FS-100 greenscreening at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old July 12th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #1
Major Player

FS-100 greenscreening

I've got a shoot coming up that will be talking heads, shot on a greenscreen, and then later I will key them into 'white limbo'. Last time I did greenscreen was with DV and it was a royal pain getting even decent results (I know, DV sucks for greenscreen, but it's what I had.) I am wondering how the AVCHD footage from the FS-100 holds up for keying, I do not have an external recorder yet, and am wondering if anyone has done this yet. It seems to me, that if I shoot at 1080p, the web version (which is where the client wants the final product) should look better as the downrezzing may hide some of the ugly edges. As well, I would think the 4:2:0 progressive video would be a little better than the 4:1:1
interlaced that I keyed with last time. Anyone done any greenscreen shoots with the FS-100 with the built in codec??
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: FS-100 greenscreening

this is something im planning also to do in the near future, very interested in knowing your results. so keep us posted.
Pedro I. Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: FS-100 greenscreening

No matter the camera 4:2:0 should key fine even with the avchd codec. Did years of GS work with a panny hmc150. The company I sold that camera to still uses it for all their GS work and that's the core of their business.

As it has been said a million times before, the real trick with pulling good keys is the lighting. Get that right and even dv works just fine. 1080 30p will be a breeze.

I also use Primatte Keyer suite which has a lot of tools to aid in the process but I find since building my own studio and putting a lot of time tweaking the lighting, I only need a few clicks to get awesome keys.
I see a lot of footage that the lighting is off and the tools the Keyer suite has helped a bunch.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta