does not exist.

From my point of view the AJA does not work with this camera in PAL mode.

I know I maybe should have posted in the AJA forum but most FS100 users are in here.

You had lots of time to type in here...AJA isn't some huge company where you'll sit on hold with tech support for an hour or something...

The KiPro had a driver update in February of 2010 which added support for 1080p24, 25, etc... I don't know what the issue is with the camera you're using, but I still think a call to AJA, and possibly asking the rental house if the device's drivers had been up-to-date would have been effort better allocated.

Not to mention...if the rental house sent out the rig without knowing the camera doesn't work with the device, they might want to call AJA too. A little knowledge on their part could have either solved your problem or headed it off altogether.
Old July 15th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Received the unit by post Saturday afternoon.

Tried to set it up. It failed. No one to call at the rental house in the weekend!

Posted in here to see if someone had any luck with the same combination in PAL land!!

Not at home Sunday.
Of to location Monday morning, shooting trough the day and night until Tuesday morning at 6 am.
A few hours sleep, and 20 hours shooting again.

Maybe you, in my calender, can point out the spare time I had to use the phone or internet!!
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #9
Trustee

I've got a KiPro to record from FS100. Just got it working - not exactly 'obvious' but there is a forehead-slap involved.

Firstly, AJA's Tech Support report that 'Only 1080i is supported'. That's important, and actually, I've known that to be true for some time when working with material recorded from KiPro from all sorts of sources on large events. It's not an FS100 gotcha, just the nature of the beast.

Secondly, the magic happens in the REC/OUT menu under VIDEO OUT. Even if you set 1080i in the 'REC SET' settings, the all important critical HDMI output is only set in the 'VIDEO OUT' portion of the menu.

In REC/OUT SET, select VIDEO OUT and select HDMI/COMPONENT - set it to 1080i/576i. You can also set your HDMI/COMPONENT to 720p50

Before cracking the above, I did upgrade the KiPro OS from v1.0.1.17 to v2.0.0.125 - but I bet (heavily) that this wasn't the magic bullet and the above settings would have worked on the original OS version.

One thing to note: no matter which mode I set the camera in (50p, 25p, 50i) I get 'mouse teeth' artifacts in 1080i mode (to a chorus of 'Duh! Of course it would!') but it does NOT work if I swtich the 1.1 Menu from Normal to PsF, which is a shame. PsF was, I thought, a way of recording 25p in a 50i wrapper.

Now, as the 'mouse teeth' interlace mode creates horrible, horrible artifacts if you scale before DEINTERLACING, and that DEINTERLACING reduces your resolution by (at best) 25% if you do it right and 50% if you don't, I would hope that there is a way of doing PSF properly with 1080i inputs in the future.

The 720p50 mode does progressive from 1080i, 1080p25 and 1080p50 just fine, btw - but it's 720p.

Anyway - back to work...
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:02 AM   #10
Trustee

Yet another reason why the nanoFlash is the best way to go.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta