Mounting plate for FS100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old July 17th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Mounting plate for FS100

I just came across this and thought it looks interesting. It look like the race is on to make accessory for our camera. Sony NEX FS-100 Accessory Mounting Plate | | Berkey System

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Mounting plate for FS100

I saw this last week and spoke to my local machine shop just 3 blocks away. They can make me a plate identical with the same tapped holes and threads for about $35. Anodising or even nickel chroming the plate is another $20 extra.
So I am not sure how you arrive at $250 for this plate especially when they will manufacture this in larger quantities. Seems a little pricy to me.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Jon, When you have one made,make one for me. You probably could get a decent order up here on the FS100 forum. I was mainly happy to see products being made for our camera. Thanks for the heads up.

Dan
Old July 19th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #4
Major Player

I agree that we all need accessories to follow our big purchases - but they have to get the pricing realistic. A simple three inch square metal plate with threaded holes should not be $250. Giving the piece of metal a fancy name should not hike the price up by 400%.

I buy into these sometimes - and end up kicking myself, especially with all the DSLR accessories that came out. I am much more careful now.
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #5
New Boot

have to agree that berkey system plate is to overpriced, just for a plate..
Pedro I. Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #6
Major Player

I just saw they are a sponsor here, so maybe they will see this thread and take notice what the consumer thinks. The plate does look well made though.

Dan
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #7
Major Player

Costs are definitely linked to the tolerances to which the product is made. Not sure how tight the tolerances have to be for this, but going to a local machine shop without specifying the tolerances you need, you may end up with some issues. Give it a try.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #8
Major Player

Well put it this way.
I took my shoulder rig into my local machine shop a few weeks back. I need some three-eights threaded holes and quarter threaded holes adding to some extra clamps so that I could add my Tascam and weights to the rear and provide balance. All in all it was four new threaded holes and some cutting of extra half-inch rods, some polishing of ends etc etc ... came out great. I was charged $25.00.

I agree that Berkey system gear is very well made, so with that in mind you take your choice.
Old July 19th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #9
Major Player

Jon,

Could you show us a picture of your rig.

Dan
Old July 20th, 2011, 05:31 AM   #10
Major Player

I shipped my rig and a load of other stuff out to Beijing last week. I am moving there for a year or two while I work on two films. I may have a pic of me using this on location but not with the FS-100 yet.

I am not a lover of loading up on rigs to look like christmas trees... I like light but balanced. I dislike matte boxes as they add weight at the front of rigs where you don't want it. So I never use one except for tripod work.
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:00 AM   #11
Inner Circle

May be too expensive for many people, but one pro cameraman is now having these manufactured for sale:

machine
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta