DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   LCD trick (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/500053-lcd-trick.html)

Dan Asseff August 27th, 2011 08:47 AM

LCD trick

I just discovered that the notch where the LCD and loop meet is for the handle to go to stabilize it form moving. I didn't even have to tighten the thumb screw on the side and it was very stable.
Dan

Piotr Wozniacki August 27th, 2011 09:33 AM

Re: LCD trick

Yeah... What a pity though that in this configuration, both upper 1/4 holes are inaccessible (as are the many bottom ones with a large tripod plate attached)... Plus, the upper cold shoe is useless, too, when the loupe is up.

Still looking for a good mounting point for my nanoFlash when hand-held; with the said thread holes covered, and cold shoe conflicting with the VF loupe opening, there are no too many options left - a good bottom plate like Olof's (for the EX1) is the only solution I can think of.

Piotr

Galen Rath August 27th, 2011 02:00 PM

It will be a while before I can see how that works Dan, but anything at all in this regard is certainly good news, one less Micky Mouse feature to deal with. As for the threaded studs available, I am also disappointed from the impression I got from the videos from NAB2011, it sounded like there were gobs and gobs of attachment points, almost overkill, but in fact there are no more accessible attachment points that any other camera I have owned.

Dan Asseff August 27th, 2011 02:37 PM

I think that there needs to be more accessories for this camera. I like the plate that Berky company makes but it needs to be more like $100.00 to be something I would buy. I understand they have r and d but I think they would sell double the amount they are presently selling at. There is nice ideas on there site for our camera. Sony NEX FS-100 Accessory Mounting Plate | | Berkey System

Galen, one more post and your a major player.

Dan

Piotr Wozniacki August 27th, 2011 02:43 PM

Yep, the Berkey top plate is great - but way too expensive. And it's just the beginning of even more expenditures - you need to buy something to make use of all these holes the plate offers you :)

Dan Asseff August 27th, 2011 03:28 PM

Piotr, How true, how true. I also did a test with the LCD laying flat and attaching the loop to it. There is not much difference of the loop angle, plus all the mounts are open. The only draw back is getting to the controls under the LCD which you can still do. Just playing around.

Dan

Piotr Wozniacki August 27th, 2011 03:44 PM

Dan, I must admit I don't quite follow what you mean - could you elaborate, or post a picture?

I know that when I ask you to post pictures, you are going to find some good side of this effort :)

Piotr

Dan Asseff August 27th, 2011 04:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Piotr, no problem.

Piotr Wozniacki August 27th, 2011 04:27 PM

Thanks Dan; your first idea (now in the right picture) I grasped immediately from your first post, as it really can be useful to prevent unwanted movements of the loupe. The second one (on the left picture) doesn't make much sense imho (other than exposing the mounting points), hence I didn't know what you meant until you posted the pictures...

Anyway, this little camera is such a great toy; keep uncovering its hidden configuration possibilities and hopefully we won't need to spend hundreds on additional plates and stuff :)

Galen Rath August 28th, 2011 05:43 AM

As for another mounting point, one thing I have tried is installing the handle/microphone holder in the 1/4" hole that the side grip fits into. However, using a heavier shotgun mic than stock, I am having trouble getting the assembly tight enough so it doesn't rotate out of position.

Thanks Dan,for the note about becoming a major player, I would have missed it. Took me six years!

Dan Asseff August 28th, 2011 01:03 PM

What about using a cheese plate like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673488-REG/Redrock_Micro_332_CP_microSupport_Cheeseplate.html to do the same thing that the Berkey plate does.

Dan

Piotr Wozniacki August 28th, 2011 01:29 PM

Actually Dan, I've got one with my RR microshouldermount (using it for attaching my large battery / counterbalance, but that can be rearranged easily)... Will give it a try and report back.

The only drawback I can see even without trying to attach is that it could only be fixed with 2 screws, while the Berkey uses 3; it's also unnecessarily wide (or long, depending on how you attach it).

Didn't I say asking you for ideas will bring fruits?

;-)

Piotr