DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Power sources... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/499790-power-sources.html)

Piotr Wozniacki August 20th, 2011 09:20 AM

Power sources...

I'm after power sources for my FS100 and nanoFlash, and cannot make up my mind which is better:

- to use separate sources (a 770 or 970 battery for the camera, one of the rechargeable battery packs from nanoflash.net for the nF), or

- to use a single power source, like this battery from Swit:

S-8972 DV Battery with DC Output for Sony NP-F970/770

Anyone using the latter? Is it possible to plug the connector in/out without removing the battery from camera?

Piotr

Dan Asseff August 20th, 2011 09:47 AM

Re: Power sources...

Piotr,

I have that battery and it went bad on me after two years. I would stick with Sony brand all the way. It is a great idea though, I used it with the Switt light.
Dan

Piotr Wozniacki August 20th, 2011 10:14 AM

Thanks for the answer, Dan.

You must have been unlucky, as Swit generally are good products (I'm using 2 long 96 Wh batteries with my EX1 and nanoFlash with no probs).

Could you please address my specific question on the external power socket accessibility without removing the battery from the FS100 compartment?

Thanks,

Piotr

Dan Asseff August 20th, 2011 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go. I had to dig it out my closet.
Dan

Piotr Wozniacki August 20th, 2011 11:10 AM

Thanks again, Dan - this is exactly the picture I wanted :)

Sorry for troubling you!

Piotr

PS. May I know how exactly your Swit battery went wrong?

PSPS Dan,, please forgive me again, but actually I'm not 100% certain the right angle plug can be inserted/taken out without removing the battery from its compartment first - could you please check it for me?

Dan Asseff August 20th, 2011 11:47 AM

No problem at all, it made me email them to see if I could get a new one. So thank you. The plug comes out ok but the card slot needs to be open to take it out. I was using the Switt LED lights plug in the picture. I really don't think you will have a problem. The problem with the battery is it will not charge or work the camera or the light. The check light says it has two bars but it doesn't work or charge. Hope this works for you.
Dan

Cees van Kempen December 5th, 2011 03:59 PM

Piotr, Did you start working with the Swit battery. Dan, did you continue so after replacement?
Maybe one of you can tell me if it really works with the nano and how long operation time of the nano/FS100 combination is.

Thanks, Cees

Dan Asseff December 6th, 2011 06:45 AM

Cees,

I never got the replacement. I would say it would last as long as the sony would. But remember you would be running two things on it.

Dan

Piotr Wozniacki December 6th, 2011 09:10 AM

Dear Cees,

Yes I do have this battery, but frankly haven't got the time and motivation yet to devise a proper cable for feeding the nanoFlash from it (I'm using the nano only with my full-blown rig, and this includes a PAG 12V battery).

When I do have the right cable, I'll report back in this thread :)

Piotr

Piotr Wozniacki August 3rd, 2012 04:12 AM

Hi Dan,

Are you still using the SWIT battery for powering both your FS100 and the nanoFlash? I am, and everything has been OK so far, but I've just noticed a strange behavior and wanted to ask you (or anyone using it) whether it's the same with theirs...

Namely, I've noticed that when a power cable is connected to the battery, but not to my nanoFlash (open at the other end) - the charge testing LEDs don't work properly; when I push the button they just blink for split second and go off. The battery is fully charged however - when put into my FS100, it shows 100% charge level!

Please try to recreate that, because I'm loosing confidence in my SWIT...

Dan Asseff August 3rd, 2012 06:29 AM

Piotr,

Unfortunately my switt battery went haywire and won't let me charge it anymore. I loved how I could use the switt light with no extra battery. I thought about getting another one but I use a different LED light now.

Dan