S&Q questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Major Player

S&Q questions

I posted this question in another thread, that was talking about the hyperdeck and the fs100. I didn't get any a response. So I figured id start a thread and ask a couple questions.

When using an external recording device, via the hdmi output, does the S&Q function still work the same, or is that only when recording to the card?

Also, I know S&Q won't record to the fmu, but if I record it normally, and transfer to the fmu, using the copy function, will this allow to save S&Q clips over on the fmu?

I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on the fs100. But with canons announcement only a little over a week away, I'm on hold. That, and I'm still a little shy of the money I need for my initial package, that I'm buying. I wasn't going to get the fmu at first, but the new rebate has changed my mind.

Thanks for the replies, I've been saving for a camera for a while now. Was saving for a 5Dii, but decided to wait for the mk iii announcement. Then came along the fs100, and that was just what I was looking for. So I continued to save. Im almost there and ready to get shooting.

Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: S&Q questions

Quote: "Also, I know S&Q won't record to the fmu"

That is not true. You can record S&Q to the FMU, but you cannot record S&Q simultaneously to the internal memory card and the FMU. It has to be one or the other. That is a point I did not make very clear in my FS100 training DVD and I apologize to anyone who has been mislead by the way I explained it. Sorry about that.

As for recording S&Q to an external device, I've never bothered to try, but it would probably depend on the device itself. However, in my opinion, there would be no benefit to recording to an external device anyway even if it can be done. My testing of the FS100's internal recording vs. a NanoFlash at 100Mbps has shown to me that there is no visual difference. It is not worth the hassle of the external recorder.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks as always for the reply, Doug.

I remember reading in a thread, where you mentioned the differences (or lack of differences) between the internal recording and using a nanoflash.

My only interest in using an external recorder would be for scenarios where I plan to use a lot of After Effects on the scene. I was figuring the "raw footage" would hold up a little better. Of course I may be completely wrong about that. But my indie aspirations include much AE, and 3D modeling programs.
Old October 29th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #4
Trustee

Sorry, but what's S&Q?
Old October 29th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
Sorry, but what's S&Q?
S&Q stands for slow and quick motion.

The Sony FS100 is able to do slow motion and quick motion internally.
Old October 29th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #6
Vortex Media

Slow and Quick Motion.

Otherwise known as overcranking and undercranking.
Old November 1st, 2011, 12:34 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Having done so this weekend, I can tell you that in S&Q in the camera, the internal card will be written as S&Q while the hdmi to the external recorder (in our case, the atomos ninja) will be in "normal" real time.

The hdmi feed is a video feed, not a data feed.
Old November 1st, 2011, 07:07 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
Having done so this weekend, I can tell you that in S&Q in the camera, the internal card will be written as S&Q while the hdmi to the external recorder (in our case, the atomos ninja) will be in "normal" real time.

The hdmi feed is a video feed, not a data feed.
And it's good to have it that way - using external recorder simultaneously, one can get both the cranked and normal video...
Old November 1st, 2011, 08:53 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
And it's good to have it that way - using external recorder simultaneously, one can get both the cranked and normal video...
That's a great point, and I'm happy you posted that. I was just thinking the other day, I'd love to be able to shoot undercranked and regular speed and be able to cut them together seamlessly.
Old November 1st, 2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Piotr: I agree! And was pleasantly surprised that even though the internal S&Q recording at overcrank doesn't have audio, the hdmi feed DOES so we have the ability to record camera audio without need of having an external audio recorder.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 10:26 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Quote: "Also, I know S&Q won't record to the fmu"

That is not true. You can record S&Q to the FMU, but you cannot record S&Q simultaneously to the internal memory card and the FMU. It has to be one or the other. That is a point I did not make very clear in my FS100 training DVD and I apologize to anyone who has been mislead by the way I explained it. Sorry about that.

As for recording S&Q to an external device, I've never bothered to try, but it would probably depend on the device itself. However, in my opinion, there would be no benefit to recording to an external device anyway even if it can be done. My testing of the FS100's internal recording vs. a NanoFlash at 100Mbps has shown to me that there is no visual difference. It is not worth the hassle of the external recorder.
doug-

so in the menu, is there an option to point the s&q footage to the fmu (or sd card)?

as always, thanks in advance.

be well

rob
smalltalk productions
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 12:23 PM   #12
Vortex Media

Yes. That is correct.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 03:40 PM   #13
Major Player

doug-

thanks for the quick reply.

i just watched your vimeo of the fs100.

you sure make the rhode island coast/newport harbor look as beautiful as it is.

i remain impressed.

as always, i appreciate the effort to keep us informed.

be well

rob
smalltalk productions

Last edited by Rob Katz; November 4th, 2011 at 08:18 AM.
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:49 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi all.

I'm a new FS100 owner who's been looking at the overcranking features and I'm a bit stumped as to the best option for Slowmo.

Do you guys use 1080/50p PS to maintain the audio and then conform to 25p?

or

Do you use the 1080/25p 50fps via the S&Q menu and dump the audio?

I'm coming from a 7D where we'd shoot 720/50p at 1/100 and then conform to 25p in post. Capturing in 50p on the FS100 appears to add additional steps (and time) to the workflow as FCP doesn't recognise the 50p files so is there any other benefit to shooting 1080/50p PS than maintaining the audio track? Is it better quality at 28mbps than the 24mbps 1080/25p 50fps setting in S&Q? If not then why shoot 50p?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Cheers, Simon
Simon Spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 02:29 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Guys - there is no such thing as 1080/25p 50 fps - if it's 50 fps, then it's 1080/50p!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta