first problems... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old September 14th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #1
Inner Circle

first problems...

My FS100EK developed first faults (or I have only just noticed them):

- there is a slight battery drain when left in camera
- there is single stuck pixel (blue)

Am I the only one?
Old September 14th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: first problems...

The power drain is probably due to the fact that the camera has an internal battery to keep the settings, time/date, etc. If you keep the battery out of the camera for about 3 months I think, the internal battery will be emptied.

As far as the pixel, try doing a black balance and see if that doesn't fix it. If not, I'd consult Sony.
Ryan Creason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The pixel issue could be dust on the sensor. This is pretty common with DSLR cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
My FS100EK developed first faults (or I have only just noticed them):

- there is a slight battery drain when left in camera
- there is single stuck pixel (blue)

Am I the only one?
Keith Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:15 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Creason View Post
As far as the pixel, try doing a black balance and see if that doesn't fix it. If not, I'd consult Sony.
Before I do that, may I ask those knowledgeable how it is done? If a stuck pixel is "mapped" and its missing info provided by the neighboring ones, it must be happening at the expense of some resolution loss, doesn't it?

If this is the case, I'd prefer Sony see the pixel, and replace the sensor...
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #5
Inner Circle

And while we're on it: why does the manual recommend black balancing after each lens change? This is my first exchangeable glass camera, so forgive me this naive question - I'd understand back focus adjustment, but black balancing? Please explain:)
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Anyone can comment on my last question about the need for black-balancing after each lens change?

Also, FYI, I have found that what seemed to be a battery drain by camera, proved to be a faulty battery in my case. This is a “Zoom” brand, 7500 mAh battery and I used to use this brand successfully back in the old days of my V1 camera.

However, I’m having problems with the unit I got; I noticed it was losing juice very quickly in use, but I thought that perhaps a couple full charges would return it to full performance. Unfortunately, the charger that comes with the FS100 never really completes charging it (the yellow charging light never goes off). After almost 12 hours, I tried to check the status in camera, and it shows 100%. But it still discharges really quickly when recording, and quite considerably even with the camera switched off.

Anyone has experience with the "Zoom" NP-F970 replacements?

Piotr
Old September 20th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The black balance is probably just to reset and balance out any pixels that may have picked up a small static charge during the lens change process.

Black balancing at regular intervals is a good way to keep your pixels happy. A stuck pixel is often nothing more than an individual pixel with a higher output level than normal. These can often be corrected by reseting the output gain for that pixel. It could also be the on chip noise reduction that needs resetting. If that does not work then an adjacent pixel would be mapped. Your not going to see a dozen or so mapped out pixels. it's perfectly normal and I would not be at all surprised if almost every sensor out of the factory has a few mapped pixels. Try black balancing a few time and see if your pixel goes away. Sony won't do anything other than advise you to black balance the camera. On a broadcast camera 60 or more mapped pixels would still be "in-spec" and you'd never notice them. You won't normally see hot pixels on an EX1 as I believe the camera looks for them and masks them if necessary every time you turn it on, it's the same on most lower cost pro camcorders.
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:20 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks Alister - as always, very helpful :)

Piotr
Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:25 AM   #9
New Boot

As I understand it from a technician at Macie Video near Boston, setting the black balance on the Sony EX3 is good to also do whenever setting white balance, to reduce/remove a minor green tint in the darkest areas. It might be applicable to the FS100 as well, though he has not worked on one yet.
Chuck Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta