DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   If you own an FS 100....look at this (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/500950-if-you-own-fs-100-look.html)

Gabe Strong September 22nd, 2011 03:28 AM

If you own an FS 100....look at this

This looks REALLY handy for those of us who use a variable
ND filter or any type of screw in filters.....take a look!

Welcome

Derran Rootring September 22nd, 2011 08:50 AM

Re: If you own an FS 100....look at this

Love it!

The only problem I see is that you can accidentally knock your filter off your lens. And it probably gives you vignetting on a wide lens, because attached to the filter you have the filter holder and on your lens the adapter. Other then that I think this is a fantastic product.

Hopefully they will make it for 72mm and 67mm as well soon, because I've never liked working with step rings.

Gabe Strong September 22nd, 2011 09:19 AM

Derran,

I had the same thoughts about vignetting. I think on wide lenses it
probably would have that issue. But the idea is pretty cool.

Jon Braeley September 22nd, 2011 07:48 PM

"frustration of changing filters while clients wait or as the perfect light slips away"....

This quote made me laugh...and the video where they show the big struggle to screw a filter on...yet when they put on their adapter they screwed it on perfectly well - plus they need step down rings which need screwing in.

I am not against the idea... it's fine where you use many filters - grads, warms-cools, polarizers but here's the thing with video...

About 99% of shooters only use ND's - I mean who would bake a 83b or sky grad into a shot nowadays and never so with raw footage where filters do not make sense except for ND's.

So if we are only talking about NDs... why is there a problem? I keep variable ND's on my lens all the time on a bright day and if black clouds loom over I simply turn the ND to off with a tiny touch.

On the Red forum there is a pro doc-sports film maker called Gibby who talks at length about filters and matte boxes... worth listening to him about changing filters during sports action...!

Mark Kenfield September 23rd, 2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Braeley (Post 1684043)
"frustration of changing filters while clients wait or as the perfect light slips away"....

This quote made me laugh...and the video where they show the big struggle to screw a filter on...yet when they put on their adapter they screwed it on perfectly well - plus they need step down rings which need screwing in.

I am not against the idea... it's fine where you use many filters - grads, warms-cools, polarizers but here's the thing with video...

About 99% of shooters only use ND's - I mean who would bake a 83b or sky grad into a shot nowadays and never so with raw footage where filters do not make sense except for ND's.

So if we are only talking about NDs... why is there a problem? I keep variable ND's on my lens all the time on a bright day and if black clouds loom over I simply turn the ND to off with a tiny touch.

On the Red forum there is a pro doc-sports film maker called Gibby who talks at length about filters and matte boxes... worth listening to him about changing filters during sports action...!

Well obviously if you're not a big filter user, then there'd be very little reason to invest in something like this.

But for people who do make considerable use of filters (I'd be one of them), something like this looks well worth the money.

I've used magnetic filters on LED lights, and fell instantly in love with them. I imagine this would be pretty similar - for the Vari-ND, grad-ND and tobacco/sunset filters I like to use, this would make their use considerably more manageable.

Gary Barr September 23rd, 2011 08:40 AM

cool idea, although I'd imagine using with a Vari-ND that it would come off all the time in your hand as you try to turn the filter to alter the ND, no? crap for me as I use it run and gun basically as an iris wheel.