Nikon & Sony 18-200mm comparison on the FS100 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old September 18th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: Nikon & Sony 18-200mm comparison on the FS100

"I do not see Canon bringing out their own video camera to take EF-EOS lenses (stupid decision)"

The canon announcement is what I was referring to - rumor being a 35mm sensor body only video cam for EOS lenses. I doubt it.

I understand the one lens concept and say, for the 2/3rd Red scarlet it makes sense - the fixed lens is the way to go (however it is a great lens and fixed apperture). As a doc maker myself this makes sense but for the FS-100... no sense at all on a super 35mm sensor. Using a zoom like the 18-200 will just make you lazy and stay in the "just good enough" category. Thats fine for journalism maybe but when you have 19 year old kids taking delivery of $50k Red Epics (see Red forum) then your competition is steamrolling you over. You can bet they will be producing amazing images.

How will you set yourself apart? The huge advantage with the FS-100 is the 'cheap' still lens primes available - glass as good as many cinema lenses. Not using them puts you in the disadvantaged category.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #32
Trustee

Jon,
I'm waiting impatiently for a job where I can use my primes. The few shoots I've done with the fs100, have been quick, and I haven't felt comfortable enough yet. But I do a lot of practicing at home with the primes and will be using them real soon.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
"I do not see Canon bringing out their own video camera to take EF-EOS lenses (stupid decision)"

The canon announcement is what I was referring to - rumor being a 35mm sensor body only video cam for EOS lenses. I doubt it.

I understand the one lens concept and say, for the 2/3rd Red scarlet it makes sense - the fixed lens is the way to go (however it is a great lens and fixed apperture). As a doc maker myself this makes sense but for the FS-100... no sense at all on a super 35mm sensor. Using a zoom like the 18-200 will just make you lazy and stay in the "just good enough" category. Thats fine for journalism maybe but when you have 19 year old kids taking delivery of $50k Red Epics (see Red forum) then your competition is steamrolling you over. You can bet they will be producing amazing images.

How will you set yourself apart? The huge advantage with the FS-100 is the 'cheap' still lens primes available - glass as good as many cinema lenses. Not using them puts you in the disadvantaged category.
I would laugh myself to sleep if anyone in my market tried to buy a RED
and use it to run a business here. I think there is a reason I am the
only one left doing it as a full time business in my market....you have
to really look at cost/performance and balance it against what kind of
money you can bring in. Luckily I do not run out and buy something
unless it will actually make me more money. Before the FS100, the
only camera I owned was a PD150. Plenty of companies have came
and went since I started, and most times they 'went' because they
spent too much money on the 'toys'...this in a market where you aren't
going to be getting high end jobs. In LA, or even Anchorage,
a RED may make some business sense....but unless I am missing
something huge, it's not going to work in my market.

I'm not in the 'disadvantaged' category, because even the cheap kit
lens generally looks better than the cameras my competition
(the TV stations and some 'weekend warriors') have (1/3 inch or 1/2 inch chips).

But, like I said, I am totally open to lens recommendations, as
I don't know that much about stills glass. A 17-50 F2.8 sounds
like a good lens Jon. I was also thinking about the new Sony
E-mount prime......50mm F1.8 that will be coming out next month
I think. I was thinking about an E mount prime, because with a
prime, how do you change your shot? Moving the camera. So I'd
like to be able to do it handheld, instead of moving a tripod as
well. So if I can have use of the incredible OIS, that would be
sweet. I can shoot handheld at 200mm with the kit lens with
almost no wobble with the OIS on. Not sure about things like
the 70-200 as then I'm looking at having to spend more money on
rails and so on, not sure I want to go there quite yet. I have
to be pretty careful about what I spend, as I said, this is not
a great market for video professionals. Gotta treat it like a
business, not a hobby where I buy what I want.

Last edited by Gabe Strong; September 19th, 2011 at 02:13 AM.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #34
Major Player

does a NON sony lens that has image stabilization built into the lens work with no issues with the FS100? I am also very new to working with a camera (FS100) that has interchangeable lenses. I did purchase the 18-200 kit lens as well as the Sony 16mm. I am always doing a bit of hand held work and having image stabilization is important to me.
Old September 19th, 2011, 05:55 AM   #35
Major Player

Chad,

Only E-mount lens work with the OS and focus. Some A-mount lens work with auto iris. At the moment only E-mount has that option.

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #36
Major Player

So i guess the question is will the Nikon lens mentioned in this thread with VR still work as a stabilizer even though the camera's OS will not? Or any lens with stabilization built into the lens for that matter?
Old September 19th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #37
Major Player

Unfortunately not. The VR function of the Nikon lens does not work on the FS100. Because there's no real connection between the lens and the camera.

I think Gabe has some very good points. I know this camera would benefit from using prime lenses, but this camera also delivers fantastic footage with 'just' the stock lens. I've owned a lot of camera's and worked with many others and this camera just delivers a certain look that's appealing. Also thanks to the modular design I feel like having several camera's with just one FS100. I can modify it for use on a Steadicam, for run 'n gun and for film. Having a camera with interchangeable lens system is also a big plus over the EX1(R). I'm not so happy with the wide converters and barrel distortion you get with them when you want to go wider with these camera's. It's also nice to know you have a camera that has a lot more potential to it, just waiting for you to use it.
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #38
Major Player

I believe some non Sony lenses do work with built in image stabilization - The Sigma for example in A-mount. There is a video test footage around and you can hear the 'wirr' as the IS comes into play. Also the Sigma aperture control works on camera as well.

Of course the Sony A-mounts will work. The control that is an issue is auto-focus.

My previous posts on this topic just point to the fact that there are far more suitable cameras out there for ENG and run and gun journalism - the FS-100 is not the best choice by far. Beside the lens issues try putting the FS-100 on a shoulder rig...not easy.

In fact the GH2 with a small grip or light shoulder rig would be much more ideal for reporting - I take mine everywhere to get those type of shots.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #39
Major Player

I think the new Sony A to E mount is supposed to address the autofocus and
give autofocus to all A mount lenses.....I am waiting to hear exactly
how that works, as that may swing me toward buying those type of lenses.

Darren said it better than I did. The FS100 feels like owning more than
one camera. You can rig it into steadicam mode.....strip it down and
maybe use the 16mm E mount lens...works great on a Merlin. Use it with the
kit lens for fast paced stuff. Use it like you do Jon for docs.
Use it with prime lenses and rails and matte box for narative.
For those of us who don't have the money to own multiple cameras, I
think it is neat that it does a decent job of filling in all the
different cracks. And even with the kit lens, I just think it has
a kind of 'look'....it's different and I really like it.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #40
Major Player

I think the FS100 is an amazing camera for the price and I agree that it is quite versatile. I found the kit lens a bit uncomfortable at first, as I didn't like the continuous focus ring or the clunky iris changes. In fact, my opinion of the camera jumped about 500% when I threw some Nikon glass on it, but that's just my opinion.

This is not to say that I don't think the 18-200 lens is usable, it certainly is, and with some care you can get great images with it. You can't beat the price and it allows you to get out there shooting so that you can earn enough money to get a better lens.
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta