So why should I buy a FS-100? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old October 30th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: So why should I buy a FS-100?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
I am replacing my cameras with the only purpose - to get better image quality, and not because my clients complain, they never do unless you shoot a paid job with an iPhone :), but because I want it, I want better picture, I want better sound, I always want something better than I have :)
and it's been a very long three years that I can't find anything better (I don't want to go over $10K ) than EX1 and 1/5D, I am ready and really want to, but FS-100? no thanks, it has APS-C, but 21Mbs is today's consumer video standard;
so, like guys from the red community say :"remember remember the third of November"
I'm biased. I own an FS100 and LOVE it! I also despise DSLR's for
shooting video. That being said, some use DSLR's, get great results,
and like them, so to each their own. BUT I would say, be careful believing
everything you read online. As an owner, I can tell you the FS100 does NOT shoot
at a maximum bit rate of 21Mbps. It shoots at a maximum bit rate of 28Mbps.
The video quality is VERY good. Clearly stated in the official specs of the camera
in the official sony brochure is the maximum bit rate
of 28 Mbps.....see here:

Sony Product Detail Page NEXFS100U

I can confirm, as an owner that it can shoot 1080 60P video WITH SOUND at 28 Mbps.
Normal bit rate for 24p and 30p is 24 Mbps and it can also shoot in 'lower' bit rates,
although I don't know why you would ever do that. BUT stating that it is 21Mbps
is not true.....not really. It goes higher than that.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 11:39 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Why? Because THIS is so much more impressive than a dSLR with kit lens... <sly wink>

Seriously though... if your specific way of working doesn't support this form factor then don't buy it. For us, it's a no-brainer and we (and more importantly, our CLIENTS) are blown away at the value.
Attached Thumbnails
So why should I buy a FS-100?-img_9950.jpg  
Old October 31st, 2011, 12:01 PM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Since the topic of this thread is the FS100, it has been moved where it belongs (from our 7D forum).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 06:52 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I was hoping to get the perspective from those of us who use 7d's....
Monty Wentzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:38 PM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

If you want to know "why should I buy Camera X" then you should be asking the people who
actually own Camera X, because they're in a much, much better position to tell you why you
should buy it, which is what you said you wanted to know.

If all you really wanted was reassurance from other 7D owners that the 7D is all you need, then
the question should have been "why should I not buy any other camera." I learned the hard way
a long time ago to keep Ford questions in the Ford forum and Chevy questions in the Chevy forum.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:35 PM   #21
Inner Circle

I have and shoot video with a 7d. I also have a F3. Given a choice I will pick the F3 EVERY TIME over the 7d (for video).

I love my 7d but its not a video camera. The F3 (and the FS100) are real video cameras.

So I would ask the same question in reverse. Why continue to use a camera that does video as an add-on and not as its primary purpose?
Old November 1st, 2011, 01:59 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I guess for many of us when the 7d/5d first starting showing us the great image made with the shollow depth of field and large sensor there wasn't any other cameras producing this quality for this price. Some will argue I guess, but at the time bringing the ability to focus and shoot clean low light scenes was ground breaking.

And again for the price point these cameras were unbelieveable. At the time I had a huge 3 chip JVC with an external harddrive that cost $8800.00. This camera could not match the cine look and feel of the 7d. With the three chips and lens it was like looking through a telescope even when at a wide angle.

Fast forward to today and now this same cine look is standard and is offered in some fine "video" cameras.

Excellent audio inputs, longer record times and an even better picture quality.

Just waiting to see what Canon offers this Thursday and we'll start the decision on which camera to get.
Monty Wentzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I have used 5D for two years. I am about to get a FS100 unless there is something new from NAB2012.
I am happy with the 5D quality. But it's still just a camera.

Here is some reasons that make me move back to camcorder (beside the quality and features)
I lost a line of jobs from an advertising company after the first job. Why? because i was using a 5D, they expect tv commercial need video camera to shoot. They have 5D, and even more choices of lens too. And then they notice 5D have the capability to shoot great video, and i have never been called for video production. And I ask them after months, they said, oh yes, we can take the video ourselves.

DSLR is just too common, when i did wedding video, there are 5-10 people using a 5D, and they are just a guest! It also happen to me many times when doing video with 5D at wedding and events, people keep asking me to take a photo for them. Even I insist i am just a videographer, they will insist me to take a picture for them.

If your clients are more corporate side, it is better use a professional camcorder, because it's not something too common that everyone could get one. If your jobs are mainly non-commercial such as wedding, DSLR is enough, even you will be asked to take pictures.
Thomas Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I've been shooting on the 7D and T2i for the past two years. I own my own business in wedding film production but have been shooting alot of commercial gigs as well.

To keep this post short and simple.... It is simply not acceptable to ever ask an actor or company VP to change their clothing because of moire or aliasing you get with a DSLR.

Enough said.
Aaron Almquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #25
Trustee

Thomas,
I've experienced similar situations. Great image on the 7d and 5d, but too many around. They're like flies on shite. I did a lot of shooting with my two 7d's ( only kept one), and hated having to do seperate audio and short record time. I kept one 7d, and use it for some beauty shots, etc. I;m very happy with the FS100, for many reasons. In addition to the great cine look, long record time, other features not found on the dslr's, It looks like a real rig. I went to a gig the other day with the FS100 on my shoulder rig, Zacuto evf and z finder, follow focus, and wireless receiver, and the client was amazed. He said it looked like something out of "Transformers" or the Matrix! The FS100 can shoot as a minimalist rig, or be set up like a big momma pro camera. And whether we like it or not, to most of the clients, "size does matter". Walking in with a rigged out FS100 sets you apart from the guy showing up with his dinky little dslr.
Have fun
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Bruce

Thanks to have the same thought as mine. Yes, Size really matter. Sometimes i think, even i hold a canon XHA1 HDV, people will think I am more professional than holding a DSLR. And you will have more respect as a videographer when using a camcorder.
Thomas Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #27
Trustee

Thomas,
I actually used to shoot with a Canon XLH1, and loved that camera. I also had 2 A1's, because often do multi cam shoots. Then I started using the 7d's more,loved the look, but was frustrated by the limitations. So when I decided to buy the FS100, I sold everything except one of the 7d's ( I also do some photography). After getting the Fs100, I realized that I needed at least one companion camera, so I bought an NX5. I love the way that the FS100 and NX5 match up so well. And no more tape drop outs!!!
I do miss the XLH1 for run and gun. The fS100 is more clunky when you add all then stuff I have, and you have to be constantly tightening and watching little bits. Tonight my frezzi light came loose from the shoe, I lost a tightening knob from the bottom of my follow focus. In other words, there's a lot more to be aware of when you use it for chaotic, run and gun situations. Oh but those beautifull close ups with the blurred background...
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #28
Trustee

Here's the point at which I committed to buy an FS100...

Down with DSLRs! Travelling Matt

I've not been disappointed by the FS100, either.

My clients noticed and appreciated my move from Z1 to EX1, and they've felt the same with the FS100.

I still shoot with the DSLR, and occasionally go out with the EX1s, but as time goes on, it's FS100 all the way.
Old March 24th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Wentzel View Post
I shoot with a 7d and it's so easy. Every camera has issues, but you just work around them and learn to work with it.

It's no longer about quality video, I mean it shoots so good, how much better does it need to get? Sure there are cams that spec out better, but really a good dv tape cam does fine and a 7d/5d does so well...why do I want to spent $6k on a new camera that's not going to make my films any better.

No ones been complaining, if anything they think I shoot with a $50k camera for it to look so good.

Other than the buzz of buying new gear what will I get for spending $4000.00 more than I shoot with now?

I'll buy one if I can be sold on why I should.

Monty
Well! If a sharp picture,no artifacts,no moire,no rolling shutter and ease of audio imput is a factor in what you do,then get the FS-100. It is the bomb as they say! That and you can turn it into "FrankenCamera" as I have. Think Lego on steriods. My rig pictured is set up for both hand held and tripod use. Usually have the "Techni color" setting as the picture profile and bypass the camera,s codec and go HDMI out to an Atomos Ninja set to Apple ProRes HQ.

Stunning!

Matthew Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #30
Inner Circle

@Matt: Cool. A levitating Gumby running boompole! Awesome.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta